Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need a quick tip!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need a quick tip!

Hey guys, I already painted my body and did not drill holes yet =( On top of that, the body is black. Any tips on how I can accurately drill the holes? Maybe stick something on the body post so that when I take it off it's stuck on? Sorry about the stupidity
Old 03-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

I have had a little success by using a marker and coloring the tips of the body post so they leave a mark when I put the body on.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Well, if you didn't have the body painted, you could of set the body on top of the car and get a permanent marker and mark where the body posts were. You can get rid of the mark by just taking off your paint mask. Since you already painted your body, try to do the same but try to feel where the post is under the body and guess where to mark your posts. GL
Old 03-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

I USUALLY PUT A SPOT OF BOOT POLISH ON TOP OF THE POST AND LINE UP THE BODY CAREFULLY JUST ABOVE THE POSTS. BE CAREFUL THOUGH AS IF YOUR POSTS ARE HIGH AND LOPSIDED BY THE TIME YOU MAKE THE HOLES AND FIT THE BODY YOUR WHEELS CAN END UP NOT SITTING IN THE WHEEL ARCHES PROPERLY.

STEEVO

Last edited by Steevo; 03-14-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

since you painted the body black, use something like butter or another lighter colored substance so you can actually see it on the black
Old 03-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Or just back the area with white paint so the mark shows up on the bottom side
Old 03-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking ya or try whiteout....or some other light color nail polish

ya I've been there man....my first body was pretty scary...it had body holes as big as a penny
Old 03-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Take a bright light and shine it up through the shell you'll be able to see the posts inside or line the shell up on one side of the car and use a ruler to draw a line where the posts are.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by JohnA
Take a bright light and shine it up through the shell you'll be able to see the posts inside or line the shell up on one side of the car and use a ruler to draw a line where the posts are.
I agree, put the body on the car and line it up the best you can, and shine a light from the bottom of the car, or use "Liquid Paper" dab the post, and carefully put the body on.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

toothpaste, dude...
Old 03-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Gold, toothpaste will actually work, but regular white lithium grease will work better. Put a dab on your finger and touch the top of the post. You can make the grease into a little point if you're careful. Now slowly set the body on the car making sure to line up the center of the wheels with the center of the wheelwells and also making note of the the body being centered left to right. It's easier with the wheels on the car.

After you get the post centers marked, start off with small holes. You can set the body on the posts and see if it looks centered with the posts toughing the holes even even if the holes aren't big enough for the posts to go through. That way, you can bias the holes in one direction or the other as you enlarge them. That allows you to fine tune the body position on the chassis.

On a side note, for on road cars, it's also easier to mount the body BEFORE cutting the wheel holes. By doing this, you can take a tire similar in size and hold it up to the outside of the body and, get it centered with the tire on the axle and mark it perfectly. Don't forget body wash and isopropyl alcohol will remove the black marker afterwards....
Old 06-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

I usually put pieces of tape over the top of the posts and dab paint on top. This way I just pell off the tape without painting the top of my body posts... I open the post holes and trim my bodies before painting normally...
Old 06-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No one has suggested it yet, Trinity No-Brainer body posts. You put them on the body posts and they are each a sharp little point. You align the body up and press down and you get little indents where the body posts are.