Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Cyclone, Pro4 parts interchangable? >

Cyclone, Pro4 parts interchangable?

Cyclone, Pro4 parts interchangable?

Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Cyclone, Pro4 parts interchangable?

Hello, first post, I'm new, looking for first R/C.

maybe a dumb question but after some searching I understand that HPI and HB are related manufactures. Are some of or all of the Pro4 and Cyclone parts interchangeable? I'm interested in the Cyclone but if I can't get parts at the local Hobby Town I may just pass. I'm also looking at the Pro4.

I'm still really up in the air about the shaft vs. belt issue too.

If you have a suggestion as to another car I should consider or any other advice for a newbie, feel free. All the choices are a little overwhelming.
Thx!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go for the belt car. The Pro4 is really throttle sensitive, and is really only for people who have developed a good sense of "feel," if you will. The Cyclone has the flex of the belts to soften the imperfect throttle transitions which you WILL have, as a new driver. And as for parts stuff, all of the suspension parts are interchangeable, such as the arms, c-hubs, knuckles, and pivot blocks. Good luck.
-Josh
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

dont buy the pro4, shaft cars are not recommended for beginners, besides,its actually higher maintanence than belt cars,if u get in a crash, the front bevel gears always goes. andd u also have to shim the bevel gears,which requires some skill. another bad thing is after a few months everything vibrates badly on a shaft car. go for a T2 or losi XXX-s or a cyclone.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

get the new Cyclone 'S' it will be a great entry level belt car.
and when you're skills improve can be upgraded to full blown competative racer....
Old 05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info Josh, Alcyon and Zombies! It sounds like all the important parts will be available. As long as I won't be SOL the first time I break something I'll probably go for the Cyclone.

Any news on availability date of the Cyclone S? Will it have a conversion kit to upgrade it to the regular Cyclone?

Also, where can I get a good deal on the Cyclone? (If I'm not allowed to ask let me know)
Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yea I myself gotta noe why is a shaft car that bad????

I am really interested in a shaft car cause I've driven a belt one before.

Is it really that bad??????
Old 05-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Yea I myself gotta noe why is a shaft car that bad????

I am really interested in a shaft car cause I've driven a belt one before.

Is it really that bad??????
No! Shaft isn't bad. It's just that there are people here who to tries to discourage people like you because they can't keep up with shaft's driving and aggressiveness on the track. Don't believe what alcyon said about breaking the bevels everytime you crash your car. I've crashed my pro4 countless times and didn't break my bevel gears. Maintenance isn't that high too. It all depends on the instances that may occur.

The best way is, go and try both from your friends who own before buying what really suites you. But having both would be better so you can learn the skills from both drivetrain.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

You may want to try the Pro4 with a front differential. They come with a front one-way differential which makes them hard to drive off-throttle. Putting a front differential in the car may not be quite as fast but the car will be much easier to drive. Besides any suspension parts you buy as spares, such as c-hubs and a-arms will fit directly on the Cyclone should you decide to try a belt car in the future. As of right now you can probably pick up a Pro4 a bit cheaper than you can pick up a Cyclone, at least until the Cyclone S hits the market.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Pro4 is a fantastic car.

It will definately keep up with the current pack of "hot" tourers.

Advantages include:
Super acceleration
Low maintenance
Sealed diffs
High efficiency
Feels very quick, direct, agile, etc..

Disadvantages:
Can be too much for an inexperienced driver
Can be hard on drivetrain if you stack.
Maintenance takes a little longer.

You planning on racing? stock?Mod?

If you're bashing around the pro4 is an excellent choice. It can run in a dirt street no problems. Belt cars are a little more exposed and require care in handling. A stray pebble or stick will kill the belt and most likely munch a duff pulley as well.

If racing does it for you, then perhaps consider the cyclone. It's "Easier" to drive as the belt stretches a little and can absorb your heavy trigger finger...

Either is a good choice really.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Don't buy into alcyon's claim that the Pro4 is hard to maintain. I believe it might be one of the easiest cars to maintain. You would be hard pressed to get dirt into the diffs, and they are very easy to take apart, clean, and reassemble. You will have to take the diffs apart much more in order to clean with the Cyclone. Just the nature of the design allows dirt to enter the diffs easier. You will have to strictly upkeep any car you buy, but expect to do more with the Cyclone. Stock up on that diff grease! Let us know how it goes.
-Josh
Old 05-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the continued input. The lower maintenance of the Pro4 is definately inviting. How much of the "hard to drive" part could be ironed out with a quality radio?

I would probably race stock at first.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlamMan
Thanks for the continued input. The lower maintenance of the Pro4 is definately inviting. How much of the "hard to drive" part could be ironed out with a quality radio?

I would probably race stock at first.
I had the pro 4 it was awesome in stock but it was a hand ful in mod (with the gtb 4.5 motor) I switch to the Cyclone and its alot easier to drive, I think both cars are just as fast
Old 05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

I think that if it is financially possible, it may be worth it to buy the Pro4 for stock and get the Cyclone later on down the road for mod. The fast acceleration is a monumental benefit in stock. However, you wouldn't be able to "dial out" the snappyness with a radio. The most you could do is change the throttle curve, so that the trigger is a little less sensitive in the beginning portions of the pull. It may help a little bit, but you can never eliminate the quick power transitions of a shaft car. But the choice is always up to you...
-Josh
Old 05-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's something to adapt to...

everyone says.. the shaft is "snappy" and hard to drive. Compared to a belt .. yeah sure.

But if you just drive the damn thing for a while you get used to it. Shaft drive is a little addictive. Alot of guys who start out with shaft cars always keep an old favourite kit at home. It says alot about how much fun they are to drive. . ..

But it's like anything else... a shaft car is just as fast.. But requires a more gentle touch. There are plenty of guys who just slam the trigger down out of corners. It's the only way they drive. Those guys are better served with a belt car LoL!!

I'm upgrading to a Cyclone.. but i'm keeping my pro4 too..
(the cyclone because ...well... not a good reason. But i have upgrade envy.. LoL)
Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Just put a front diff in it, it makes a huge difference.