Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why are so many leaving the hobby? >

Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Something I wrote several years ago, I think it was 1998.

"The BRT is about promoting the hobby of RC cars. Doesnt matter if ya race, or just run up and down the driveway. We feel that if we get enough people, pulling in the same direction, we can grow and make the hobby better. The best way to grow the hobby, is through new guys. If your a new guy, get hooked up with someone more knowledgable than yourself, and try to shorten the learning curve of racing. Some guys burn out real quick, if their gettin their butt kicked! Once youve become a veteran, its up to you to help the newbies, to get them up to speed quicker, and make the first few races more enjoyable. Odds are they will continue to race........"

Yall are bringing up some of the same points that we have been talking about for years. Thats what prompted us to start a race team and try and focus on these issues.

There no doubt that cost is a major player in getting noobs and keeping them in the hobby. I have been in races where guys ran a new set of tires every run. That ran me out of TCs real quick. LOL
Batterys are cheaper now days since we dont have to have 12 packs at a bill a pop.

There are two types of people that race. Those who need to because they need that ego boost. Those are usually the guys who have the bad attitudes at the track and refuse to help the noobs.

The second are the guys who are into it for the fun. Yall know who I am talking about. The guys who like hanging out with their buds, talking smack, sharing set ups, helping out the new guys and cheering them on.

For yall that go WAY back, will remember alot of talk about these issues on the net. Some of you might of been a member.

Biff.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lana
Kids that get into this and grow up and get a stab at some girls and get hooked on the pink. Then the RC crap goes to buy rings, condoms etc etc.
LMFAO!!!

Isn't Lana anal spelled backwards? You sure you got hooked on the pink?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Honestly (and I think we covered this in another thread), I think the problem is related to the decline of math and science in the schools. There is a lack of interest in math, science and engineering in our country and this hobby is very much inline with that sort of person.

One other reason married people will get out vs getting a divorce...we're afraind the pink will go away.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
LMFAO!!!

I'm sorry?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default biff?

biff gary biff gary??????
Old 06-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by santinuchi
biff gary biff gary??????
Yea!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Default wow

Originally Posted by ffiB
Yea!
it's tito dude! wjats happnin'?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Default oh

oh ok, yo comprendo..... adios.
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
LMFAO!!!

ROFLMFAO!!! You actually made me accidently spit on the monitor I was laughing so hard!!! Hardcore man...

-Sean
Tech Regular

it's tito dude! wjats happnin'?
LOL! Small world bro! I PMed ya my number.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default sweet

Originally Posted by ffiB
LOL! Small world bro! I PMed ya my number.
Sweet!!! good to know your doin good. real small world. i mean we are r/c racers has our world ever really been big?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Costs are a bad excuse. The average costs of the things we use hasn't changed in 25 years. It's one of the few hobbies I know of that hasn't changed much with inflation. Granted, there are far more items to "need" than there were when we all brought the car to the track only with the set of tires that were on it, but the costs are no different than they were years ago.

RTRs are definitely a reason that the turnover in racing has appeared to be higher, but I don't know if it is THE reason. I think in off road more than anything, you see a lot of RTRs and pre-built monster trucks and buggies driven by some people who have a lot more to learn about racing and being in a race environment. I also don't think that many of these new racers (with RTRs) have enough patience for racing and learning. You are NOT seeing these people selling their race gear on the forums—you're seeing racers getting out.

Lives change, people move on to different things, and the plain and simple truth is that if you plan on being away from the hobby (racing) for more than 6 months or so, you are best off selling all of your gear and rebuying other items when you return. The product life span in all forms of RC isn't long enough to hold onto your gear if you are taking a break from racing. The car, batteries, motors and everything will be replaced with new stuff soon enough, and your best bet is to cash out for whatever you can get.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

Sweet!!! good to know your doin good. real small world. i mean we are r/c racers has our world ever really been big?
Your in Ohio?

No, our world really never has been that big. Its like a small planet that to be treated gently. It cant be abused. But you have been around for a long time and you have seen what I have seen in the RC world. Especially in the Houston area. The 4th largest city in the US and we have less than 200 racers. And thats a liberal number. The biggest thing going on right now is 1/8th scale nitro, and MiniZs. Practically no electric offroad or onroad.

There was a time when I saw 120 entries at a local track when I first started racing in 94. Due to some of the reasons people have pointed out, the track died out. Luckily, Performance raceway opened and lasted quit awhile. But it eventually died also.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Active thread....

I'm glad I asked....nice to see a peaceful active thread...
I would agree money is a factor for some.
Some seen some guys leave because the wife says No way the weekends belong to her...

I've always have had questions or get paid a bit more attention when I started using brushless...seems like some tracks don't mind it..while others say no way..
but myself I don't have time to mess motors.

Nice to see all you guys putting in some input.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Initiate

I am one of those that are leaving and for me the main reason is time. I have four kids and that doesn't leave much time for racing. But a lesser reason is that I got my 9 year old into the hobby too and it's just not a good fit for young kids. I say that from my local perspective, it may be different in different areas. One of my biggest problems was that my son ran oval because it was easier for him and I ran offroad and the track we ran at ran oval and offroad at the same time. It neve failed that my race and his wer at the same time which wasn't much fun for either of us. There were many other reasons but those are the main ones, just to throw in my $.02.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.