Tub Cyclone `S`

Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndysD8
Well, I think you might have just made my mind up for me. I didn't realize to run lipo you have to hack the car up. I've already done that once and would prefer not to do that again! I didn't realize that a lipo wouldn't fit without cutting the car up or buying a $50 part. That puts you at 210-220 right there alone. Realistically with towers coupon it'd only be around $100 more for the tc so I might just wait. Are there any hard case lipos that will fit withut hacking the car up or buying additional parts? I know the orions are not that tall nor are the smc 24c packs.
I was just over at the HotBodies site and I don't see any provisions on the TC version that allow for Lipo fitting. They don't even mention lipos at all on the information page. In looking at the manual they don't cover Lipo packs either. it looks like the Lipo conversion is another $60 as well for the TC version. At least with the S version you can just unscrew the posts for the battery strap till you get the height you need.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyFist
I was just over at the HotBodies site and I don't see any provisions on the TC version that allow for Lipo fitting. They don't even mention lipos at all on the information page. In looking at the manual they don't cover Lipo packs either. it looks like the Lipo conversion is another $60 as well for the TC version. At least with the S version you can just unscrew the posts for the battery strap till you get the height you need.
Well then, I guess I'm back at square one then! The t2r pro is starting to sound better all the time! 24mm lipos with no problems and no dremel work.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Well then, I guess I'm back at square one then! The t2r pro is starting to sound better all the time! 24mm lipos with no problems and no dremel work.
I had a T2R. I could stuff a over 25 MM thick lipo into it. Not only that the Lipo conversion plate is included with the car. Here again I wish I would have kept it.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Adept

Andy,

Looking back through the posts you made, you are looking for a car that can be run on carpet. Can this car do it? Yes. Will it do it as well as a CF type car? No it wont. I think you already know that already. In my opinion there are challenges to running a non CF car on carpet, namely the chassis flex issue which will be present in any car CF or not. The advantage to the tub chassis is that it flexes and provides some additional traction and protection for our electronics, as compared to other cars.

I have the Orion 4800 and 3200 LIPO packs and they both fit my "S" with no hacking. I also have the Thunder Power 3200 40c pack and it fits with no hacking as well. Not to say that all packs are like this, but there are packs that are hard case packs that require no hacking on the chassis to make fit.

I am always concerned when absolute statements are made. Unless you have personally tried every pack made we can only speculate if it will fit. I can tell you that the Orion 4800 is a tight fit as the top plate and the chassis sides do make it hard to get in there but it goes in without bending or hurting anything.

As far as upgrades the car doesn't "need" any upgrades. However I think there are things that can be purchased/add-on that can get your car "dialed in" to a specific type of track. I don't think that this is really any different than any other car regardless of the cost. Considering the price point that the car is at it is a good entry point and unlike other cars does offer a bolt for bolt upgrade path to the full blown TC if you are so inclined.

The T2r is a good car is it better than the "S"? I think that is a matter of personal opinion and preference. One advantage that I can think of is the volume of setup help that is available from XRAY, for their lineup of cars. I think that manufactures can learn a lesson from them regarding this. They definitely set the standard on this.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK to Clarify...

Electronics:
Speedpassion LPF 2.0 with Speedpassion 17.5
Hitec HS-6965HB Servo
Thunderpower 5000mah 40C Lipo(No lipo topdeck) and fits perfectly.
Spektrum Micro RX
Hitec Aggressor CRX Radio
----------------------------------------------------

I did run the carbon fibre upper deck (from my moorespeed cyclone) for the 2nd qualifying for more steering, but went back to the stock plastic upper deck and used ALL the screws as well as stiffeners because it was more predictable in the mains.

AndysD8--you do NOT have to spend that $$$..believe me! 5000mah Lipos fit in PERFECTLY! NO HACKING....Ill post pix of my car tonight.

As far as carpet...yes, it does work. If you find there is too much traction, you can easily fix that with set up:
Raise the roll center by adding spacers under the suspension blocks
Use less traction compound up front(if too much oversteer)
Lower the car to 4.5mm in the rear if traction rolling
There is PLENTY you can do..the car works FINE the way it is. No Lipo top deck, No universals, No Alimunum shocks, No Tuner Springs, No Aluminum anodized screws.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JSeay
The T2r is a good car is it better than the "S"? I think that is a matter of personal opinion and preference. One advantage that I can think of is the volume of setup help that is available from XRAY, for their lineup of cars. I think that manufactures can learn a lesson from them regarding this. They definitely set the standard on this.

The T2R is also over $120 more then the S to start with.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
OK to Clarify...

Electronics:
Speedpassion LPF 2.0 with Speedpassion 17.5
Hitec HS-6965HB Servo
Thunderpower 5000mah 40C Lipo(No lipo topdeck) and fits perfectly.
Spektrum Micro RX
Hitec Aggressor CRX Radio
----------------------------------------------------

I did run the carbon fibre upper deck (from my moorespeed cyclone) for the 2nd qualifying for more steering, but went back to the stock plastic upper deck and used ALL the screws as well as stiffeners because it was more predictable in the mains.

