Search

Schottky Diode??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Schottky Diode??

hey guys im running a duratrax 8t pro esc with a johnson 540 silver can motor
in my Touring car and i switched motors and blew my kit Schottky diode and now i want to replace it just to be safe. so does any one know what type i need??
all possible details please im a noob. thanks in advance
ps should a install a power cap ie the big ones included with novak esc??
Old 05-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

You could have sodered it the other way round.

Or your ESC might have a reverse function. Reverse and diodes don't mix.

The positive side of the diode is the one with the white colour bar. Unlike caps. Capacitors have the bar on the negative side...
Old 05-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yeh i know how i blew it i soldered it back to front ie stripe to negative and it went pop lol
but i want to replace it asap just to be safe
so please help
Old 05-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SB540 schottky barrier diode

5 amps rating, 40 volts reverse

An electronics shop might have them a lot cheaper than a hobby store. Higher numbers would be fine such as 550
Old 05-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Ive never ever run a shottkey on any esc ive ever had.. in 18 years of racing, i have never blown up or had a esc fry..
Old 05-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

I'm using 2 schottky diodes on my 23-turn orion katana motor, feeding him is my Novak Racer EX (forward only).
Old 05-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by macgyver1432000
I'm using 2 schottky diodes on my 23-turn orion katana motor, feeding him is my Novak Racer EX (forward only).

I've a Novak diode on...Just to be even safe, I solder 3 more on it...!!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi I just wanna ask, the diode that came with the KO Propo ESC where can I find a replacement???

Would I be able to use other diodes that are not from KO Propo???

If so what type of diodes should I use??? Can I get them from local electronic stores??? Help me!!!

I wanna add more diodes just to be safe so where can I find more diodes.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Hi I just wanna ask, the diode that came with the KO Propo ESC where can I find a replacement???

Would I be able to use other diodes that are not from KO Propo???

If so what type of diodes should I use??? Can I get them from local electronic stores??? Help me!!!

I wanna add more diodes just to be safe so where can I find more diodes.

I take back my previous post.. I did have to use a shottkey on my KO 2000.. The brakes would not work without it.. Ko sells direct replacements.. I think there diode was like running more then one..

A little tip i used for my ko one.. I soldered som 20 guage silicon wire to it the shrink wrapped the whole thing.. This let me solder it on with ease as well as not causing damage to the unit.. them tabs they come with like to break.. if that is why your replacing it just solder wire where the tab was..
Old 05-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Tech Adept

Iceracer
SB540 schottky barrier diode

5 amps rating, 40 volts reverse

An electronics shop might have them a lot cheaper than a hobby store. Higher numbers would be fine such as 550

TPG racer, follow Iceracer's advice.....
Old 05-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Why is it only 5amp???

I've seen somewhere in da forum where sumone is using diodes up to 35amp.
Where can I get sumthin like dat??? Can I get them from local electronic store???

I wouldn't wana get the diodes from the manufacturer cause its kinda expensive. I just wana get sumthin equivalent to the original diode from the manufacturer.

Btw, which type of diode are we suppose to use, rectifier diodes or bridge diodes??? It seems dat bridge diodes have higher current specs. I have a fren using a diode from a computer. He says he had forgotten wat type of diode is dat so I really need ur help guys!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Addict

Btw, which type of diode are we suppose to use, rectifier diodes or bridge diodes??? It seems dat bridge diodes have higher current specs. I have a fren using a diode from a computer. He says he had forgotten wat type of diode is dat so I really need ur help guys!!!!!!!!!!
The type of diode is Schottky. Standard rectifying diodes are similar in operation, one way current flow, but have a higher forward voltage drop. This means that until voltage reaches that level, they don't flow current. Schottky's have a very low voltage drop and are especially suited to the job of protecting the esc. Current follows the path of least resistance. If you use a standard diode from say a power supply, the recirculating current generated by the motor may simply be passed through the speed controller's transistors or built in schottky because they are the path of least resistance. I have no idea how they arrived at the 5 amp rating. If you find the schottky is heating up excessively at part throttle, then two (or more???) in parallel should do the trick. Solder them with some air space between them so they don't conduct heat to each other. Max temperature on a schottky varies, but around 125 degrees C is max. So if its too hot to touch, then perhaps you needed more current rating. 35 amps sounds like insane overkill, as I doubt you could generate that kind of current out of motor if you hooked it up to another motor and spun it at full speed. Don't really know, but I don't think you need to go to that level.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks man!!!

Well do u think this diode is ok for the use with the KO Propo ESC, 1N5821/1N5822 ????

The rating is just 3amp, but I think this diode is easier for me to get at the local electronic store.

Help guys!!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Looks similar according to the specs, but I'm not an electrical engineer. Sorry, Maybe someone more knowledgable will step in.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks man!!!

Well do u think this diode is ok for the use with the KO Propo ESC, 1N5821/1N5822 ????

The rating is just 3amp, but I think this diode is easier for me to get at the local electronic store.

Help guys!!!!!
Anyone knows is this diode suitable??????????
Helllppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.