R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #16
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the difference is small between steel and ceramic bearings, but in my opinion, ceramic is better. For starters, I saw a lap time improvement from an average of 2.90 to 2.85 seconds per lap. This was with no other changes specifically to see if the lap times got any better with ceramics. Now, that is small enough to be other factors, but I don't beleive it was other factors, because it was consistantly easier toget the faster lap times with the ceramics in, race after race.

It's also blatently obvious to see that after cleaning the bearings, that spinning the wheels or axles on pan cars is clearly better with ceramic bearings. Since it is a minor improvement, I recommend ceramic bearings as one of the last improvements to purchase.

So in conclusion, I think that there is a very small but definate improvement when going to ceramic bearings. I don't even like to tell other racers that I use ceramic bearings. I like every little advantage. I don't even know why I'm posting this. I should delete this post.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:21 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

one thing nobody talked about on this thread was weight,ceramic is lighter. i myself run them in my diff because they last longer than stock, most of the time you can just buy rings for your diff an be good as new again and.just for the simple reason less rotating mass

i need all the help i can get
teamslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:41 PM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I just read all the related threads to this post, and the post itself. Some have very negative remarks, but even after all the negative remarks, they didn't say they took them back out and put the steel ones back in. Also, I used ceramic in my diff when running oval. I found that I had to rebuild the diff every run with steel balls in the Diff, but with the ceramics, I never once had to rebuild. I just put a set of ACER's in my mtx4 for a major upcoming race. If I can pick up less resistance and go faster with less power, or should I say drivetrain drag. If this results in being able to let off the throttle and let the car roll at the same speed for a longer distance, then the advantage will be apparent in fuel economy, as little as 2 seconds has been the differece of finnishing a qualifier and picking up an extra lap. Fuel econonmy is the only thing I am looking to truthfully gain.

As for the weight advantage, the full set I put in, I saved less than 3grams of weight, but I added 70grams to the car to make it heavier, and I removed 50grams to lighten it on the topside.

Anyway, I have already noticed that the driveline feels more "free" than with the steel bearings I had in it. Only time will tell as to what I feel on the track, in a month I will know for myself.
Am I going back racing?...Hmmm.. Not anytime soon... But soon enough.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:02 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Nice to hear some feedback on Ceramics as i have been considering getting them since the beginning of the year. Can anyone tell me what the best lubricant for ceramics is? and also what is the best way to clean them out? Not sure if it is different to steel bearings
jimbobmahua is offline   Reply With Quote