R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Anyone have problems with non-countersunk topdeck on XRAY T2 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/113569-anyone-have-problems-non-countersunk-topdeck-xray-t2.html)

Got Xray? 05-11-2006 03:08 AM

Anyone have problems with non-countersunk topdeck on XRAY T2

hey guys i have a t2 on the way and have just noticed in the pics that the top deck isnt even countersunk! is this for a reason? because i thought xray would have counter sunk it if it would give less tweak etc,will i need to counter sink my top deck when i get it?

TC Guy 05-11-2006 05:20 AM

I know a lot of guys were complaining about this, but I didn't have any problems with mine. Worst case senario, loosen and re-tighten the top deck after a run if you have a big hit in that heat. I've gone away from the X-ray chassis on both my asphalt and carpet cars (BMI Chassis on both) so I didn't have to worry about tweak issues and consistancy. If your a good driver, it shouldn't be a problem though.
BMI's carpet chassis comes with top decks and shock towers counter sunk. The asphalt chassis comes with top decks counter sunk, no shock towers.
If your not looking to up-grade chassis, find a machine shop that can counter sink top-decks and shock towers.

Charles 05-11-2006 05:30 AM

The previous Xray cars had countersunk top decks and I very, very rarely had a tweak issue. The thing about "just put your car on a flat surface and loosen and tighten your top deck" is a pain as you have to take off and on the tires and check droop settings. A real pain as a serious racer would do this after every run for top performance.

I consider the non countersunk top deck a design FLAW on any serious racing sedan. Xray shame on you for using lower standards on this cars top deck as compared to the FK'05, Fk'04, T1 evo 2, T1 and T1 racer.

peter_robinson 05-11-2006 09:27 AM

there is not enough material around the screws on the top deck for them to be countersunk. i would highly reccomend that you DO NOT countersink the holes yourself, thats the quickest way to put tweak into your car, by trying to hand sink the topdeck. the design is not flawed by any means, if it was... you would see the factory drivers running countersunk top decks... and they dont.

knapster 05-11-2006 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
there is not enough material around the screws on the top deck for them to be countersunk. i would highly reccomend that you DO NOT countersink the holes yourself, thats the quickest way to put tweak into your car, by trying to hand sink the topdeck. the design is not flawed by any means, if it was... you would see the factory drivers running countersunk top decks... and they dont.

I've got to go with Peter on this one.
I've owned may cars and the T2 is the best buy far.
I have'nt had any of the tweak issues that many others complain of but then again I'm not hitting everything on the track either.
Just my .02 cents

RcCzarOfOld 05-11-2006 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by knapster
I've got to go with Peter on this one.
I've owned may cars and the T2 is the best buy far.
I have'nt had any of the tweak issues that many others complain of but then again I'm not hitting everything on the track either.
Just my .02 cents

Except when you're in a heat with me Fred. :D You guys coming back out again this weekend? I promise I won't put you in the boards this time.. :rolleyes:

Tony

knapster 05-11-2006 11:58 AM

Tony,
Good point and at that my car was'nt tweaked. :p
We were thinking of comming down Saturday and try to work on a rubber tire set up. Will the track be open on Sunday, Mothers day?

timmay70 05-11-2006 01:22 PM

there ain't nothing like a good stiff pickle (top deck)... There's a rumor that they were working on some stuff for asphalt.

Just e-mail Ed and he can take care of you.

Got Xray? 05-11-2006 02:45 PM

tamale

yeah ive got a team tamale carpet extra stiff top deck on mine any way,

From your advice they werent meant to be countersunk so im definately not goin to try.

Any more advice on this issue?

qwkpony 05-11-2006 02:47 PM

Mine tweaked almost every run. The stock top deck allowed the top of the bulkheads to move toward each other and the bottom chassis always ended up bowed because of it. I'm running the CRC top deck now, it's countersinked.
No tweak problems since.

protc3 05-11-2006 03:05 PM

there is enough room to countersink the top deck. it is best to countersink them at the same time as the holes are drilled. and yes,there are some team guys running a countersunk top deck. it is really not a flaw in the design,its more personal preference.some people like to use button head screws for a few different reasons.yes you will need to check the tweak after runs but the fact that it can be corrected is a plus. it also allows for minor hole location variations without hurting performance.now with the flathead screws,you will have positive location for all screws.you have less messing around to square the car up.as long as you have high quality screws,the car will be tweak free and shouldnt ever have any issues.it really comes down to what you like,adjustment or less hassle.i personally use both.for my chassis kit for this particular car i chose flatheads for good reason.eliminate tweak and hassle free racing. :cool:

Got Xray? 05-11-2006 03:14 PM

Tweak

So its alright to countersink the deck? because i dont want the hassle of reseting it every time i race.

I just need to know if its possible or how much a countersunk deeck is.

protc3 05-11-2006 03:21 PM

if you would like to try to countersink the top deck,make sure you use a carbide multi flute countersink.run the drillpress around 1000 rpm.you will need a 90 degree countersink.countersinks usually will follow the hole center as long as it is sharp and not a single flute.if you run into any problems i do sell the front and rear top decks seperately.let me know if i can help. :cool:

PlainOleDave 05-11-2006 03:31 PM

I know I ain't no machinist but I am pretty good at some stuff. I used a Dremel Stone and shaped it to match the angle of the flat-head screw and countered Mine. I used the little Dremel "Black Brick" to shape it. It seems just fine.
As has been said countless times: If U don't hit nothin', it won't tweek! But there are those of us that cain't git thru a run w/o tapping something so countersinking seems to be the way to avoid drastic tweek issues.

Works for Me.

GlennCauley 05-11-2006 03:53 PM

Give me a break... XRAY not a serious racing sedan? Puhleeeze

Originally Posted by Charles
I consider the non countersunk top deck a design FLAW on any serious racing sedan. Xray shame on you for using lower standards on this cars top deck as compared to the FK'05, Fk'04, T1 evo 2, T1 and T1 racer.

Well, things like this prove that everyone has an opinion... even if they are wrong.

I find it laughable that anyone say or think that :

a) the XRAY T2 is not a "serious racing sedan"
b) XRAY would ever lower their standards
c) XRAY would not do extensive research on every part of their products and come up with the best solution for their car

To quote from the XRAY T2 knowledge base:

The T2 platform is very different than previous T1 platforms, and a non-countersunk top deck was determined to be the best and most logical choice to achieve the intended results and performance. We suggest not to modify the top deck. Also, use of an aftermarket countersunk top deck may introduce undesired effects, including tweak.

The non-countersunk top deck - after correct installation to the bulkheads and after correct screw tightening - insures that the chassis is tweak-free and provides the desired optimum flexibility.

http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/viewtopic.php?t=2872