Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
4hr Enduro Race (Feb 15) at Tamiya HQ >

4hr Enduro Race (Feb 15) at Tamiya HQ

4hr Enduro Race (Feb 15) at Tamiya HQ

Old 02-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I give my applaus to the Hacker Team... as mentioned, their brushless motor seems faster than any of the other entries... I particularly saw the battle between Dave and Ben in the beginning of the race... scary fast! A lot of spectators were actually cheering for the underdog, Hacker Team, including myself... =)
Old 02-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know what 'turn' HACKER was using?...I heard around the pits that NOVAK 1 was using a 8...

what about the other teams?...any numbers...Also was the Peak Team actually ORION?...anyone get a good look or pics of their unit...I heard their is the simplest layout (less wires)...
Old 02-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

the Hacker team used a brushless motor that was equal to a 7 turn to qualify I dont know what they used to race. During the race not only did they have to change a servo but they fried the speed control for the brushless motor so they had to change the motor and speed control.

Team orion used the orion brushless system while Peak ran a brushed motor. I dont know what the brushless motor equaled in turns but I think the peak guys ran a 12 or 13 double.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

How do you know how much a certain brushless is equal to how many turns in a brushed motor?
Did hacker or Novak say that? or is it just a guesstimate.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

They just see how hot the motor feels, and guess what that would be in terms of brushed motors.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Hacker BL system comes in as either a 6Turn or 8Turn equivalent. And the Novak system is more like a 12Turn with the rip of an 8T. The Orion is probably somewhere in the middle. In any case, I think we had a good glimpse at some of our futures
Old 02-19-2003, 12:26 AM
Tech Addict

Default I seem to read into your post that it appears

you were not impressed with the the Novak system. Did I miss read your posts, or did you think the system was good. I think there was a big difference in Novak's end product goal compared to Hacker, and the others. You said Hacker was favorited by many? Why?
Old 02-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I REALLY like the Novak BL system. I'll get one as soon as they're out

As for the Hack team. They're car was dialed in the qualifiers. That's why I think people may have believed them to be favorites.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

I think everyone tought Novak will be breaking all records with there showing. Then hacker manage to get the fastest lap and everyone was like, yikes!
Old 02-19-2003, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

I agree that Hacker had the most powerful 'powerplant', but what i saw in their handling, wasn't very impressive...which brought me to ask my previous question...

I do recall though towards the end of the main (45-30 min to go) they did seem to put down some good laps..a little too late though..

I personally got to drive a TC3 with the NOVAK system in it, and all i have to say is.... DAMN!!....dem NOVAK boys and girls did some good stuff..

after 7 minutes of running pulled the car off the track and surprisingly, the batteries were the coolest component, and the motor was very touchable, no where near as hot as the brushed motors i am accustomed to. The speed control's heatsink on the other hand was quite toasty...If anyone can explain this,..feel free..

Last edited by OSherman; 02-19-2003 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Trinity & Reedy a "No Show"

I would have loved to have been there, but the snow storm on the East Coast prevented me from getting there.

Question: Was this race limited to Brushless systems? If not, why didn't Trinity show their "endbells"???

I vaguely remember Erine making comments to the affect that Trinity would "never" do brushless! And other disparaging remarks about brushless!!! Seems to me, this was their (Trinity's)opportunity show what their motors can do compared to brushless systems.

Anyone know if Reedy is working on a brushless system?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

During the B main:

Team Tamiya (1st) was running a Novak brushless
and we Team TAOB (2nd) was running a Lehner brushless set-up.

Tamiya ran 3 1700's and 1 2400
we ran all 4 3000's.

Tamiya pits 1 or 2 laps earlier than us on the first 3 batteries, thus we were thinking that we actually have more run time than they did without realizing they were only running 1700's and they were piting so fast and driving well that they catch up right away and was in the lead most of the time.

In the last 12 minutes they made there last pit stop, and we were thinking there is no way they can last that long without making another pit.
So with our last pit stop at 8 minutes. We were hoping we will have the chance to take the lead. But low and behold they never stop and got the win...amazing.

We were running just a bit faster than they are but they were way more efficient than us.

It was a great learning experience for next time!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Trinity & Reedy a "No Show"

Originally posted by Geppetto
I would have loved to have been there, but the snow storm on the East Coast prevented me from getting there.

Question: Was this race limited to Brushless systems? If not, why didn't Trinity show their "endbells"???

I vaguely remember Erine making comments to the affect that Trinity would "never" do brushless! And other disparaging remarks about brushless!!! Seems to me, this was their (Trinity's)opportunity show what their motors can do compared to brushless systems.

It was not limited to brushless systems and Initially Kinwald was to join with David Jun and backed out later for undisclosed reasons.
If it is true that Trinity made a comment that they will never do brushless, that is to bad because it is the Electric R/C's future.
There is just no competition between Brushless and Brushed motors especially in an Enduro Race. I don't think any of the brushless motor that ran failed or even heat up like brushed motors within the 4 hours.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Trinity & Reedy a "No Show"

Originally posted by Geppetto
I know the HPI team was there and I was told that "since Thad is sponsored by REEDY, they ran the REEDY Ti"..looked in their pits and sure enough, REEDY Ti..

Don't know if REEDY is working on a BL system though...
Old 02-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not 'HPI team', Team TEAM! haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.