R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Words from the wise

Ok, Just to get the formal stuff out of the way, Im new to electric, I just got rid of my NTC3 in lieu of an electric. I bought a fairly low end model, but I really like it. Its a Tamiya TT-01 chassis. I move it about with Futaba gear. Now dont flame me, cuz Im just learning this electric biz without shocking the living shy@t outta myself. But my buddy runs a Nitro, a HPI RS4. He made the remark that electric is dumb and that he is just gonna smoke me around and around. Well his car is stock. I have the suspension figured out, but what I need to know, is what motor, esc, gear combo would make him eat his lunch? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanx

KrayZFrameRate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Probably gonna need a bit more info.

Which RS4? There's been like 719 iterations
Nitro RS4 / RS4 2 / Racer / Racer 2 / RS4 3 / Evo / SS / 18SS Super Nitro

Single-speed? or 2-speed?
What gearing?
Big-block converted?

Here in SoFla, we run SERIOUS RS4's. .21 racing on-road engines, single-speed with 26T/37T gearing, 80mm tall tires. They routinely clock in the high-80's to low-90's on a Bushnell radar gun.
Old-school trader fb at http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101926
sharkonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most likely gonna get beat by a nitro in a drag race. If you really wanted to beat him, you can, but it'll cost you. You'd have to pretty much make a car soley for going fast in a straight line. Try this instead, get some cones and what not and a fairly simple track and race him on that. A good 19T should be enough to keep up with a nitro on a course.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if its a drag race type thing i have no idea, but if its on a road course like track, if your a good driver, you can probably beat him with putting a decent 19 turn motor in. but when you set up the track try to make it have tight corners, thats where the electric will beat the gas.

not shure of gearing, it all depends on the track and how you drive the corners.
jarrodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

novak gtb w/4.5 geared right should (with correct tire choice) rip on a nitro, especially if a rolling start is used. ona track layout a real good stock, or 19t with smooth driving will be all over most nitro cars, the straight only last for so long ! !
Up the Irons \m/