R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New Novak Stock Brushless (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/120582-new-novak-stock-brushless.html)

syndr0me 07-06-2006 08:12 AM

Novak Stock (13.5) Brushless

I know there's a Novak Brushless topic, but this seemed like it might be worth its own thread. If things go well, this motor could be a very big step in getting brushless motors accepted in club racing for classes other than mod.

Check it out: Novak SS13.5 Brushless Motor

"Team Novak has had many requests to come up with a brushless equivalent to a 27-turn stock brushed motor. After much field testing on dirt and tarmac (asphalt) with some of our team drivers, we have come up with a wind that gives nearly identical lap times as a stock brushed motor. The Super Sport 13.5 Stock Brushless Motor is the result of all this testing. It provides lap performance similar to a 27-turn racing stock brushed motor, but with the brushless advantage of minimal maintenance, long life and increased run-times — a definite plus for drivers who want to spend more time driving than wrenching."

Could this be the death rattle for brushed motors? Probably not today, but there's almost no way this isn't going to catch on with new racers, and clubs would be silly not to embrace something that reduces the barrier of entry into racing for new folks, and helps keep existing racers from burning out.

vtl1180ny 07-06-2006 08:16 AM

That is excellent....

tallyrc 07-06-2006 08:24 AM

can i get an amen... brushless is the only thing keeping me in rc these days.. with the kids and my schedule, the last thing i want to do is spend my nights in my basement building motors....

Exterminator 07-06-2006 08:31 AM

That's great for the Novice class. But a few questions about this motor.

Does it use bearings? Stock motors must use bushings.
Does it use Neo magnets? Stock motors must use ferite magnet's.
Does it cost less than $40.00? Stock motors must meet this limit.

If your going to run these motors in any class other than Novice then the rules for stock motors needs to change to give the brushed motors the same limit's.

vtl1180ny 07-06-2006 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Exterminator
That's great for the Novice class. But a few questions about this motor.

Does it use bearings? Stock motors must use bushings.
Does it use Neo magnets? Stock motors must use ferite magnet's.
Does it cost less than $40.00? Stock motors must meet this limit.

If your going to run these motors in any class other than Novice then the rules for stock motors needs to change to give the brushed motors the same limit's.

The little motor companies are going to have to realize that the current motor configurations are going to be dead soon enough....

Stock Motors are silver can 540's, anything past that is modified... 27 turn spec motors should have a sealed endbell and I'm saving my Point Blank motors for the return of the sealed endbell... hahahaha....

tallyrc 07-06-2006 08:57 AM

the whole point of the bushing rule and the price cap are to keep the performance and COST down. if this motor has a limited performance, and obviously superior cost effectiveness, why change the rules? the fact of the matter is that since they opened the endbell, stock racing has become a game of batteries, motors and money... i'd like to see the hobby grow, and costs shrink..

Marcos.J 07-06-2006 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I know there's a Novak Brushless topic, but this seemed like it might be worth its own thread. If things go well, this motor could be a very big step in getting brushless motors accepted in club racing for classes other than mod.

Check it out: Novak SS13.5 Brushless Motor

"Team Novak has had many requests to come up with a brushless equivalent to a 27-turn stock brushed motor. After much field testing on dirt and tarmac (asphalt) with some of our team drivers, we have come up with a wind that gives nearly identical lap times as a stock brushed motor. The Super Sport 13.5 Stock Brushless Motor is the result of all this testing. It provides lap performance similar to a 27-turn racing stock brushed motor, but with the brushless advantage of minimal maintenance, long life and increased run-times — a definite plus for drivers who want to spend more time driving than wrenching."

Could this be the death rattle for brushed motors? Probably not today, but there's almost no way this isn't going to catch on with new racers, and clubs would be silly not to embrace something that reduces the barrier of entry into racing for new folks, and helps keep existing racers from burning out.

There was 2 a 13.5 and a 14.5 ,our ROAR region director has been testing it for the past few months in our State Series and it performs really good compared to the brushed motors.

Exterminator 07-06-2006 09:11 AM

I agree there are advances that could keep cost down and reliability up. BUT the current rules are keeping those advances from being used.

If this motor meets the current stock motor rules then fine run it. If it doesn't then keep it in the RTR class.

vtl1180ny 07-06-2006 09:23 AM

I agree there are advances that could keep cost down and reliability up. BUT the current rules are keeping those advances from being used.

If this motor meets the current stock motor rules then fine run it. If it doesn't then keep it in the RTR class.

The current rules are in favor of people who have the time, machinery and know how to get every bit of power out of the motors. if you're not one of them or running their motors you are slow....

You are advertising for a company that takes someone elses motors and tweaks them so honestly whatever you say is biased and stricken from the record... :p

lumberjak 07-06-2006 09:35 AM

What is the price point, with ESC, compared to a brushed set-up? I know that I'm up for less maintanice and with a reliabity increase (less for me to screw-up). I know the total costs would be much less, no com. lathe, no dyno, no raft of spare motors, no brushes to replace, no springs to tune, all of witch add to the cost and fustration of "stock class racing". Now for the "BUT" will any local track directors go for it?

syndr0me 07-06-2006 09:49 AM

Most people don't give a crap about the rules in club races. If it performs like a stock, who cares what technology is involved, let 'em run with stock. They didn't design this to use busted old technology to conform with stock rules, they designed it to run like a stock motor so that it's a reasonable alternative for people at club races where the tracks often bend the rules.

Screw the RTR class and screw the naysayers with their motor sponsors trying to keep something GREAT from becoming popular. This is the right thing for the hobby, regardless of what people who have mastered the art of motor tuning would lead you to believe. The end is near for the brushed motor. Seriously, what incentive is there to continue using them? Oh yea, sponsors.

Wild Cherry 07-06-2006 09:52 AM

KUDO~S to Novak

Bout Time !

Now this sport has chance to continue to grow , the novice is the bread & butter to this sport ...

The novice does not have to buy a lathe & spend 10 bucks a pop on brush`s each race day !

I`ll buy a Novak Brushless stock, so I`ll race stock again !

Its not easy to cheat with the brushless like the stock motor`s are now days...

THIS WILL HELP STOCK RACING BECOME A EVEN BIGGER EVENT !!!

Solara 07-06-2006 09:58 AM

This is definitely a good news....first mod, then stock...next, 19T...? Along with Li-po....the future of RC (hopefully) will be more racing and less tweaking...

lumberjak 07-06-2006 10:21 AM

I love it. Any time frame to the LHS? I want to try one in an oval car then in my tourer.

BullFrog 07-06-2006 10:53 AM

Since Novak has said what they did- I'll expand further. I had a 12.5 and a 14.5 at one race. The following race I had the 13.5 which is what I was looking for. Something to compete with the current brushed stock motors.It was also tested at the local paved oval track last weekend.I'm also running it at the local carpet track.
After using these motors they do spoil you as there is basically no maintanence. My brushed stock motors and spring and brushes and lathe sit on the shelf.This is what the hobby needs.Even in other electric hobbies the motors manufacturers are going brushless.
But you still can compete with the bushed motors and do not have to run out and get one.
The last big motor change was with the Kyosho Lemans motors in the 80"s. Out went the closed endbells and in came the new motors.