Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Now, for the good news, as I see it.

I don't believe cost is an issue. I agree that r/c racing can be expensive, but I think the rewards and excitement of a healthy, properly organized and promoted r/c racing program outweigh the financial issues. People will pay whatever and not think twice if it's something they're excited about.

A young man mentioned he doesn't race now, but he would again if cost controlled spec racing were around. What he is saying is, r/c racing sucks and is too costly. If it cost less, I could deal with the suck factor.

Its far easier to promote r/c, get friends involved, and generate awareness than it will be to get mfgs to agree on cost cutting measures.

R/C racers are deperate for quality. Thats why Snowbirds has 800 entries and why Int Indoor Champs filled up in 5 minutes. And that's a $140 entry, my friends. Ask yourself, if a person is willing to fly across the country for a weekend r/c event, why won't they race in their own town for $10.

If my answers frighten you, perhaps you should stop asking scarry questions.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Out of curiosity, we live in a demand driven world or a consumer based demand economy.

However it seems to me that in the RC world, the suppliers and manufacturers are calling the shot. what gives?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Out of curiosity, we live in a demand driven world or a consumer based demand economy.

However it seems to me that in the RC world, the suppliers and manufacturers are calling the shot. what gives?
That is one is easy... Human nature, we love to bitch, we love to wait for someone else to step up, we love to mock the successful people. And all we had to do is get off our butt and do it, but that' effort then bitching about it.

Individuals are very smart, Groups of people are VERY Dumb. In a group, they become sheep, followers even if that road takes them to their death, they will follow. If you don’t understand that, then let me give you a real world example, US invades IRAQ.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

PUHLEEZZE KEEP your political views out of rc.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nagatahawk
PUHLEEZZE KEEP your political views out of rc.
It is not a political view, it was a "real world example". It is not about if you agree or disagree about it, it is about having an opinion that you stand by. I'm glad to see I it hit a nerve... Maybe people will start to think rather then follow like a bunch of sheep. And I'm sure not talking about IRAQ, I'm talking about R/C and the state of affairs today....
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

yes you struck a nerve,
obviously your using this forum to display your political views.
I like to see peoples opinions and views regarding this sport. rc opinions backed up by your your beliefs policitical or religious are an obvious way for you to force them on us there are others that do not share your political views. there are other forums air these opinions.

go to another forum.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nagatahawk
yes you struck a nerve,
obviously your using this forum to display your political views.
I like to see peoples opinions and views regarding this sport. rc opinions backed up by your your beliefs policitical or religious are an obvious way for you to force them on us there are others that do not share your political views. there are other forums air these opinions.

go to another forum.
Let's see if I can hit another one of your nerves......

So tell me what are my beliefs, religious views and how do I really feel about the invasion of IRAQ? Give me an example of how you feel I have forced them on you?

I really would like to understand how you got to the place your are at, from my posting....
Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Let's see if I can hit another one of your nerves......

So tell me what are my beliefs, religious views and how do I really feel about the invasion of IRAQ? Give me an example of how you feel I have forced them on you?

I really would like to understand how you got to the place your are at, from my posting....

Braaaaaaa !
Old 06-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yeah...not sure I've ever heard a case where a large group of people gets smarter...LOL...lots of people working individually can do incredible things, but throw 1000 people in a room and yell "fire" and the average IQ seems to drop by 50-60 points.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Evicerator
RTR Mentality:

Sure, RTR "gets more people into the hobby"... but it results in most of the new blood coming into the hobby being uninformed and incapable of doing a good portion of what we consider "this hobby" including building and maintaining their car, making changes to the car that effect its performance...etc...

If something is not working the way you want it and you are unable to fix it with the skills that you have...it seems like most people now will just shrug their shoulders and move on to something else... and I think that's what we have here...

But on the other hand if you can make a change to your car, and afterwards actually see the change, it gives you motivation... it makes you feel like you accomplished something and makes you want to try more

Sure, the industry is "picking up new customers"...but it seems like it's picking up and fostering the wrong kind of customer.

The Hobby thrives on the "come back"... on the customer coming back to the hobby shop to buy spare parts, hop up parts, maintenance parts... if you throw the tuning/support side of the hobby out... all you have left is the impulse buy... and this industry doesn't have the public exposure to simply survive on this kind of "one time" customer.

I know there are some people who start out with RTR, upgrade their cars, and genuinely imerse themselves into the hobby...but I believe that these are the minority of the RTR customers.

