Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
PLASTIC OUTDRIVES?? WTF >

PLASTIC OUTDRIVES?? WTF

PLASTIC OUTDRIVES?? WTF

Old 06-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ev0l
cool, yeah I based my price on the full conversion kits which was the first thing I found. If the stock bearings will work then the cost is not that great at all. Thanks for the info man!
Happy to help, this confounded me a little when I bought my TC4 as well. Just so you know, it's not really so much "the parts from a TC3" as it is "the parts the cars share". There's no such thing as an outdrive specifically for the TC4 versus the TC3. Even a lot of parts from the nitro version of the TC3 work on the TC4 (in fact the big bumper isn't a bad idea).

In fact, with the number of parts these cars share, I'll be very interested to see just how much of a revolution the new AE belt car will be (currently prototype only, they just ran them in the REEDY race) when it gets released. I have always appreciated how AE doesn't swap parts out "just because" on new models, a tradition that goes all the way back to the first RC10 buggies. Interchangable stuff makes life a lot easier for both racers and hobby shop owners!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by baih
if you are going to race stock, leave the plastic outdrives on. if your going to run mod or a brushless, then get the steel lightened outdrives.
I've raced with the plastic outdrives in 19t for over 20 race days (about 100 runs!) without them needing replacing (this is with a spool up front too). I ran mod (10x2) this weekend and destroyed them in 2 heats!!!!

Plastic ones are fine in stock and 19t if you keep them form slipping but get the lightened steel ones ones or IRS aluminium ones and the irs dog bones with pin cushions if running mod.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JL
Plastic ones are fine in stock and 19t if you keep them form slipping
That's the key. In stock and 19t you have to build the diffs properly and keep them from slipping. That's where the problem comes in. Slippage generates heat and leads to the destruction of hte outdrives.

I've always run the plastic diffs and have never destroyed one in stock or 19t.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tunnelhead
Buyer beware. I guess you get what you pay for. That is why I bought a Xray!
Poor argument as you also paid over $100.00 MORE for the Xray.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
X2
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by koabich
Poor argument as you also paid over $100.00 MORE for the Xray.
The $100 more IS the argument..... You Get What You Pay For; you pay for more, you get more.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The factory team kit comes with both the plastic and lightened steel outdrives. If someone needs a set of the steel, I've got one that's brand new, never used since my plastic ones work wonderfully Give me a shout and I'll get them to you for a fair price.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I picked up a set of steel outdrives and spares at my LHS today, cost a bit over 30 bucks, I'm happy now, I'll sacifice some weight for piece of mind.

I honestly do look at the xray and other high end carpet cars and drool over the pure bling of the graphite, titanium and all, but at heart I am a dirt guy and the layout of the TC4 makes it real easy for me to go back and forth. If any of you guys race at fastlane in Kansas city I'll being seeing you around there soon now that I can finish my car

I appreciate the help in this matter for those of you who were willing to lend a hand and not criticize my brand choice.