AndysD8--you do NOT have to spend that $$$..believe me! 5000mah Lipos fit in PERFECTLY! NO HACKING....Ill post pix of my car tonight.

As far as carpet...yes, it does work. If you find there is too much traction, you can easily fix that with set up:
Raise the roll center by adding spacers under the suspension blocks
Use less traction compound up front(if too much oversteer)
Lower the car to 4.5mm in the rear if traction rolling
There is PLENTY you can do..the car works FINE the way it is. No Lipo top deck, No universals, No Alimunum shocks, No Tuner Springs, No Aluminum anodized screws.
Good to hear all this from someone who has set this car and dialed it in. How fast/how does it handle/ how does it accelerate out of the box? Because thats how the car will likely stay for a while if my friend gets one
Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC4Racer123
Good to hear all this from someone who has set this car and dialed it in. How fast/how does it handle/ how does it accelerate out of the box? Because thats how the car will likely stay for a while if my friend gets one
You can go 2 ways.
Using the Stock 16t pullies, with a 17.5 Speedpassion, you can gear it 78/58 for tracks with about 150' straights. No problem. This is with my Speedpassion LPF ESC with Punch at 7 and Timing at 26*. Remember this is with the IGR of 2.4375 for a total of 3.278 final drive.
With the 18t pullies, with a 17.5 Speedpassion, you can gear it 88/58 for a FDR of 3.278.

Smaller tracks, i would put between a 53-55 pinion with an 88 spur. The 78 Spur you will run into clearance issues with anything smaller than a 58 pinion.

To answer your question, yes..the car is fast out of the box.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default Thanks for everything...

Well I am here to say, I have decided to run a different chassis and sell my S on ebay. Just posted it, kinda sad almost!
You guys gave me a ton of info and I want to say thanks, if any body is interested in my car just PM me. Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

thanks! That's the answers I've been looking for! I was just wanting a good tc for a good price and from the looks of it the cyclone s is THAT car! I will be ordering my cyclone s kit in the morning. Oh, thanks for the heads up on lipos that will fit!

Originally Posted by JSeay
Andy,

Looking back through the posts you made, you are looking for a car that can be run on carpet. Can this car do it? Yes. Will it do it as well as a CF type car? No it wont. I think you already know that already. In my opinion there are challenges to running a non CF car on carpet, namely the chassis flex issue which will be present in any car CF or not. The advantage to the tub chassis is that it flexes and provides some additional traction and protection for our electronics, as compared to other cars.

I have the Orion 4800 and 3200 LIPO packs and they both fit my "S" with no hacking. I also have the Thunder Power 3200 40c pack and it fits with no hacking as well. Not to say that all packs are like this, but there are packs that are hard case packs that require no hacking on the chassis to make fit.

I am always concerned when absolute statements are made. Unless you have personally tried every pack made we can only speculate if it will fit. I can tell you that the Orion 4800 is a tight fit as the top plate and the chassis sides do make it hard to get in there but it goes in without bending or hurting anything.

As far as upgrades the car doesn't "need" any upgrades. However I think there are things that can be purchased/add-on that can get your car "dialed in" to a specific type of track. I don't think that this is really any different than any other car regardless of the cost. Considering the price point that the car is at it is a good entry point and unlike other cars does offer a bolt for bolt upgrade path to the full blown TC if you are so inclined.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Tech Addict

Default help... rims stuck to hex hubs

help... rims stuck to hex hubs. I have one rim I cant get off. If I pull ant harder I'll break something.
These wheels have no probs coming on & off my other cars

Any ideas on how to get that one wheel off??

Do I need the genuine upgrade part??
http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/hb70742.html

or will the similar part off a tamiya fit??
Old 09-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1101
help... rims stuck to hex hubs. I have one rim I cant get off. If I pull ant harder I'll break something.
These wheels have no probs coming on & off my other cars

Any ideas on how to get that one wheel off??

Do I need the genuine upgrade part??
http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/hb70742.html

or will the similar part off a tamiya fit??
No need to buy new parts. Just sand the sides of the hexs a little. At least that's what I had to do to mine.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by boyntoncyclone
Well I am here to say, I have decided to run a different chassis and sell my S on ebay. Just posted it, kinda sad almost!
You guys gave me a ton of info and I want to say thanks, if any body is interested in my car just PM me. Thanks again.
Can you pm that to me??
Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Andy,

Make sure you read through the regular Cyclone thread as well as this one. Since the cars share the same geometry you can get ideas on how to setup your car from there as it is the more active forum of the two.

Also you can get setups that drivers are using at gearchart.com as well.

Have fun with your car, I enjoy mine.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default cyclone s-tc

well, here's my cyclone s/tc...i just want to find out what can tub chassis do for me...and so far so good ...Andysd8, this is how it will look like if you are going to upgrade with all the tc part...by the way im using thunder power lipo without cutting anything...
Attached Thumbnails Tub Cyclone `S`-pdr_0009.jpg   Tub Cyclone `S`-pdr_0010.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.