Search

Racer needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Racer needs help

Fellow RC Racer needs help

Hey everybody; one of our own needs a hand. Tim Donley first came to my attention because he was selling off all his RC equipment to raise money for his mother's cancer treatments. I did some checking and this is what I discovered: Tim's mother is in her third round in her fight against cancer. This is the third recurrence; and the third round of treatments. The first two rounds exhausted the family finances. Tim's dad is working seven days a week, trying to pay for his wife's treatments; but it isn't enough. Tim has helped all he can with the money end; but it still isn't enough. So, Tim is selling off all his RC stuff to try to raise money. Tim's mother is undergoing chemotherapy; and she has to have the (very expensive) treatments, or...

This is the sort of thing that can hit any of us; at any time. I'm hoping we can all pull together to try to help Tim and his mother. How? Well, Thunder Road is going to have a "benefit" race in the next couple of months; just as soon as we can arrange it. I'm going to hit up the manufacturer's; and try to get some good door prizes. And, I'll put up some decent prize money. All the proceeds from the race will be sent to Tim, to help with the medical expenses.

Tim didn't ask anyone for help. He isn't asking for anyone's charity. He was simply selling off his stuff to raise some money. But I think there are times when we all could use a little help. And I think there are some things we should all do; simply because they need to be done. So, I'm stepping up to the plate. How about giving me a hand? Thunder Road will host a benefit race; the "Sue Donley Benefit Race". Details will follow shortly. Now... Who else will step up to help? We can do some good; and have fun doing it. If you need details; contact Tim directly. Thanks; Ernie P.

Tim Donley
215 Fine St. Apt. 3
Excelsior Springs, Mo 64024
(816) 630-2889
Old 06-19-2006, 03:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

wow,this is a real nice thing your doing.i would like to help.maybe we can do a raffle up here and have some of the manufacturers put some product up for raffle and raise some money this way for the companies that cant make it to the charity,we can still help.i am willing to put up a couple chassis kits.let me know if this will help out.its nice to see these kind of things.hats off to you ernie for putting this together.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:51 AM
alb
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Hey Mods, Lets label this "important" and stick it on top!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ernie
Keep us updated on a date. Full Throttle Motorsports will be at the race. I know that some of the Mimi's racer would be down for this race.
Let me talk to Bill Dolch to see about donating some motors and batteries for the raffle.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Bump for just cause. All the best. IGWT.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Default Sue Rickman Benefit Race

The Sue Rickman (Tim Donley's mom) Benefit Race will be run on Saturday, July 22nd (Road Course); and Sunday July 23rd (Oval); at Thunder Road RC Speedway in Gordonsville, VA. All race entry money will be donated directly to Tim Donley; to help with his mother's cancer treatments. Thunder Road will put up $250.00 in merchandise certificates each day, as prizes. That amount will *not* be deducted from the money paid to Tim. Tim will recieve every penny of the race entries. We'll open at 9:00 on Saturday; first round at 11:00. We'll open at 10:00 on Sunday; with the first round at 12:00. Details, directions, maps and more at thunderroadrc.com.

Any one wanting to donate door prizes should contact me at [email protected]; or send them directly to:

(Shipping address)
Ernie Padgette, Owner,
Thunder Road RC Speedway, LLC
6584 Tiffany Drive,
Bealeton, VA 22712

(540) 439-6085
[email protected]
Thunderroadrc.com

Any one wanting to donate cash to this most worthy cause should sent the money directly to Tim Donley at the below address. That way, you'll know the money gets where it needs to go; and Tim will know where it came from.

Tim Donley
215 Fine St. Apt. 3
(816) 630-2889

I have been pleased; and maybe a little bit surprised at how quickly the RC community has stepped up to the plate on this. We certainly take our shots at each other, at times; but when something like this comes along, EVERY ONE wants to help. You're a great bunch of racers, competitors and friends. I'm proud to be a part of this great community. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default Thanks!!

