Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya FW24- F201

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya FW24- F201

Hey yall, I'm looking for a good cheap starter car. I've been building combat robots for the last few years and this looks fun to me. I like the look of the Tamiya F-1 car, the FW24 on the F201 chassis, and I was wondering if this is worth the money? I'm looking to compete with a car and I really like how this chassis and suspension is set up. A lot like my dad's race car. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The 201 has many advantages. 4wd and the rubber tires mean you can drive it anywhere. The car is a little complicated and needs the lightweight diff set and reinforced a-arms to be trouble free. Use small speed control and receiver since there is not much room unless you get the MLP frame kit. Which also make's the car faster. Look at what is racing in your area to help decide since not everyone runs F1. There are other F1 cars to choose from though. MLP has a 4wd, a 2wd full suspension, and a d-drive F1. There is also Corally, Hyperdrive, and R/CIndycars. One good option will be the Tamiya F103GT (very inexpensive and superfast) which MLP is building a conversion to put it back as an F1 with the F201 wheels and tires. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

F201 is not acceptable as beginner car to race.
One hit from a fast mod car during practice will pretty much ruin your day. Car is all plastic, the wood screws will strip. further the plastic chassis will melt from the heat of the motor. I have a Melted chassis f201 that was hit from the rear because it was going to slow at the tamiya test track. That pretty much did it for this car. it will take a complete rebuild and then i will have a plastice chassis, which will melt again. It will pay to buy an f1 car with a carbon chassis. Check out MLP motorsports. they look the best to me. they have a thread here on rctech.net.

I'll sell you mine, just kidding,
looks good but it needs much work.
have fun.
wn