Wiki Posts
Search

good 1/12 starter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/12 Newbie

Hi All,

My name is Kai and this is my first post at RCTech. I am also looking for my first 1/12 car. I fly RC glider competition for years and after having my Traxx Revo (nitro MT) few months ago, I like R/C driving more! Like the original author, I plan to drive my 12th mostly at asphalt for practice before I can find a place to race (Will move to San Jose next month by the way). I like the design of 12th much more than toruing cars. Simple but a lot of set up need to learn.

I was thinking about RC12L4 but I really don't like the battery "tape" thing. I know it can reduce some weight but it is just a personal preference.
TeamCRC Carpet Knife and T-Force looks like good options too. I try to read through the monster "1/12 thread", but 620+ pages just killing me.

I know people said CK is better for carpet and T-force is better for asphalt. Is there any other comment between these two ? I like the battery setup of T-Force more. How about the CORALLY SP12M compare to these two ?

I am trying to find the "best first" 1/12, not looking for the "best" or the "most winning" one at this stage. From my soaring competition experience, I know winning or losing is 99% depends on the pilot.
Any suggestion is welcome.
Thank you guys.

-Kai
Old 05-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hope you don't mind the sound of scraping. Pan cars, esp 1/12 are going to be a poor choice for anything but a prepared surface. Poor ground clearance, exposed components.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kyang
Hi All,

My name is Kai and this is my first post at RCTech. I am also looking for my first 1/12 car. I fly RC glider competition for years and after having my Traxx Revo (nitro MT) few months ago, I like R/C driving more! Like the original author, I plan to drive my 12th mostly at asphalt for practice before I can find a place to race (Will move to San Jose next month by the way). I like the design of 12th much more than toruing cars. Simple but a lot of set up need to learn.

I was thinking about RC12L4 but I really don't like the battery "tape" thing. I know it can reduce some weight but it is just a personal preference.
TeamCRC Carpet Knife and T-Force looks like good options too. I try to read through the monster "1/12 thread", but 620+ pages just killing me.

I know people said CK is better for carpet and T-force is better for asphalt. Is there any other comment between these two ? I like the battery setup of T-Force more. How about the CORALLY SP12M compare to these two ?

I am trying to find the "best first" 1/12, not looking for the "best" or the "most winning" one at this stage. From my soaring competition experience, I know winning or losing is 99% depends on the pilot.
Any suggestion is welcome.
Thank you guys.

-Kai
Don't be discouraged by the previous post, even though its true. 1/12th cars do not run well on un-prepared surfaces. If you are moving to San Jose CA, though, there are quite a number of racing venues that you can run at. Most of us that race 1/12th in the area just network to make sure there will be enough 1/12th cars at a given race to run the class. RCracing.com is a good forum to follow for racing in the SF Bay Area.
The 12L4 is probably your best bet for a starter car even if you don't like tape. If you absolutely can't do tape then get the T Fource.
And follow the 1/12th thread on RCtech, it is the best source on the internet.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, I agree with odpurple. Getting ground clearance is not hard at all to do if you need to. The average driveway, street, or parking lot will give you good practice to learn how to be smooth on the throttle. If you really wanted to clean off the surface for additional grip, a broom, garden hose, or leaf blower work very well.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Concerning the Corally car, it's a great car and is supposed to be quite good on asphalt. My favorite part about the car is how easy it is to work on and how durable it is. The biggest drawback is you'll most likely have to get parts support online rather than the LHS. I have one that I'm selling and the only reason I'm doing so is because I have an obscene amount of tires for other cars.

I also have a T-Force and I turn about the same laptimes with both cars, but the T-Force is a little less durable (T-bar breakage), and more difficult to work on, but parts support is easier. The 12L4 is a great car as well and very similar to the T-Force, you just get more hopups with a T-Force.