Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is Droop and How do you measure it

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default What is Droop and How do you measure it

OK Guys kinda new to on road and im trying to figure out all the term and stuff im sure there was a thread about this but i couldn't find it. What is and How do you measure droop and why is it important? Any help would be great. thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

here is a screen capture of what came up when i did a search for 'droop' in the electric on-road thread.
Attached Thumbnails What is Droop and How do you measure it-droop.gif  
Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

and for additional help, go here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=droop
Old 06-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the best explaination i ever found for droop is on TonyP pages.

http://www.competitionx.com/Support_...lectric_T.html

It tells you in simple terms how to set it up and what it does.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

I don't agree with that last link, it says more droop in the front will give more on power steering, it should be more droop in the back-more off power streeing(weight shifts to the front of the car) more droop in the front-more rear traction(weight shifts to the back of the car) you usually run more droop in the back than the front eg, 2-3mm in the back,1-2mm in the front. hope that helps.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Droop is the amount the suspension is allowed to hang down when the chassis is lifted. It will effect how weight is transfered as the car goes around the track. IMO, the best way to measure it is to measure it above ride height. If you have the cars ride height at 5mm and you lift one end of the car until the tires are just barely touching your setup board, use your ride height gauge and measure from the same place again. The difference between this measurement and your static ride height measurement is your "True Droop" setting. (Ex: 5mm static ride height and lifted until the tires are just touching you measure 8mm, you have 3mm of droop.) Droop gauges are good for making sure your droop is the same from side to side but are pretty useless for getting actual droop. The reason is that your ride height, tire diameter (if you're running foams) lower pivot block locations etc... all can effect your true droop setting but not if you're using a droop gauge. If you lower your ride height by .5mm and leave the droop measurement on a droop gauge the same, you'll actually have .5mm more droop than you did before. As for what it does to the handling, a good general rule of thumb is that more droop one one end will allow more weight to transfer to the opposite end of the car. So more rear droop should put more weight on the front of the car under braking, therefore more off power steering. More front droop should give less on power steering as it's allowing more weight to transfer to the rear, planting the back of the car.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think droop should be scrapped from RC setup terminology. Its measured ambiguosly and the resulting values are not consistent from one way to the next. Too many new racers and quite a few others get so tripped up on this setup change siply because its measured so many different ways.

I think extension over ride height is a much easier and more easily understood measurement of the same chassis setup. Plus this way it helps you better think of how the adjustments apply to weight transfer.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Measured above ride height is the ONLY way to get a consistent droop measurement.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Easiest & most consistent way I've found is to have several shims with you. If you want the droop at 2mm above ride height & are running 4mm of ride height, simply put a 6mm shim under the chassis & lower the arm down with the droop screw until the tire just touches the ground. That way, all the tires are set seperately especially if running foam & one has wore a little more than another. It's also very fast way to do it. R.W.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I picked up the Tamiya height/droop gauge, and love it for that exact purpose. It's wide enough to sit the chassis end on the desired height, and you can change the screws accordingly. Plus, it's BLUE!

Originally Posted by Rick Worth
Easiest & most consistent way I've found is to have several shims with you. If you want the droop at 2mm above ride height & are running 4mm of ride height, simply put a 6mm shim under the chassis & lower the arm down with the droop screw until the tire just touches the ground. That way, all the tires are set seperately especially if running foam & one has wore a little more than another. It's also very fast way to do it. R.W.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sukh
I don't agree with that last link, it says more droop in the front will give more on power steering, it should be more droop in the back-more off power streeing(weight shifts to the front of the car) more droop in the front-more rear traction(weight shifts to the back of the car) you usually run more droop in the back than the front eg, 2-3mm in the back,1-2mm in the front. hope that helps.

you manage to make something explained very simply sound totally wrong and obscure.. congrats.

I stick by Tony Phalen s site, it is simple AND clear.

BTW, read hudy s setup book on droop also. you re basically saying Xray AND Associated are wrong.. double congrats !!
Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Do you really need to be a dick about it?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Patriiick
you manage to make something explained very simply sound totally wrong and obscure.. congrats.

I stick by Tony Phalen s site, it is simple AND clear.

BTW, read hudy s setup book on droop also. you re basically saying Xray AND Associated are wrong.. double congrats !!
Xray/Hudy use downstops to describe the change, which is the same but increasing downstops, decreases droop. So you are wrong about that! He is agreeing with Xray/Hudy.

The guy was trying to help, and I think he did pretty well. No need to shoot him down, you just make yourself look like an idiot... congrats as you would say
Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

sorry if i sounded harsh but you can t say what s written on the site i mention is "wrong"..
I may be a little bit over my head by it s hard enough to have a clean post to help someone who is lost about a definition of droop, then have someone bring a more complicated and alternative way of reading a simple explanation.

But agreed, it s not "that" important.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

I still don't see where his post is either wrong or complicated. My post pretty much says the same thing about what more front droop will do. More front droop will allow more weight to transfer to the back, giving less steering on power. What's confusing about that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.