Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to hobby, suggest starter kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to hobby, suggest starter kit

I've recently purchased a used R/C car, and really enjoy it. But its a Yinrun, and therefore isn't modifiable (or even repairable). I did paint and install a new body (an HPI Ford GT). Now I'm seriously considering getting a real kit.

Requirements:

1/10
Electric
On-road
I do not intend to race it (at least right now), but will take it to the local track.
I want to be able to upgrade it, and tweak it.
Moderately priced, not expensive.

Any suggestions on companies and chassis (I intend to use custom painted bodies from the start)?

Thanx,
Troy
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Goto your local hobby shop and see what brands they sell. I would advise getting a car that they support with parts, because waiting to get parts from online stores all the time is a pain.

There are a lot of guys on here who are really liking the Tamiya TA05, it seems to be very capable out of the box for racing, plus its not to expensive. They are also avaliable with many different (and very nice) bodies.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

What company's part does your LHS carry? That is direction you should go... Me personal... TC4 used, but hey that is because I can parts at most LHS and since I'm still a newbie, getting part is more important then having the best. When you have parts available you can fix your car and get back on the track, not setting around and waiting on parts to fix your car....
Old 06-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The Tamiya TA05 and Hot Bodies Cyclone S (not yet released) come to mind. They both appear to be fine cars right out of the box with a very nice upgrade path if you decide to start racing competitively.

Also, if you don't mind getting a used car, you can get great deals on an XRay FK05. It's a fine car that's as good as any on the market, and quite durable as well.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I would start with a used tc3 and work up from there... They are still pretty competitive
Old 06-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Rookie

A XXX-S 2 ready to run is not a bad deal with the speedo and raido system that it comes with and still is a ok car.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

i second on that tamiya advice... although i didnt have that car but just for the name and the price i kinda like it... i think its the cheapest car that is competitive out of the box..but then again second thing is parts availability when i first started thats the first thing that it came on my mind the parts cause i know by fact that im gonna break something.if your living in america mostly team losi or associated parts and cars are more likely available..if you got those in your lhs go for the xxx-s its not a bad car . the tc4 for me is not really that good (the rtr one to be specific) for starters ,cause you will be most likely spend more time fixing it than running.thats just my OWN opinion... then lastly if you got a track near by where you could run just ask the people there on whats the best car to run on that specific track.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
I would start with a used tc3 and work up from there... They are still pretty competitive
yeah you can pick one up on ebay for around 40 quid
Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

i will third tamiya... the ta05 is an excellent option that is upgradable... and is drivable.

always make sure parts are avaliable in ur local area. always ask local racers what to race...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanx for the advice. I will call my lhs when it opens this morning.

What brand is an xxx-s?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Team Associated TC4. Has alot of upgrade capabilities, parts are abundant, easy to work on, and can become a racer.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Addict

Get a RTR kit. Tamiya kits are good and hold up well. You can alwys get a better car and spend more oney once you figure out that you like it.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Rookie

I am strongly favoring the Tamiya Ferrari TA-05 kit. But I have a few more newbie questions:
  1. Radio: 2-channel with one servo
  2. Body width? (200, 190, or both?)
  3. I bought 26mm wheels/tires thinking they would fit my Yinrun. The kit comes with 24mm wheels. Does the chasis determine the wheel width, or the body style?
  4. Ideas on electronic speed controls?
  5. Do I need anything other than a radio, batteries, speed controller, and charger to get running?

I haven't discounted the TC4 yet, but the TA-05 seems to be my best fit so far.

Thanx,
Troy
Old 06-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The_Raptor
I am strongly favoring the Tamiya Ferrari TA-05 kit. But I have a few more newbie questions:
  1. Radio: 2-channel with one servo
  2. Body width? (200, 190, or both?)
  3. I bought 26mm wheels/tires thinking they would fit my Yinrun. The kit comes with 24mm wheels. Does the chasis determine the wheel width, or the body style?
  4. Ideas on electronic speed controls?
  5. Do I need anything other than a radio, batteries, speed controller, and charger to get running?

I haven't discounted the TC4 yet, but the TA-05 seems to be my best fit so far.

Thanx,
Troy
Tamiya kits are the best in the industry, parts fit perfectlyand they have an excellent instruction manual.

For radios, Futaba has an AM Radio that comes with an electronic speed control included with the radio. Good for beginners and it cost around $100.

Tamiya's take a 190 mm body.

the 26 mms will fit depending upon the offset. If it is not offset, it would be still to wide for a tamiya body. Tamiya bodies are a narrower than all the other brands of 190 mm bodies.

Any of the low to mid range price Novaks would be a good starter.
LRP makes good speed controls also.

Tamiya bodies are arguably the most to scale realistic bodies. However Yokomo have some very beautiful Drift Car bodies, with authentic spoilers, sponser graphics, georgeouse wheels, lighting kits. All expensive but very nice. Tamiya is coming out with their own versions of drift bodies. probably cost the same as the yokomo. prices start around 50 bucks. check out their websites.

Have fun!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

What brand is an xxx-s?
team losi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.