Wiki Posts
Search

ANODIZING

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default ANODIZING

I wanted to know if the metalcast from dupli-color works on alumnun? If any one has tried this in the past please post some pics of the results. But heres a link if don't what this stuff is. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html
Old 06-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default Paint

It's not anodizing, it's a translucent paint. Yes it will work on aluminum, no I have never tried it.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've used it before... don't waste your time using it for R/C stuff. If you want parts to look anodized, then have them anodized.

Here's a shot of a PC case I did a few years ago using the duplicolor.. nothing spectacular, and the results don't look anything like anodized aluminum (that case was actually stripped and anodized a few years later.. night and day difference)

Old 06-22-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

If you want to anodize stuff yourself here is a great place to get stuff. Caswell I have a 5 gallon can of their anodizing/chrome remover mixed up in my shed, pretty much just really strong lye, the tree huggers went and screwed with draino and ez off....
Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Actually, it's the meth heads that had lye taken off the market...not the tree huggers.

Caswell is really only good for dyes, desmut, and sealers (I haven't tried their stripper..drano crystals are a nice source of lye and they work fine so far).. their complete kits, however, are a ripoff. You can peice together just about everything in their kit from various sources for about half the cost.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Actually, it's the meth heads that had lye taken off the market...not the tree huggers.

Caswell is really only good for dyes, desmut, and sealers (I haven't tried their stripper..drano crystals are a nice source of lye and they work fine so far).. their complete kits, however, are a ripoff. You can peice together just about everything in their kit from various sources for about half the cost.
I'm quite aware of that, but there's some good info on there...

I went nuts trying to strip off the origional anodizing on my 68 Chevelle's trim, I normally sprayed on EZ Off and it used to all come off when I was redoing aluminum. I tried everything, Oven cleaner draino... I ended up getting the lye from Caswell, it was a little pricey but from what I found out lye can be expensive. 15 minutes soak and the pieces were ready to be polished. Should have seen my contraption to soak the grill.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

is there a way to do it at home? i would like to anidize some rc parts, it would make my cars look sweet
Old 06-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Try http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html
Old 06-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you want to strip anodizing yourself, this is the only way to do it:

http://www.greased-lightning.com/pro...px?ProductId=1

It will typically strip anodizing off parts in less than 30 seconds... and will actually etch the aluminum if left on too long.

Also has many other household uses

As for anodizing itself, just find a local anodizer... they are all over!
Old 06-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kyle Wilson
If you want to strip anodizing yourself, this is the only way to do it:

http://www.greased-lightning.com/pro...px?ProductId=1

It will typically strip anodizing off parts in less than 30 seconds... and will actually etch the aluminum if left on too long.

Also has many other household uses

As for anodizing itself, just find a local anodizer... they are all over!
It's won't take off hard anodizing. You really shouldn't use it on aluminum (I'm guilty of doing it though) it attacks the metal. I have a partswasher filled with the purple stuff and I've occasionally thrown aluminum into it.

As for the other guy asking about doing it at home, if you had of clicked on the Caswell link and read what I wrote your question was answered.