A couple of kits? That would be great!!! I'll see to it that they are used as door prizes at the race; and that you get full credit for your generous donation. A raffle? Even better! Don't wait on me; just do it and sent the money to Tim Donley. Thanks; Ernie P.

protc3 wrote:
"wow,this is a real nice thing your doing.i would like to help.maybe we can do a raffle up here and have some of the manufacturers put some product up for raffle and raise some money this way for the companies that cant make it to the charity,we can still help.i am willing to put up a couple chassis kits.let me know if this will help out.its nice to see these kind of things.hats off to you ernie for putting this together."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BMI RACING
Jason
www.bmiracing.com
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default Response to Steve Walter

Steve; glad to see that Full Throttle Motorsports will turn out to aid in this great cause. And, you guys will be adding some stiff competition to the racing, I know. I'll gladly accept any merchandise to be used as door prizes; and I'll make sure the racers know exactly who donated it. If some one wants to donate some larger items to be raffled or auctioned off, we can arrange that, as well. We'll take all the help we can get; but most of all, we want the racers to come and have a good time. Thanks; Ernie P.

Steve Walter wrote:
"Ernie
Keep us updated on a date. Full Throttle Motorsports will be at the race. I know that some of the Mimi's racer would be down for this race.
Let me talk to Bill Dolch to see about donating some motors and batteries for the raffle."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Walter
Old 06-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I would like to Thank everyone for the support. Ernie you are a great guy, I am still shocked you have put this together in 3 days. My mother will be very greatfull for all the prayers and support, This great community of racers is amazing. I hope I will be able to come back racing real soon.

Thanks Tim Donley
Old 06-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Hey Ernie,

As I posted on the other thread I'll send some door prizes to you if you want to have a raffle of some sort at the track. Or if someone wants to do a raffle on here I'll donate to that and all the proceeds can go to Tim and his family!!

Lets figure it out and I can contact some manufactures to get stuff for an on-line raffle.

EA
Old 06-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

This is a really cool thing you guys are doing. I know Tim appreciates all of this very much. I'm glad to see that the assistance is coming from all over. Everyone here in KC is trying to support him as much as we can and this is just a really great gesture from the whole r/c community.

Last edited by sesimon; 06-20-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default Response to EA

Eric; if you'll send me some stuff, I'll use it for a raffle at the race. If you want to organize an on line raffle, go for it. The whole idea is to get every one working on this thing; doing what they want to do, and what they do best. Don't worry about cutting each other off, just say "I'll do this". First guy to speak up, does it.

I'll do the race thing at Thunder Road; see if I can get some other tracks to join in with races of their own; and try to collect some door prizes and raffle items for use at the Thunder Road races. I'll also act as chief drum beater for anything we're doing. If you can get some manufacturers together to do an on-line raffle, go for it. I'll buy the first tickets! Thanks for the help, Eric. Once again, you have shown you care about this sport; and the people in it. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default Response to Tim Donley

Tim; it took three days to set this up? Hmmm.... Okay, Friday was my wife's birthday; so we spent Saturday doing her birthday stuff. We went to the races Saturday night; did the Father's Day thing on Sunday; have old friends visiting from out of town; big dinner yesterday at our house; work on Friday and Monday; okay... that's why it took so long. Don't worry; we'll get it sorted out and running smoothly pretty soon. With all these great racers pitching in, how could it not work? I told you the RC community would want to help; and they do!!! Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

If other track owners/organizers in different places wanted to get involved, should they just pm you? I personally dont run one, but would like to run the whole thing past some that do if that was the case. I've seen the stuff in the for sale thread and I think the guy is doing what he thinks is right for the situation. Props for stepping in like this!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Default Response to nf_ekt

Thanks for the response. There is no need for any one to inform me of anything. If another track wants to hold a benefit race, they should just go ahead and do it; and send the proceeds to Tim Donley. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be? Of course, it would help all of our efforts; if we post things around the web, letting the racers know how they can assist by attending the various benefit races; but that's not quite the same thing.

At Thunder Road, we're trying to assist a fellow racer; and trying to get others involved. But, we don't own the idea; and we don't want to try to tell other people what they can do to help, or how to do it. If individual racers want to help, they can send the money directly to Tim, or assist by attending a benefit race. Or, like you, try to get another track to hold a Sue Rickman Benefit Race. Manufacturers can donate merchandise, hold a raffle, or whatever they feel comfortable with.

There is literally no limit to what we can do, or how we can do it. If you think a bake sale or a donation jar at the local track is a good idea, then just do it; and send the money to Tim. Thanks; Ernie P.

Tim Donley
215 Fine St. Apt. 3
(816) 630-2889

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.