R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
It has a switch on the front that you flip when charging the pack inside the unit. Not sure if you still have to disconnect it from the main DC source. I'm sure the manual covers this but I don't have it handy at the moment.
I tried this with mine for the first time and couldn't get it to work. I checked the instructions, flipped the switch to charge mode and connected the charger to the MM. All it would do is switch the MM on. As soon as I scrolled through the warnings about the cups not being connected it would turn off the backlight, which would drop the current draw and the charger would think the battery has been disconnected. Has anyone had success charging the pack inside the MM this way?
stridervc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Originally Posted by JohnMatrix
Anyone else?
I alwyas run my CTXW off a 12V source, but have used a lipo pack on a friends unit. The nice thing about the battery option is you can go from 12V to battery, and take the warmers with you to the track. When you have a battery installed, make sure the switch is set to charge while hooked up to 12V.

As far as temp. settings, 155 degrees F is what I normally use. I have that set for quick warm. For "step" warming, 120 degrees F for 20 minutes (to bake in traction compound), 5 minutes off (apply more compund), then 10 mintes at 155 F.

To get the best results, especially when using RP or CS tires, the S cans are made to fit the smaller tires.

I have not heard of any issues with charging the pack inside the unit. Double check all your connections, and if you are still having the problem, contact James @ Much More, and he may be able to shed so light onto the problem.
Retired from RC....
Quantum - St. Croix - Bass Pro Shops - XPS - Rapala
A. Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:51 AM   #18
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
clint.. was this with the RP36s that you set up to 50deg. C? good thread nick...

sorry for the late reply. That was with RP30's
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 AM   #19
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default CA debonds bec. of tire warmers

do you guys notice that the tire CA debonds a bit when using tire warmers?

i use hardware CA and it seems that after using my tire warmers for a few times, the tire separates a bit from the rim. the temp is only 50 deg C front and 60 deg C rear, about 15 minutes on the warmer.

if i use hobby quality CA, will it hold better in the warmers?

btw, as to my earlier question re. internal batt for the much more IC controlled warmers - i already installed an old 6-cell pack and it works fine, i can charge it through the ports. i just disconnect it from the PS and flip the switch to charge. thanks for your replies
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

It depends on the glue you use - I would think most generic/Pacer brand stuff is what you can find in hardware stores, but *possibly* the TL and Pro-Line stuff might be different.

I think another way to check how hot your tires should be is to install the tire compound you plan to use, then run a few laps until the tires get warmed up. Have a friend pick up your car and IMMEDIATELY temp-check the tires (all of them). Write that down and use it as a baseline for what to get your tires heated up to. Don't forget that your tires cool off on the starting grid (one reason I never saw a point to get them for club racing, too many delays), so maybe heat up the tires, then let them sit on the same surface you'll be running on, and temp-check the tires every minute or so to see how quickly you lose heat. Then guess how long you'll be waiting on the grid, and heat up your tires so they are at the 'right' temp for the start of the race. Too hot and you have too much grip, too cold and you don't have enough.

Interesting to note that REAL Sparco tire warmers for motorcycles aren't much more expensive than the temp-controlled units from MM
Minimal signature to save screen space! Big sigs suX0r
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #21
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

thanks for the reply

i was also looking at ebay for tire warmers and saw those for motorcycles, couldnt believe how much our 1/10 stuff cost compared to those good thing i got a great deal on a used much more i will try your tip re. getting the tires operating temp. thanks. i will also see if proline CA will hold up better than the hardware stuff

also, a nice thing about the much more is the internal battery, i can bring it with me to the drivers' stand until the very last minute before putting the car on the grid. although i would really prefer a mechanic around, than me running back to the stand before the tone
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:45 AM   #22
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Do you find to have better results conditioning new/never ran tires before you hit the track? The track I race on is can get to around 130 to 140.
teamgravityrc.com - motivrc.com
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #23
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The other part I have not seen mentioned is that the insert is warmed. This also keeps heat in the tire. Surface temps will always drop but the insert is insulated by the carcass and to have it warmed and soft from lap one is also part of the increased traction.
UF1 Seattle - SPEEDWERKES - VBC Racing - Team ORCA
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #24
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JohnMatrix
Anyone else?
If you get your Latte's from Strabucks, you can use the tire warmers to keep your coffe warm, the cups fit right in them.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote