Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Something Different for Carpet in the Summer (U.S.) >

Something Different for Carpet in the Summer (U.S.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Something Different for Carpet in the Summer (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Default Something Different for Carpet in the Summer (U.S.)

Just a thought to gauge if anyone else is in the same boat I'm in.

For those of us who would still like to run carpet locally in the summer, for whatever the reason, what do you think about the oddball race day format below?

It's meant to be flexible for any track, lower attendance numbers, differing arrival/departure times for each driver on race day, and geared more towards having fun than building a race resume.

Hate it or like it, let me know what you think.

* One class only - stock or 19t rubber TC (something different for most in the US)
* Controlled tires - One pre-built compound only. Whatever the LHS has a good supply of.
* Only fixed timing 19t brushed motors that the LHS has for sale (or has in the past, if they're currently out of inventory)
* Min. ride height 4.0mm
* No qualifying. Here is the multi-race format:
--- There are four total 'race' rounds that would replace the normal 3 qualifiers and main
--- Each race 'heat' has at least four and no more than eight cars
--- Endurance Race round #1 (6 minutes long) - drivers pick their heat and position from two separate hats to form each grid. The numbers included in each hat can be easily changed to accomodate the number of drivers in attendance.
--- Endurance Race round #2 (6 minutes long) - drivers stay in their respective heat, but swap starting positions (like 1 & 8, 2 & 7, 3 & 6, 4 stays the same, etc.)
--- Sprint Race round #3 (4 minutes long) - drivers start all over and pick from the hats again
--- Sprint Race round #4 (4 minutes long) - drivers swap starting positions again
--- If less people show up, you could even run an extra two rounds if ok'd by the brass
* The track direction would rotate each week, running clockwise one week and counter-clockwise the next
* Everything else is fair game (bodies, switching cars, whatever floats your boat...)
* Since this is for fun only, there are no points, prizes or trophies. Bragging rights will apply and your potential to win is only one round away.

This type of summer format allows people to come late or leave early, around their summer activities, without suffering any race position penalty that comes with normal qualifying. If you miss the first two race rounds, you can still show up late and draw for the third and fourth round sprint races since points and such don't apply. If you have something to do in the afternoon, then show up early to race the endurance rounds and head out afterwards.

Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Too complex.

Problem 1: Running two different race lengths will cause some people problems if their cars are only good for 5 minutes (e.g. they use older cells)

Problem 2: Running races "out of the hat" will cause clashes between fast and slow drivers, which could cause bad feeling. Could also cause crystal clashes which will slow down the whole process.

Making each heat about "racing" seems like good fun, and reversing grids is fun too. But the way you have described is complicated.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Interesting....

If your goal is to work with the schedules of people, why not have race when you come to the track. Example, Racing starts at 12:00 or what ever, then closes say 6 hours later, or what ever... You come and make 3 or 4 runs your call, but only the best run counts. You can call up your bud, and run with him if you would like... At the end of the day, the fastest run wins. If you race earlier in the day you will not know what placed you got until after the close. The bottom line, people can come race on the clock and leave if they have plans, but still get racing in. It is up to the track owner to start the clock, and if the clock is on, no one is allow on the track but who is on the clock. I understand this is more runing against the clock, but if you get a couple of people together at that time, you can have a mini race.

Just an idea....
Old 06-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Carpet racing slows down in the summer?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

My head hurts from the Chinese Arithmatic style format...
Old 06-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Main thing I think we need n the summer is more heads up starts and less IFMAR qualifying. Most of us can qualify at the best of our ability. What most of us cannot do is run the first lap without:

1. getting run over

2. crash and take out all the cars behind you

3. Peel the guy in front of you.

We keep saying were going to do it at the gate and we never do it. But its no ones fault but our own.

Theres always someone who has to or needs to be TQ.

Ray
Old 06-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayhuang
The Main thing I think we need n the summer is more heads up starts and less IFMAR qualifying.
Ray
AMEN!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayhuang
The Main thing I think we need n the summer is more heads up starts and less IFMAR qualifying. Most of us can qualify at the best of our ability. What most of us cannot do is run the first lap without:

1. getting run over

2. crash and take out all the cars behind you

3. Peel the guy in front of you.

We keep saying were going to do it at the gate and we never do it. But its no ones fault but our own.

Theres always someone who has to or needs to be TQ.

Ray
Gotta agree with you here Ray. Why do so many people feel like they need to win the race in the first 3 seconds? You've got 5 minutes to pass those in front of you. If you can't catch them, you don't deserve to win.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamgp
Thoughts?

Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

We are looking at having only 2 turn marshals for the heat at our track. The turn marshal will return the car to just after the start/finish line one at a time. So if you get turn marshaled 2 times in one lap, you would only count on the third lap one time. The point, getting turn marshaled should be a disadvantage... So make it one.... Then people may learn to not hit and get hit...
Old 06-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
Too complex.

Problem 1: Running two different race lengths will cause some people problems if their cars are only good for 5 minutes (e.g. they use older cells)

Problem 2: Running races "out of the hat" will cause clashes between fast and slow drivers, which could cause bad feeling. Could also cause crystal clashes which will slow down the whole process.

Making each heat about "racing" seems like good fun, and reversing grids is fun too. But the way you have described is complicated.
Good points. For us here, the only ones I've seen wanting to run during the summer are skilled enough to where there shouldn't be any problems.

Since there isn't any qualifying, there isn't really any 'traffic'. And without points, prizes and such, there isn't any pressure on the faster or slower drivers. Its just fun. The faster drivers should be more courteous and the slower drivers can learn a lot.

This is more geared towards lower turnout numbers as well. If a track has a high turnout, then maybe it should be running a regular summer season. I've been on DSM for too long. Wouldn't the crystal clash be workable with fewer drivers?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Alex Lopez
My head hurts from the Chinese Arithmatic style format...
Suddern rimatick!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bvoltz
We are looking at having only 2 turn marshals for the heat at our track. The turn marshal will return the car to just after the start/finish line one at a time. So if you get turn marshaled 2 times in one lap, you would only count on the third lap one time. The point, getting turn marshaled should be a disadvantage... So make it one.... Then people may learn to not hit and get hit...
Better yet, the Nitro guys at 301 have five lap $5 head to head challenge races where the drivers are the turnmarshalls for their own cars. I lost my $5 using a borrowed car last weekend, but I didn't get lapped or have to turn marshall! Now thats racing!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

simplify: 19T fixed, 6 min, rolling starts (ifmar or heads up lap counting). resort each round & invert field

its a longer run time, guys will learn how to start better since they're doing it group style every time. gives a chance for the guys stuck in traffic to get out front, and gives the fast guys some cranial activity to contend with.

rolling start procedure: all cars check in, then grid up. RD tells the field to roll off, pole sitter paces around the track with field in toe. when he/she hits the straight RD hits the tone. if ifmar lap counting, doesn't really matter where you hit the button. if its heads up, try to get everyone on the straight first.