Wiki Posts
Search

Question will this damage my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Arrow Question will this damage my car

I will be receiving an Xray t2 very shortly and was wondering running it on asphalt very bad asphalt with little rocks being thrown up every now and thenin my front yard for practice will that damage my car. and if so where would be another optional place besides a track. this is my first time owning a car for racing and i dont want to go to the local track with a pretty good car and rip it up along with everyone elses. what do you guys recommend.

thanks
Josh
Old 06-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Chassis protector. It's a plastic film adhesive that you put on the bottom of the chassis.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

DO NOT run that car on bad asphalt and small rocks! Besides destroying the bottom of the chassis, there is a great possibility of kicking rocks up into the diff and destroying it. If you want to practice somewhere besides the track...try a tennis court or do some looking around for new shopping centers with fresh asphalt (even this I really wouldn't put my car on). You are not going to do yourself any favors by trying to run on that stuff. You will never be able to create a set up or even drive right if the surface is in that bad of shape.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by killingtime; 06-29-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go to a track near you when just a few practices put in some stock motor and a short gear ratio. Go slow first. Nobody will laugh at you if you hit things we all started like that - and most of us still hit things very badly sometimes... don't go in parking lots with that thing.

The other advanteage to go to a track that you can find some new friends who can help to start. Most of the guys are very helpful.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

ae do a film to protect your chassis bottom plate.
if you wanted to do it yourself, go to your local window tinting or detailing shop. in australia we have a product by the name of liteskinz, a lot of new utes (trucks in the u.s ) have hard covers on them, to avoid these hard covers rubbing paint off the tray they place a thin film along the top of the tub. It's a little thicker than clear contact, but not much. i scratched the bottom chassis deck to the point of no return on a surface similar to what you are talking about. I replaced the deck and covered it in this skin, the skin cops a fair beating still but you can just peal it off and start again.

See how you go.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try a Tennis Court.............
Old 07-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

just go to your local track...dont b afraid, everybody have gone through thier first time,everybody has once been a newbie... and also if you go to the track im pretty sure there would be around 2 or 3 people who are willing to help newbies....in my own experience i was once afraid to go and race with those racers on our track..but i was thinking to myself how do i became a racer if i dont run with them.... i did learn a lot of stuff just by running with them....
Old 07-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah, just run at your local track for practice, that will be the best thing to do.

For the record, chassis protector film isnt that good. I tried the losi stuff, and the hard plastic peeled of of the adhesive and left the nasty sticky stuff on the bottom of my chassis, which took weeks to get it 100% off. I dont know how the AE stuff is, but I would think it would do the same.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

The AE chassis film is money! (That's a good thing for all you Euro's out there.) My friend and I have been using it for a couple years and have had no problems putting it on or taking it off. If you have some goo left over after taking it off, use any degreaser or cool solvent (mineral spirits) to take it off. Takes two seconds.
Oh yeah....I wouldn't run that car on any "rough" surface. It's too pretty.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

You would have been better off getting a Yokomo CGM or TC4 tub car if you wanted to run in the street.

It's hysterical that these cars started as street bashers and now they are completely street unfriendly...
Old 07-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fantomcat
yeah, just run at your local track for practice, that will be the best thing to do.

For the record, chassis protector film isnt that good. I tried the losi stuff, and the hard plastic peeled of of the adhesive and left the nasty sticky stuff on the bottom of my chassis, which took weeks to get it 100% off. I dont know how the AE stuff is, but I would think it would do the same.
To get that sticky stuff off I just run my thumb (not the nail) on the chassis and it is easy to get off. Takes 5mins, and when you see your brand spanking new chassis underneath it is well worth it.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah, that wouldnt of worked for me, I had to use motorspray and penut butter to get it off.