R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2006, 05:12 AM   #106
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Baja
which would work better a true airfoil inverted to produce downforce. a simple rear wing like those that come with most touring cars or a simple spoiler like a nascar style body. Then if none actually produce downforce in a useful amount, Which would produce the greatest amount of drag? Then how do i take this knowledge and apply it to my car?
A nascar spoiler would probably have no benefits on an rc car. On a road type car, the sideways profile of the whole car is a little like an wing, so many road cars actually would have positive lift (upwards) in their basic shape. The nascar wing just stops the air moving over the top of the car fast and creating low pressure which causes lift.

The best way to increase downforce would probably be to seal the bottom of the chassis to the bodyshell (something like lexan might do it) so the air can flow smoothly underneath. Then make the chassis very slightly lower at the front than the back and make a diffuser at the back of the bodyshell. If you add side skirts made of lexan that would probably have a massive effect. Underbody aerodynamics actually give competition cars a lot of their downforce. A dual element wing would help as mentioned.

Maybe it'd be possible to use a leaf blower to create a kind of wind tunnel. If you sit the car on a flat board and then on top of some scales you might get a reading when u've got air flowing over it???
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #107
Tech Regular

An undertray would definitely benefit an RC car. It's a no-lose situation. You're adding weight at the lowest point of the car, and thereby lowering CG, protecting your chassis, and best of all - creating downforce. But too bad it's deemed illegal by most sanctioning bodies.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #108
Tech Adept

I'd like to play around though just to test. I'm tempted to try some stuff and run the car inbetween rounds and in practise to see how it goes...
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #109
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

At the end of last seson, I said I was going to continue testing different wings on my TC. Well, It is hard to test wings on a TC when you don't have a TC anymore. I went to 1/12th scale pan car this season. I got so caught up in dealing with my newcar, that I forgot my little project. Now I seem to have a new intrest in aerodynamics. I am going to work up plans for a wind tunnel and build in for under $50. So far I am thinking of using either Lexan or Acrylic as the "tunnel" where the car will be. Since I will be testing 1/12th scale bodies, it does'nt need to be huge. I have been reading a little and have come up with some good ideas to stop wind spiral from the fan. I'm doing the drawings for the wind tunnle now. Any input is aprecciated.
rm -rf /windows
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote