R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Charge data for Intellipeak ICE

Hello from the world of airsoft! I don't race but hardly anyone on airsoft forums seems to know much about batteries, therefore I turn to the collective expertise of the racing world. Ploease forgive me if this is a trite subject but I've scoured the net and the search here to little avail.

I bought an Intellipeak ICE and Great Power 18A power supply many months back. I've successfully used it to charge all sorts of batteries but Intellect packs have recently started emerging here as THE cell to have, and I can find either conflicting or little information about charging them.

For the Sub C I've seen everything from 1C to 6A, and virtually no data for the 2/3A 1200 and 1400 mAh (I recall hearing 3.5A for the 1400). Bear in mind that airsoft requires long runtimes, not high discharge, and races don't depend much on a constant drain battery so we don't concern ourselves with matched packs and zapped cells.

I have my ICE in front of me and I threw my 8.4V 1400 mAh on it. I used a 1.4A charge with an 8mV/C delta, drained the sucker to 1.0mV/C then recharged it. It stopped at 772mA. It's just starting the 200mA top off charge and the battery is warm to the touch, but I doubt I'll get much more into it. I think this may be a problem pack with a bad cell.

I often find though that with the ICE, if I set my delta peak for any less than 9mV for NiMH cells or 12-15mV for NiCd I get false peaks regularly (cool or lukewarm pack, takes a significant amount of current in a subsequent charge) even with good cells. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

A buddy just bought an 8.4V 4200mAh and the first time I charged it, it took only 3300mA. The second cycling it took 3800, I let it cool off then charged again and it took some 300mA + 100mA top off to reach its rated capacity. Correct me if I'm wrong but it should've taken a lot more. I believe it was a 9mV/C peak and 4.2A charge rate (1C).

If anyone has some suggestions, specs, or tips I would be most grateful. Thanks.
fragtosser is offline   Reply With Quote