Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Racing Class Breakdown? (eg. Stock, Mod, ect.) >

Racing Class Breakdown? (eg. Stock, Mod, ect.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing Class Breakdown? (eg. Stock, Mod, ect.)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Racing Class Breakdown? (eg. Stock, Mod, ect.)

What differentiates the classes of on road racing?

Is there a newbie faq on RC somewhere?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Best thing to do is to get down to your local track and see what they run there.

In electric touring, the main difference in classes is the motors used. Chassis and other electronics tend be to the same. But you may find that your local track has it's own special rules.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

So it's usualy just motor differences? I'm lost on the different types of motors. I keep reading about 19 turn, brushed, brushless and I have no idea what this stuff is. Is there a breakdown or faq on motors somewhere. What makes a motor stock or mod?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i'll do some searching, if i can't find anything, i'll write one up myself later tonight... check back later.. unless someone beats me to it..
Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlamMan
So it's usualy just motor differences? I'm lost on the different types of motors. I keep reading about 19 turn, brushed, brushless and I have no idea what this stuff is. Is there a breakdown or faq on motors somewhere. What makes a motor stock or mod?
If you intend to race, you might want to go to the ROAR website for their list of approved motors.

In general, 1) "stock" motors have 27 turns of wire on each segment of the armature and fixed timing; 2) 19 turn motors have 19 turns of wiring and fixed timing; and, 3) "modified" motors have fewer turns of wire with variable timing.

For racing, you want to start with stock and progress to the other motors as you advance your skills.

But, do check with your local race track for what motors may/may not be approved for racing. It varies as well as the batteries allowed sometimes.

Bill
Old 05-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Stock motors are your basic motors.. They have bushings instead of bearings and are the slowest.. Stock class ranges from etry level racers up to pro's..

19 turn is a little faster then stock.. it is kind of the middle ground between stock and mod..

Modified is where all the top level guys tend to race.. This is the fastest class, and generally the hardest.. These guys are wicked fast.

Brushless is the same sspeeds listed above, depending on your motor choice,.. A brushless is just that.. it is a motor with nu brushes,.. standard motors require more maintinance, and parts need to be replaced alot more often..
Old 05-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm not totally clear on the part about brushless motors in your post, Mike. Can I get a brushless motor in stock or just in mod? I like the idea of low maintenance.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

brushless motors come in several flavors, some as fast as modifieds, some as slow as stocks... brushless are extremely low maintenance, but are not legal in many racing venues unfortunately.. regular brushed motors require regular maintenace to run efficiently, and fairly diligent maintenance to be ideal.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
In general, 1) "stock" motors have 27 turns of wire on each segment of the armature and fixed timing; 2) 19 turn motors have 19 turns of wiring and fixed timing; and, 3) "modified" motors have fewer turns of wire with variable timing.
i understand about number of turn in the armature but i got no idea about timing. can someone explain it a bit more?
thx
Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlamMan
I'm not totally clear on the part about brushless motors in your post, Mike. Can I get a brushless motor in stock or just in mod? I like the idea of low maintenance.
No, if you want to run a brushless motor, then you'll pretty much have to run in mod. Even though there is a brushless motor that's not far off in power from a stocker, it's still NOTICABLY more powerful(& most DEFINITELY has more torque) than any good ROAR-legal stock, so for the most part, all tracks I know of only allow brushless in mod class....
Old 05-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, thanks, Grizz. I'd be interested in ickvanovs' timing question too if anyone has some input.