advice on making a DC extension cord?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

advice on making a DC extension cord?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default advice on making a DC extension cord?

I'd like to make an "extension cord" of sorts to run about 12 to 15 feet from the automotive battery in my full size car to my pit table for use when parking lot racing. It would only be used for occasionaly charging or repeaking and maybe to run a DC soldering iron if repairs are needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive but appropriate sort of wire to use for something like this? I'm sure typical R/C noodle wire or a set of jumper cables would work, but I'm wondering if something cheaper from a local hardware store would carry enough current like maybe AC lamp cord...

Suggestions welcome!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Regional Moderator

Do not use a lamp cord. It will melt.

I would suggest getting a 10 to 20 ft. extension cord rated for 20amp capacity. Cutting the ends off of it. and putting clips on the red and black wires.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Do not use a lamp cord. It will melt.

I would suggest getting a 10 to 20 ft. extension cord rated for 20amp capacity. Cutting the ends off of it. and putting clips on the red and black wires.
Hey that's not a bad idea at all. In fact I probably have one more than I really need at home anyway, I could just clip the ends and be done with it. Should have thought of that first...
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Automotive Jumper Cables?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

I was contemplaying making 1 connector with big alligator clips and a 110v female end to attach to my car battery then connect a regular heavy duty extension cord and make another connector with a male 110v plug that plugs into my regular 12v power distribution box. Get it? 2 adapters a 1 standard household cord....
Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Power wires for car audio work very well... I use to do a parking lot race a while back.. i had a table a few feet from my car.. i used 8 guage black and red wire.. had large clips to hook it to the battery, then the wore ran to a distribution box.. this kept everything safe from arching or shorting.. it worked well, and can handle high power.. I think it cost me like 20 bucks for the distrib box, and the 10 feet of wuire..
Old 06-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Tech Addict

Use short wires with deans plug on one end and bolt the other end permanently to the battery using cable shoes. That way it'll never pop off when you're charging.

Then get car amplifier power kit (4 mm2 is good thickness) and solder pair of dean plugs, one to each end.

Voila you got your extension cord and easy way of connecting it.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Like mentioned above, car audio wires work great. Remember to Fuse the positive wire.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Plain old 15-20 foot household extension cord with ends cut off, Sermos plugs on one end for the charger and large alligator clamps on the other end for the battery. Got two of them and they've worked perfectly for like ten years, no problemo.
Later
Doc
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

use a very good quality regular extention cord, as short as you need, but long enough. too long is bad becasue of "line-loss" then just make adaptors with aligators and readily available plug ends from the depot... that way it can still be used as an extention cord for when you go places that actually have 110....
Old 06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is there anything wrong with jumper cables?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

a set of jumper cables would be best they make plenty of long wires plus it's 4 gauge wire anything else might end up getting to hot unless it's around the same gauge I would think.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the problem withjumpers is the massive clamps that pose a hazzard, and they are heavy and stiff which makes them hard to get to stay on your table...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I was going to mention jumper cables too. All the effort to go through and create anything else seems like a waste of time and money. Get some jumper cables and remove the clamps from one end and put whatever you want in their place. Heck, you could then even use one of the clamps you removed to clamp the jumper to your table.