R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #16
Tech Master

At the recent ROAR Asphalt Nationals it was blazing hot out. I blew up a pack on Day 1 of practice. I charged them at 5.3A with a .12 delta peak, as a pack. They still charged to 150+ degrees.

So I went to CompUSA that night and picked up a couple CPU fans to create a sandwich stand. Result was I could control how they peaked for temp and could charge them harder, my normal 6A because it. I don't think I noticed a performance drop at all and the packs ran fast all week long.

Here is a picture below, you can see a pack I was cooling before charging next to my Milleniums. I left them in the fans until about 1800sec and took them out to let them come up to about 120 deg.

SXT Traction Compounds | www.TractionCompound.com
Jeff Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Owner of MMR charging batteries in a small fridge. Keep it reall cool while charging.
Attached Thumbnails
Cooling Batts While Charging-mmrcharging.jpg  
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #18
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

HAH on the Much More fridge there. Umm aslong as you keep your cells out of direct sun light while charging you shouldnt need fans. Also you have to make sure your peak detect cutoff is set to compensate for ambient temperatures. I raced Sunday in 97 degree F weather. I charged at 6 amps with a delta peak of 6 on my Much More charger...my cells never peaked at more than 125 degrees. From everything Ive read and the small bit of testing Ive done..force cooling on a charge is not beneficial. I only force cool on discharge.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #19
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ive tested the cooling idea before on a old pack and a new-ish pack. the matcher told me not to cool while charging but i was still curious so i did it once just to see the results.

anyway, yes, i got more mah into the old pack (alot more) put the punch was not better, so i don't see a point.

i tryed cooling my pack whilst step charging it during summer. what i did was similar to Jef Brown's idea. i cooled it for steps 1, 2 and 3 of the step charge, but took it off the fan during the 4th step. i got more Mah's and the pack peaked at a reaosnable temp (roughly 45 degrees celcius to 48). a pack step charged without the fan for the entire charge reached about 51, maybe a touch more. (this was hot day).

i only did it once and stuck to what the matcher here in oz told me. also on a hot day i tryed also placing a fan far away from the pack, basically so it is like a very small breeze passing through the pack just to stop the heat from building up around it...i don't think it did anything, and again, i only tryed it once.

usually if it is very hot, i don't bother racing anyway. it kills the motor, and it fries your brain being in the sun.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote