R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Motor Lathe (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/114251-motor-lathe.html)

uniquexme 05-16-2006 08:33 PM

Motor Lathe

after reading on some website, it seems that brushed motor maintenance is really a headache task. i have come across many ppl using motor lathe, such as Integy X-MOD super Lathe or Hudy lathe, to cut the motor's comm. i mean is it neccessary to invest in this machine?

step to maintain motor performance :
- cut comm using motor lathe
- polish the copper bushing
- sand the motor shaft
- realignment of the brush slot
- timing the motor to certain degrees

have never thought of all these issue when i started RC, coz it just means dumping more and more $ into this hobby, basically spent around USD1000+ just as a beginner. so i was thinking if its better to use brushless motor (pay once and do not need to undergo all that tedious task.

as for the motor lathe, can anyone recommend some cheaper ones, cos they are just to cut the comm.

XrayFK 05-16-2006 08:38 PM

Cutting the comm is one of the most important things to do for a motor. While it is not necessary to spend hundreds of dollars on a top of the line lathe, if you want to maintain your motors then you will need a lathe. Just make sure you set it up correctly (correct bit height) and any decent lathe will do the job.

v0rtex 05-16-2006 09:17 PM

If you're just into drifting or only race occasionally, you dont have to buy a lathe. See if any of the hobby shops in your area are able to cut the comm for you - usually they may only charge a few dollars for the service.

If they dont, you could send the motor off to a Tuner and get them to freshen the motor up, usually there will be a charge for this also.

If you have a group of mates who are into it and none of you have a lathe, you could buy a lathe and charge them all a few dollars to cut thier comms when they need doing and make the cost of the lathe back :)

Or buy a brushless system :p

uniquexme 05-17-2006 04:31 AM

may i ask if brushless system is really no maintainance? if that the case i might consider coz brushed motor is really a headache. but i just bought novak GTS. :rolleyes:

v0rtex 05-17-2006 04:34 AM

All you need to do is dismantle the motor every so often to clean it out and perhaps to re-oil the bearings. No regular maintenance like a brushed motor with comm cutting and replacing brushes.

Problem is the price of a brushless system is around the same as good comm lathe...

uniquexme 05-17-2006 05:23 AM

guess i better start saving for Novak Brushless system, btw, which series of novak brushless is best for drifting? i remember seeing 4.5R or 5.5R, which cost around USD440+

new92 05-17-2006 07:29 AM

You can get the Cobra Lathe for around 160 new, around 100 used and then they have a power base for it that lets it run from a battery pack rather than needing a ps/charger. That would be alot cheaper than the brushless, but then over time the brushless would probably save you some money.

pinggoy 05-17-2006 08:10 AM

hey.. having a brushed motor and doing all those " headache" stuff u said is the essence of it...its where the fun and it is where to determine your skills and love for your car... its where pride is all about...making your stock motor faster than the others is kinda hard but its how it should be....

pinggoy 05-17-2006 08:12 AM

you can also get the integy auto lathe is just for 145$ at towerhobbies...plus 20$ off i think..or 10$ i think......i bout mine one lathe one co27 plus a comm drop for $170+

Tsquare 05-17-2006 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by uniquexme
after reading on some website, it seems that brushed motor maintenance is really a headache task. i have come across many ppl using motor lathe, such as Integy X-MOD super Lathe or Hudy lathe, to cut the motor's comm. i mean is it neccessary to invest in this machine?

step to maintain motor performance :
- cut comm using motor lathe
- polish the copper bushing
- sand the motor shaft
- realignment of the brush slot
- timing the motor to certain degrees

have never thought of all these issue when i started RC, coz it just means dumping more and more $ into this hobby, basically spent around USD1000+ just as a beginner. so i was thinking if its better to use brushless motor (pay once and do not need to undergo all that tedious task.

as for the motor lathe, can anyone recommend some cheaper ones, cos they are just to cut the comm.

Go Brushless, its simple and dependable, you need run time not wrench time. See how you like the sport and at what level you want to compete on, then you can make your choice as to what equipment you want to invest in. If you feel you want to run brushed motors now, buy your equipment used, look on this site under the Items For Sale Thread - you will find great deals on equipment. Be smart with your money, this hobby makes it very easy for you to spend money unnecessarily - save you money for the future when you compete at at high level, as a beginner just learn to drive and set-up the cars suspension, don't sweat the other stuff yet. Good Luck

Iceracer 05-17-2006 10:07 AM

I want to race. Racing around here is with brushed motors, so properly maintaining a brush motor is simply a necessity. I bought a good used lathe for around $100.00 and I'm glad I have it. Other than that, I'd imagine you need to tear down a brushless motor to clean bearings and remove carpet fibres from the shaft just like a brush motor. If brushless was an option, sure I'd go for it, but at this time it isn't.

uniquexme 05-17-2006 07:17 PM

ok thanks, i think i shd look for 2nd lathe coz doesnt need brand new