Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T1FK05 motor mount problem and magic strip >

T1FK05 motor mount problem and magic strip

T1FK05 motor mount problem and magic strip

Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default T1FK05 motor mount problem and magic strip

Hi,

so, today I received a new motor from one of my friends. He gave me the motor (17x2, Yokomo endbell, tuned), and there was a "magic strip" around it. Basically, its magnetic (soft iron or something I guess) and sticks to the motor, adding to the effect of the magnets. The problem is that it covers the vents on the motor...

Anyhow, I took it off the motor, and tried to install the motor in my T1FK05... and surprisingly, the motor does not touch the chassis, it sits about 0.5mm higher (I can slide some paper underneath it)... what should I do about this? And should I use the magic strip or not?

Does it matter that the motor is hanging 0.5mm above the chassis? My main concern with the magic strip is that it covers the vents on the motor... won't it overheat?

TIA

Last edited by D_o_S; 05-18-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Having the motor not touching the chassis is fine, it should be that way. As for the magnetic strip I'm not too sure. Nobody that I know runs those things on their motors and covering the vents would be a bad idea. I wouldn't run it...
Old 05-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RobS
Having the motor not touching the chassis is fine, it should be that way. As for the magnetic strip I'm not too sure. Nobody that I know runs those things on their motors and covering the vents would be a bad idea. I wouldn't run it...
I just put a piece of paper under it, if thats OK?

My friend races boats, he uses the magnetic strip there, if it makes any difference.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

That's fine the motor never touches the chassis in my car. Thats why the chassis is lower at the motor so it does not touch. The magnetic strip, I don't think will make a big difference. I've heard of people using them before (not recently though) do not know of anybody running them now-a-days. I personally wouldn't run it if it blocks the vents of the motor...
Old 05-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That magnetic strip is probably a torque sleeve. It changes the powerband of the motor, but doesn't add any extra power.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by XrayFK
That magnetic strip is probably a torque sleeve. It changes the powerband of the motor, but doesn't add any extra power.
So should I use it or not?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

If you really want that extra torque instead of topend, just change the timing and brushes and springs and what not. It's not really a good idea to cover up the vents on the can.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Wouldn't the metal motor case between the outside "add on" magnet and the inner magnet / armature negate any precise influence on the internal magnetic field? Would be cool if it worked, but I'm skeptical.