R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Orion V2 Endbell conversion for stock 23T

I bought one of these to try out. Read the instructions about gearing and it pretty much the same as the stock endbell. But the motor runs so slow! I went to the Orion site to find out more infor but couldn't find it. Any help would be cool. Thanks~

BTW, I am running a Orion 23T Katana motor.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

you have to gear one teeth lower than you stock motor
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]|HotBodies|HPI|Full Throttle Motorsports|KO PROPO|DSM|Nosram|JACO|MUCH MORE RACING|Schacht Design Works|[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Guo Chean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Tech Adept

If the stock motor uses laydown brushes you'll have to gear up a few teeth.
Also the motor will never be as fast as with the laydown brushes, it simply isn't designed for standup.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

First some facts (using my calipers)....

A standup brush has a width of 0.145"
A laydown brush has a width of 0.185"
The Orion full round brush has a width of 0.155"
(FYI - Checkpoint uses round 0.170" width brushes)

So -- motors "fire" the coils for a duration that depends on the "wrap" of the brush, which is a direct result of the width of the brush and comm diameter. I don't bother to do the math, but it's all relative anyway...

Laydown motors get their RPM's from the advanced leading edge of the brush and from the longer duration the coils are triggered.

Standup motors show more torque since their retain the same contact surface of the brush, but at the cost of lower RPM since their leading edge is not as advanced. This is not a problem for modified motors, because adjustable timing allows for compensation for the leading edge disadvantage...

The Orion brush system is between standup and laydown brushes in their width, so they fall in between the two in fixed timing motors. However, don't be confused... For a fixed spec motors (fixed winds, etc., whether 23 or 27 turn), every change involves a tradeoff... In the case of Orion endbells, the result that a converted laydown motor will lose RPM as noted above... BUT-- what is important is POWER -- RPM simply dictate gearing. My testing with the Orion conversion for EPIC motors on a 19t Chameleon show that POWER is improved, but RPM do drop.. Simply gear up (larger pinion) to compensate and you have a STRONG motor! The improved power comes from improved efficiency from the ability to run softer springs and the smoother power deliever from the round brush leading/trailing edges... Maintenance is reduced as well....
"If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record."
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks! Great info!
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote