Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stock motor timing? Advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Tech Champion

Default Stock motor timing? Advantages?

I have an old reedy sonic modified motor (I did say old ) and the armature is pretty much finished with.

I'm considering getting a 27t armature and putting bush bearings in it just for a little *cough* fun

Will I see much of a difference compared to a fixed can 27t stock motor when I adjust the timing? What amount of advance of the timing would be considered far too excessive? I just want to adjust the timing for some silly speeds and see how much abuse the armature will take... BANG! ooops

Like I say,just an experiment really
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
I have an old reedy sonic modified motor (I did say old ) and the armature is pretty much finished with.

I'm considering getting a 27t armature and putting bush bearings in it just for a little *cough* fun

Will I see much of a difference compared to a fixed can 27t stock motor when I adjust the timing? What amount of advance of the timing would be considered far too excessive? I just want to adjust the timing for some silly speeds and see how much abuse the armature will take... BANG! ooops

Like I say,just an experiment really
\

t is possible, and it will work.. it will have quite a bit more pwer as well depending on timing.. I did it once, and i blew the arm.. Mod motors have a wrap around the lower part of the segments to keep the wire in place.. the wire is also soldered there.. on a stock arm it is not,, it will eventually come apart.. But hey Just try it.. no one says you cant have fun with it for a bit..
Old 06-22-2006, 03:39 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks,well my minds made up,I will be trying it for sure

I just want to see if I can get any more speed out of the armature by putting it in a modified can.

If I advanced the timing by,say, 40degrees is it going to end up in the bin pretty quickly?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Start small. I'd start with 28 degrees and go from there.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

True,no point seeing it go up in a cloud of smoke on its first run

Is there any way of knowing enoughs enough when advancing a motor for outright speed? Or would the base figure be 36 degrees (in general)

After all,36 degrees seems to be the most i've seen motor tuners tweek stocks to,but the old reedy can I plan to use has small cooling slots in the can,which may be the limiting factor on the timing...
Old 06-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Before rules and locked comms on stock motors, the 'hot stock motor of the week' made it up to 36 degrees of timing.. Then again, if you ran them in anything other than in oval, you were looking to dump prematurely. One way that we used to (uneducated, mind you) time motors was to hook an amp meter up to them and play with the timing, increasing it till the amp draw started to skyrocket, then we'd back it off about a half a degree. If you don't have an amp meter that can handle 50 - 75 amps, you could always put a massive resistor on it and measure the voltage drop across the resistor. Use ohm's law to figure the amps. We used to use a 5v 45amp switching power supply to run-in motors. This was back in 91 - 92.... Damn I feel old.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Cobra, used to do a 44degree advance stock motor called the venom, this was rapid!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

44 deg's I think I remember that- '94/95ish if my memory serves me right!

Hmm.... If you hear of a blown armature thread in a few days...
Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just bare in mind that cell AV is higher than when we were running 36' stocks, and IR is lower, our cells today can GIVE far more juice than a top spec 1700SCRC-SP cell. So 36 might see the comm blowing.

Another thought though, is you drop the timming like you would for a mod 10-12' and gear up. Other things to do will be to pot the windings to stop any coil movement and get the arm balanced.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

True- I hadnt thought about that in the theory. Well Ive got a old monster armature that should rev quite nicely. Just need to keep an eye on that timing...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

I remember the Joel Johnson 44 degree stock motor back in early 90's, like 91 or 92. Came in a white labeled can with Joels picture and printed signature on it. Back then it was ballistic, even in a truck. But ofcoarse like others have stated, times have changed with the batteries and also with the brushes on the motors. Back then they used standard brushes that were stood up, now they use lay down brushes which the more the brush wraps around the comm, the more it acts as if the timing is advanced. This is why you see many people in stock classes at major races cutting the comm down to a smaller diameter, to make the motor feel as if it had more timing.