R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Is it possible to put a 2-speed tranny in an electric? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/118212-possible-put-2-speed-tranny-electric.html)

reddragon042391 06-17-2006 04:14 PM

Is it possible to put a 2-speed tranny in an electric?

Do you think it is?

jiml 06-17-2006 04:25 PM

Yes. HPI used to sell one. Problem is they don't work very well. The shift point changes as the battery loses power.

Ed Anderson 06-17-2006 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kyosho made one too for the tf-2/tf-3's. I won't say it didn't work well, but you didn't have any brakes. LOL Don't know what they were thinking! :weird:

Johnathan 06-17-2006 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
Kyosho made one too for the tf-2/tf-3's. I won't say it didn't work well, but you didn't have any brakes. LOL Don't know what they were thinking! :weird:

well, if you think about it, you cant!!! the cintrufical clutches engauge with the higher rpm, and because it has 2 sets of gears, it has to have one way bearings. because of that, it cannot brake under its own power.

a 2 speed would be fun though.... traxxas mad a 2 speed for an e-maxx, it uses a servo to switch to 2nd. if only you could cram a servo, and all the gears into a tc4... lol

Mdoc 06-17-2006 08:58 PM

AYK had one for the Pro Radiant that actually worked pretty good.......

18SS 06-17-2006 09:05 PM

ya man lol it can happen lol and me and my buddies have tryed lol it was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :ha: lol but it did work lol but it did as u said didnt break lol.

what we had to do, to get it in the AE TC3

cut the chasse and the drive shaft lol
get a HPI RS4 3 trany and drive shafts
and jam it alllllllllllll in there and we racced went faster with the 2 speed the in the *STOCK* setings lol and but tests we tryed it with the stock 19t motor lol and with the 2speed whel for us it acter like a 12t motor

peace-johnny
:tire:

Jeff Brown 06-17-2006 09:15 PM

Schumacher recently released the Menace GTRe which is a 3 speed electric car. We had one at Superior Hobbies and sold it to a customer and put a hacker motor/speedo in it. It is nuts. It uses the nitro style braking on it.

Jeff

teamgp 06-19-2006 06:19 AM

I have a buddy who has made a few custom 2 speed trannys (including custom titanium layshaft) that works on all XRAY T1's except the FK05. He's an electric drag racing driver and built it for such use. For anyone interested, he'll probably still make them . Just shoot me a PM.

The tranny worked great when I tested it on my old FK04. Although I had a Nitro style setup with a front one-way and Nitro foams. With the ESC set to maximum drag brake and the softer/wider rear foams, the braking worked surprisingly well without oversteer. Finding the right setup for each track will be a bit more critical when racing though.

I never ran it in a 5 minute race, but I'd assume if you used a Li-poly battery, the 2nd gear should engage more consistently throughout the entire run.