R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Question on chargers and power supplies

I'm looking at options of a new charger. After something that can hit my batteries with more than 3A so that I can get a bit more punch out of my batteries, and be able to charge packs at the track fast enough.

At the moment its between the SJ Chargetronic or Swallow Advance.

I can get the SJ Chargetronic for $109 and like how it is both a 240V and 12Volt input and can charge at 5A. However don't like how it can only charge at 3A on AC power, and has no discharge function.

The Swallow Advance I can get for $99. Prefer its more compact size/finish, fash charge at 5A, and discharge function. However its only a 12V input so will need to get a power supply.

The main questions in my mind are
1. is the discharge function on the Swallow advance much use as it can only do it at 1A (heard that best way to discharge is at same rate as in car which my guess is around 20A)
2. can a cheap gel cell 12V battery supply enough voltage and current to run these chargers (so that I can get to the 5A charge rate). I've already got a car charger at home and have seen some small gel cell packs (i think 12V 18Ah for about $50 in electronics stores)
3.would one of these http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID= provide a stable enough power supply at 12V so that I can get the 5A charge rate from mains power.

My final decision will probably be swayed by how much the 12V power will cost (really want the fast 5A charge rate). Was trying to get into this racing on the cheap, but things keep coming up ( someone please buy my MT2 to help me fund all this) If the 12V power is expensive I'll probably go for the chargetronic and then get 12V power later on, but if its not too much extra will go for the swallow advance.
koinonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

If you shop around you can get a power supply that plugs into the wall for $50 or a little more.
JRXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Looking at the PSU I would say it would be enough to charge at 5amps. 1amp discharge is well laughable wouldn't do crap basically. I would suggest getting yourself a secondhand CDC V5 or V6 as they have everything you need with a discharge of 20amps. You can always run the charger off your car battery for the time being until you get a PSU, that's what I used to do. You may find later on the track that you want a PSU that can run tyre warmers aswell and I don't know that the jaycar one you linked too could handle both. In my experience both those chargers that you mentioned aren't really worth anything for racing. Just my 2 cents
WRXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

try payramid ps-12kx its like 40$ ....
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote