Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicd battery care

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Default Nicd battery care

I am getting Peak 2400 stick packs for my Mini. What is the best way to care for this batteries

I have a APS charger and a Deans light bulb dishcharger. Can anyone tell me how to charge them on a race day and a non race day.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you can rebuild them into a side by side pack you would be best off. That way you can equalize the cells.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Won't be possible, because the Mini races require the stick pack to have their original shrink, as well as the fact that the Mini only takes stick packs..

I charge at 6A on race days, 4-5A on practice days, and discharge each to 5.4V. Once in a while I'll use a 10W 30-Ohm resistor block on the pack to condition them, bringing it down to nearly 0V.. this slowly discharges the pack, and the cell reversal is minimal because it's such a low draw at that rate. All of my packs charge to 2500+ at 6A after that, with tons of punch. Mini's not so much of a concern for runtime, but for GT2 the packs are strong through the race.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

When's the "right" time to charge them... the night before or on race day? If it's the night before, can we re-peak the pack on race day???

Can you really charge a 2400nicd at 6A??? Any consequence???

Thanks.