Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Importance of battery brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Importance of battery brand?

Hey all. I'm in the market for some battery packs just for bashing(27 turn motor and just drifting, so not really a big load), and i noticed the huge price difference between cells like 3300mah(or whatever) GPs and ebay 3300 powerizers. What sort of differences are there between 2 different brands? you could get 2 6cell packs of the powerizer for the price of 1 6cell pack of GPs. if its just for bashing, does it really make that much of a difference? what sort of runtime difference or power difference could i see between 2 brands? sorry bout all the questions, but im pretty new to this. that and im a cheap bum. thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran brand new no name 3300's then ran used IB3800's. Huge difference in power. The cheap batteries won't hold voltage under load and that means a lot less power. The IB3800's put out a lot more power. If you like power, get the better batteries. Even good used ones. Also, get a decent charger.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

For bashing and if you need to make your money count go to Radio shack and get these for 25 bucks:

Model: GPTC204RS-2C1 | Catalog #: 23-319

they are GP3300 six cell stick packs. With a tamiya connector. Radio Shack will order them from their warehouse if they don't have them in stock on the shelves.

Are you sure your charger can handle the cells you want to buy?

What kind of a charger do you use?
Old 06-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'll be using an Ionic D, so im sure the charger will be ok. we don't actually have radioshacks anymore here in canada, so i dont think i can even get those batteries packs. on ebay a store sells 4 3200 packs for 50 bucks shipped with tamiya plugs, so i might go that route. i dont think ill need too much of a punch since all I'm doing is drifting and i have pretty low traction to begin with. i think what i want most would be decent runtimes and consistant power. would cheap batteries fluctuate power wise?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

The bargain 3200's should be fine, without too much power fluctuation. You might search a little more for higher capacity batteries (longer fun!), since 4200's and 4300's are about to take off and you might find some 3600-3800 batteries with quite a discount. If not, the 3200's should be fine.