Wiki Posts
Search

trinity DPD digital pro discharger!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Reduced discharge time!

Don't know if anybody has tried this or if this is recommended by Trinity but I've used the external pulse discharger on my batteries first then equalized them on the internal. I've reduced my discharge time by half! The batteries do get warm but not hot! So, your getting the benefit of the pulse but then after their done you can equalize them afterwards, then start charging! I've done this when I was short on time. I believe the time is reduced because the external doesn't stop pulsing at 30 amps after one cell is done.
The internal pulses 30 amps after one cell reaches .9v then it only pulses at a very low amperage until all the cells reach .9v, that's whats causing the long discharge time!
Let me know if anyone has done this or any comments on this procedure!
Old 09-29-2007, 01:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
Don't know if anybody has tried this or if this is recommended by Trinity but I've used the external pulse discharger on my batteries first then equalized them on the internal. I've reduced my discharge time by half! The batteries do get warm but not hot! So, your getting the benefit of the pulse but then after their done you can equalize them afterwards, then start charging! I've done this when I was short on time. I believe the time is reduced because the external doesn't stop pulsing at 30 amps after one cell is done.
The internal pulses 30 amps after one cell reaches .9v then it only pulses at a very low amperage until all the cells reach .9v, that's whats causing the long discharge time!
Let me know if anyone has done this or any comments on this procedure!
and risk cell reversal.

if you have one cell that is much lower than the others, thus taking forever to discharge, this is telling you something.... u have a dud cell

if you have a good equlized pack, the 1amp discharge stage should only take 10 or so minutes.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

that's right.
when u do an external pack discharge, there is absolutely no way it will know if one cell has dropped below 0.9v because it's looking at the pack as a whole.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

IF your using external just after a run in your car i dont think cell reversal is an issue. IF your trying to run a pack 2-3 times in one day this is no different then dumping on a T35 after a run and hitting the tray. But i would not be doing this on a pack thats been stored with partial charge for a week or so, as then your risking pulling one or two cells down bellow .9 while other cells still hold capacity... Still its not a true 30amps and i would not even worry about it that much, you would not throw an stored pack on at 30amps liniar from a turbo 35 for sure.

IF a cell keeps showig up as a weak cell the DPD has done its job and pointed out a dud. I have cycled and resorted dozens of packs and have turned crappy packs into usable race packs
Old 09-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just a question here... Has anyone tried opening up the case to switch the polarity order around? By this I mean switching cell 1 with cell 6, cell 2 with 5, cell 3 with 4. In theory this will allow for a sideXside pack with the opposite polarity to be used on the DPD. I don't have any packs that are assembled in the normal order of the DPD, so switching wouldn't faze me. Also, its a S/H unit, so no warranty either!

Normal DPD polarity:
+ - + - + -
| | | | | |
- + - + - +

Polarity of my cells:
- + - + - +
| | | | | |
+ - + - + -

Was thinking about it, and it shouldn't matter. Just have to note that the cell numbers displayed on the screen would be reversed.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
IF your using external just after a run in your car i dont think cell reversal is an issue. IF your trying to run a pack 2-3 times in one day this is no different then dumping on a T35 after a run and hitting the tray. But i would not be doing this on a pack thats been stored with partial charge for a week or so, as then your risking pulling one or two cells down bellow .9 while other cells still hold capacity... Still its not a true 30amps and i would not even worry about it that much, you would not throw an stored pack on at 30amps liniar from a turbo 35 for sure.

IF a cell keeps showig up as a weak cell the DPD has done its job and pointed out a dud. I have cycled and resorted dozens of packs and have turned crappy packs into usable race packs
how did u go about restorin these packs to good form?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Zack, I opened mine up thinking it was defective. Turned out it just doesn't work on 5cell packs. I highly doubt you could switch it around internally - it might even be IMPossible. Can't you just turn your pack over and/or spin it around?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

I have used my DPD for about 6 months now with no problems at all. I do think it's a good piece of kit and agree that it does take ages to get all the cells down to .9v each. I have also used it to find weak cells within a pack and then resolder all the good ones to make a good pack from 3 bad packs, again, useful for that. Has anyone else noticed that not all DPD's have the same start up message? Sounds silly but my friends unit says something differant to mine and another friends says something totally differant to both of ours! Strange!!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

I have one also and love it.

I gave up a gfx and use a backlighted ice and the DPD to treat my batteries and also match - this is handy as hell and a lot quicker than one cell at a time matching process. I know it is not true numbers to what a gfx or ce matcher could do but for the racing I do it works great and tells the true story on the cells performance.

Wish they offered a 30 true discharge rate but understand the heat and saftey issues in that small package.

Does anyone make skinz for these???? Would be nice to customize it.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Just a question here... Has anyone tried opening up the case to switch the polarity order around? By this I mean switching cell 1 with cell 6, cell 2 with 5, cell 3 with 4. In theory this will allow for a sideXside pack with the opposite polarity to be used on the DPD. I don't have any packs that are assembled in the normal order of the DPD, so switching wouldn't faze me. Also, its a S/H unit, so no warranty either!

Normal DPD polarity:
+ - + - + -
| | | | | |
- + - + - +

Polarity of my cells:
- + - + - +
| | | | | |
+ - + - + -

Was thinking about it, and it shouldn't matter. Just have to note that the cell numbers displayed on the screen would be reversed.
i have done this.. not worth the effort..
Old 09-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

why not just flip the pack over? Works for me when i do other guys packs.

As for resorting cells, i type all the cell data into an excel sheet and then sort according to either run time or voltage or what ever, typically i just want equal run time and let the voltage fall where it may, it depends on how many cells u get to play with if its only 3 or 4 packs your best to resort by run time... This takes time but i have turn around guys crappy packs into a good few with a bunch of pratice packs, better then a bunch of crappy all round packs
Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Hey rctazmanmc,

I do Custom Skinz for the DPD. Shoot me a PM and let me know what you're after and I'll set you up.

Mick
Old 09-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

has anyone had their display stop functioning correctly? mine sometimes stays really dim, to the point of not being able to read it, but after it sits for a week or so it works fine....

this started after i went through and cycled about 4 of my packs a couple times one night....(equalize on dpd, charge back up, equalize, then charge)
Old 09-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jake S
has anyone had their display stop functioning correctly? mine sometimes stays really dim, to the point of not being able to read it, but after it sits for a week or so it works fine....

this started after i went through and cycled about 4 of my packs a couple times one night....(equalize on dpd, charge back up, equalize, then charge)
recharge your aa batteries.

or u can run without the aa batteries altogether.

just dont run it with like 1% charge in the aa batts, it gets confused.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

ok i have tried everything nothing seems to work when i put my pack to discharge everything is fine durning the 30 amp cycle when it switches to the 1.5 cycle when the fans cut out all the rest of cells discharge and leave the no2 cell with about 1.20 still in the pack last night i had it on for 6 hrs still would not discharge the no2 cell i borrowed my friend same brand discharger
and his discharge the batt right out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.