Mamba Max....

Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Exactly pole_position.The bannana plugs connectors was the problem.Now the car is like a rocket.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The type of bullet connectors Castle uses have been a known problem for some time. They will also contribute to the cogging issue when they start to act up. A hardwire is one solution, but to those that prefer to keep the unplug capability then these are an awesome option that absolutely will not fail. They actually have less resistance then equivalent length of 12g wire.

6mm bullet-collet connectors
Old 09-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

Ok it is clear: the cogging can be solved with hardwiring. But what length should the wires be?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 AM
Tech Addict

My wires now are 17cm and works fine.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Born2Run
My wires now are 17cm and works fine.
Did you hardwire them?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Ok it is clear: the cogging can be solved with hardwiring. But what length should the wires be?
Huh??? They should only be as long as they have to be to get from motor to ESC, if your going to cut them then you customise length to fit. More length = more resistance.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max ESC to use with sensored brushless motor?

Guys,

Read from another thread that a typical mamba max esc can be mated with a sensored brushless motor like Novak, LRP etc. Is that really possible? Did anyone tried that?

Appreciate your input.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Did you hardwire them?
Yes,I cut the bannana connectors and the wires and i hardwired them.The wires now are about 17cm long.I could shorten them more but this length is good for me.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

I installed my MM ESC and Novak 6.5 in my Rustler, RS4 MT and 4-tec and have absolutely terrible cogging. I cannot give it more than 1/8 throttle when starting, even when I do, it will take at least a second to find the position. When I give it full throttle, it will just sit there for maybe 3-4 seconds (I am not exaggerating either) chattering back and forth before it will "jump" ahead and continue in the right directing. But if I give the car a small push and throttle it, or make sure the car is rolling before I nail the throttle, everything is fine. This is cogging right? I did solder gold-plated bullet plugs on the motor leads (as recommended to me) and I absolutely do need the disconnect capability. So you're saying that those 6mm plugs will solve my problem? I am using a Traxxas TQ2 radio system (spektrum is on the way hopefully) and GP3300 stick packs and tired IB3800 SxS packs also, is that a contributing factor to my problem?

Also, does someone have a set of those plugs they could sell me? I'm not paying more for shipping than the actual product... This whole brushless thing is getting more expensive everyday...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kavvika
So you're saying that those 6mm plugs will solve my problem? I am using a Traxxas TQ2 radio system (spektrum is on the way hopefully) and GP3300 stick packs and tired IB3800 SxS packs also, is that a contributing factor to my problem?
No..I'm not. Your likely experiancing the effects of a non sensored ESC with a sensored motor. The plugs will help reduce the issue with all Mamba systems though.

Are you running Tamiya connectors on those stick packs? That is a good place to start if so...change to Deans.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

The reason I went with that motor was because it was recommended for running extremely cool, had a sintered rotor, and supposibly worked with the MM ESC which I previously had. And I really do like the motor so far. Should I go out and get a sensored ESC? I want to be able to run mor ethan 7 cells eventually, so I think that rules out the Novak GTB, but could I use a Velineon ESC? Although it is farily large for an ESC, it should get rid of my issue.

I'm running Deans.

Oh, and I have timing and starting punch set all the way down in the software.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (97%+)

I bought the mm 6900 and put it in my t4 way too fast for it but have no problems so far with it I do remember it stating to not cut wires it will cause problems
I'm very happy so far and would buy this again for another car when I need too
Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kavvika
Should I go out and get a sensored ESC? I want to be able to run mor ethan 7 cells eventually, so I think that rules out the Novak GTB, but could I use a Velineon ESC? Although it is farily large for an ESC, it should get rid of my issue.
The issue you have is mixing the sensored and non sensored systems. The Velineon is also a non sensored system and likely will do no better with the Novak since its a sensored (not sintered...different term for rotor only) system. Are you class racing and need a 13.5?? If not I suggest your best bet and cheapest would be spend $80.00 on a Mamba 4600 motor. You can go to 10 cells or 3s lipo and runs cool...will be a bit faster then the 13.5 also.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just wanted to tell u the traxxas setup has a sensor port for sensored motors

and i wanted to let you all know that a novak motor can be used with a mamba max, i just got third in A main at the hobbytown annual fall classic, which is in it 11th year, is the largest event in the northern colorado area, there was down to e main in stock/13.5, i pitted my 13.5 mated to my mm against a field of 13.5 novaks and gtbs, plus 2 stockers. i would have done better than third but i had to make my way out of a massive crash made by the area @$$. just need to set the settings on the mm correctly and get used to no mashing the throttle

Nick
Old 09-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxzhonkey
just need to set the settings on the mm correctly
Nick
What are your settings?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.