I'm not saying RTR is entirely bad or anything... I just think that the mentality that it and the industry are fostering are not good for the industry's long term health...
The same thing has happened to the airplane market, it used to be that you have to have great interest in planes to fly. You used to have to actually build the plane, rig it,cover it, and set it up. You have to be a craftsmen,engineer,electrics wiz,etc. People stayed in the hobby for lifetimes because of what you learned. Some of these things even helped people in the real life jobs. But now people just buy a plane and go fly. Then they get bored of just flying so they give up and move on.They learn nothing about what it takes to fly. The companies have created there own failure with RTRs. Look at helicopters, when I started flying there wasnt many people around that could actually fly a helicopter, you had to learn the control system and its influence of the model.Heck there was only one magazine for helis now there is four or five. But people who could fly loved it and did it no matter the cost. Trust me when I say it hurts to smash a 700 dollar heli into the ground and have nothing left. But the next day your ordering a another one because it is so much fun. I have raced rc off and on for about 18 years. Add I see the hobby going that way. Sad really...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sampson Simpson
Now, for the good news, as I see it.

I don't believe cost is an issue. I agree that r/c racing can be expensive, but I think the rewards and excitement of a healthy, properly organized and promoted r/c racing program outweigh the financial issues. People will pay whatever and not think twice if it's something they're excited about.

A young man mentioned he doesn't race now, but he would again if cost controlled spec racing were around. What he is saying is, r/c racing sucks and is too costly. If it cost less, I could deal with the suck factor.

Its far easier to promote r/c, get friends involved, and generate awareness than it will be to get mfgs to agree on cost cutting measures.

R/C racers are deperate for quality. Thats why Snowbirds has 800 entries and why Int Indoor Champs filled up in 5 minutes. And that's a $140 entry, my friends. Ask yourself, if a person is willing to fly across the country for a weekend r/c event, why won't they race in their own town for $10.

If my answers frighten you, perhaps you should stop asking scarry questions.
sampson,
i agree with the sentiment of what you're saying, totally ... but i will add this - flying across the country for an event is not something most people do often. they treat it as a vacation, and when they do it, they go big (in the case of die hard tcs racers its part of their yearly budget). in most cases these same people probably aren't ready to spend that kind of dough every week at club races. those are treated as special events with marquee drivers and just being there to watch the races is exciting, let alone participating.
my point is that a "quality racing experience" as you put it IS possible, but often at a premium (doesn't have to be, but for many people/clubs it is). i think if the quality of club racing were possible with costs more accessible to more people, then, like you said, more people would do it.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Tech Rookie

I belive so many people are leaving this hobby because of stupid full factory Stock racers. Stock racing is supposed to be for up and coming new racers, but now there are these teams that pay for there factory stock drivers travel so that they can go out and beat up and coming racers that have to pay for all of there equipment. You know who those teams are, and i belive its complete B.S.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy
I belive so many people are leaving this hobby because of stupid full factory Stock racers. Stock racing is supposed to be for up and coming new racers, but now there are these teams that pay for there factory stock drivers travel so that they can go out and beat up and coming racers that have to pay for all of there equipment. You know who those teams are, and i belive its complete B.S.
Quit bitching, because you can't keep up with them. If your boss tells you to clean the toilets, more than likely your going to. I know a few of those drivers your talking about. And their told what class to race. And I also know drivers that can run with them any day of the week in stock. Start practicing in 19turn, it will help your stock game alot. And, also it doesn't sound like you have much of a backbone, since you don't want race the best.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default dude WTF

the average guy...never meets a full factory racer..or ever gets to go to a national event unless it's local to him/her....I would love to go to a big event but would i care who is sponsored or not.....NOOOO....because I'll be in W main....not the A main...and hate to say it
But the people who spend the most money are not the guys in the A it's the guy in D,C and B mainer....next time you're at a track....take a look at who has the backup car..who has two charger..or at least is sharing his two of something with someone else who has two of something...(Say that 5 times fast)

i like to race..but other things are drawing me out...not who the hell is sponsored or who won this event or that one...I like to watch the race videos

and think of it this way...if there are so many sponsored stockers...then wouldn't that equate to the A main being a Pro/expert stock main anyway....hmmmm...who cares...i just like to see the race..

just a side note: this seems to be on of the highest hit (ratio) thread going on....must be slow season...

Last edited by olhipster1; 06-14-2006 at 09:18 PM. Reason: keeping it friendly : )
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I'd say if more were to discover the 12th scale scene they would be less likely to quit. It's cheap,fast, clean racing. Time I spend (spent) rebuilding my TC: about 2 days in all. Time I spend to freshen up my 12th: usually less than 2 hours. 4 cell packs-cheap. 12th scale shells-cheap. Upgrade a 12l4 to full CRC or Hara style--under 100 bux, and far from required to be quick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.