Search

TC4.Corally RDX. or Xray t2

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
TC4.Corally RDX. or Xray t2

Ok so here is my problem.
I Want a car to race, one that can be used in races.
If i get the TC4 RTR and upgrade it later will it be just as good as the RDX or Xray t2. i understand if i do it this way it will probely cost a lot more. i also plan to make this set up brushless, and iam going with the new Lithium Polymer batteries. also what kind of things should i buy if iam going to be getting into racing mayb enter in R.O.A.R or something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and any help or criticism is welcomed.
I am somewhat new to this Hobby and would like to learn a lot about it. i currently have a tt-01 Drift vehicle i modified it with a 15 turn motor brushed and iam stil using Nickel batteries, i ahve the ABS Drift tires goin (Poor mans Drift tires). so if you guys could help that would be great.

thankz
Old 06-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Tech Initiate

what kind of racing are you doing? carpet, asphalt? all of the cars can be good on any track, but the RDX and T2 seem to do better at carpet than on asphalt.

The TC4 is okay, but the other cars are on a higher level in pretty much everything.

I have heard that the RDX has problems with durability in the a arm department, so if you crash alot, that might not be the best route for you.

The T2 is a nice car. I know a guy that has had every xray kit, and he says that the T2 is the most difficult car out of all of them to handle, and that the fko5 was easier to drive.

May I reccomend a Yokomo MR-4 BD or a Hot Bodies Cyclone? The Cyclone is a very good car and Is taking alot of asphalt wins, namely the roar nats.

The BD I think is underrated. Not much hype about these cars. Masami Hirosaka drives a BD, and so does Billy Easton, but his is a bit different than the one you can buy.

If you have alot of money, go for a Tamiya TRF 415. It is the current world champ and reedy race champ.

I hope I helped
Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Xray is an extremely good car and is as good on carpet as it is asphalt. It would probably be the best out of the three. I found it very easy to setup. I had an almost perfect setup after the first meeting with it. The TC4 isn't really that good from what I have heard. I don't know to much about the RDX but it seems like a well built car. If you are going brushless checkout the Novak 4.5 system, it's very quick and easy to work with. LiPo's are not legal as of yet so you may have to get a set of NiMH's until then.
Drew.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi there,

I'd stay away from the TC4 as there is a new Associated car in development at the moment and you will loose loads of cash on this car. However from a purely driving point of view I'd have to agree with one of the previous posts a Yokomo BD is truely awsome, i switched from losi and first run i put 2 laps on my lap record. The car is easy to maintain and make changes to while at the track, its hardwaring and once dialed handles like its on rails!!

Then again its all about the money but get the best equipment you can afford and fits in with your skill level, e.g. there is no need for lipo batterys if your going to crash every lap, as any advantage will be lost on the first lap.

Good luck, drive hard.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Don't get a TC4. It's not a really bad car, but its not got the edge that the T2 or RDX have. The build quality is considerably worse too. To build a tc4 perfectly would probably take you double the time of the other two you mention.

I'd get the T2. There's little between it and the RDX, but the Xray is slightly cheaper I think and the RDX apparently has fragile wishbones and shock towers. I bought a TC4 FT and I'd swop it for a T2 on the spot.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

ibought a cyclone and ive driven better than i ever have...easy to drive and set up and damn fast, cheaper than most of the others too
Old 06-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

go with an mi2 ec, I have had the car for a while and like it a lot, I have not broken much and I hit a lot of things! Other wise I have seen the t2 and like it also. If your an ae fan, I would get a tc3 before a tc4. If you do go with the tc4, get the factory team verson.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would also look into the losi jrxs I have had mine for a while and have only ever broke a front arm a couple of times other then that its a good car.

also check for parts availability at your LHS before you make a decision.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Suspended

I'll suggest the same thing so many others do:

Go to your local track and see what the guys are using. Get a car that you can ask questions and get parts for.

If you're a beginner, you're not going to benefit so much from the intricacies between any car you choose. You will be focusing on maintenence, general setup, driving skill, and things like that.

With a 'hot' car coming out every 6 months (it seems), by the time you're ready to upgrade your car there will always be something new and exciting.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

From my experience, the TC4 is a really hard car to drive, both in terms of consistency and lap times. If youve got the means, pick up a T2 or RDX. If you dont, pick up a used Xray 'fk05. It will serve you well until you are looking for the last tenth or two per lap.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Get a RDX he's very easy to setup, allmost every shop has corally pieces in stock so! The T2 is a awesome car to and the Tamiya! Maybe the Yokomo BD Masami Edition! But stay away of the TC4
Greetings Ollie
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Don't buy a TC4...even the Team ASS guys don't run it...

I only saw one fast Cyclone at the Nat's

I see my RDX friends cars take a lot of work to change stuff, but a quick car

the T2 is nice if you run carpet and asphalt

I overheard a team Xray guy telling a team Tamiya guy at the nat's that the T2 didn't have near the traction of the Tamiya...

I prefer the Tamiya 415MSX, easy to work on and very fast...