Wiki Posts
Search

Tub Cyclone `S`

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bullfrog_racer
Also what are the aluminum layshaft pulleys?
The middle pulleys where the both belts meet on each side of the spur. Several here have mentioned stripping them. I haven't had that problem but 3racing has aluminum pulleys that have plastic gear teeth (16,17,18) that can be interchanged thus lowering the internal drive (2.43, 2.29, 2.16). That may solve your gearing problem also. If you changed the ratio to 2.16, 50 pinion, 88 spur would put you right at 51. Also I know there are some spurs out there smaller than 88. Our LHS has some but can't remember the company name right now.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by padailey
3racing has aluminum pulleys that have plastic gear teeth (16,17,18) that can be interchanged thus lowering the internal drive (2.43, 2.29, 2.16). That may solve your gearing problem also. If you changed the ratio to 2.16, 50 pinion, 88 spur would put you right at 51..
I was looking at the parts you mentioned, I see they come as a center one way, are these better and what do they do as I see the big brother cyclones come standard with them?

I like the idea of changing the internal ratio, I gather 16 = 2.43 (standard), 17 = 2.29 and 18 = 2.16.

so I would need CY-18, Cy-17 and CY-30 to complete the conversion? (like in this link http://www.3racing.com.hk/manuals/cy18.jpg)

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Centre one-ways allow you to carry more corner speed. Braking is near impossible though. I never got on with them. but they sound ideal for a big, open track.

Whether you go for fixed centre's or one-way centre's, remember to use threadlock on the 1.5mm set screw, it doesn't bite into the aluminim well and comes undone every 10mins of running otherwise.

You could use the one-way pully on its own without the 3R rear but I don't know how long the standard part would last. You need the 3R layshaft though, the kit HB one doesn't have 'flats' for the setscrew to grip to.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bullfrog_racer
so I would need CY-18, Cy-17 and CY-30 to complete the conversion?
If you are going to go the one-way route then the parts listed is correct. If you go diffs you'll need 2 CY-17's and CY-10. Check out www.precisionrc.com or www.rcstation.com for the parts. I've had good luck with each. I tend to lean towards rcstation because they are a tiny bit cheaper and shipping is generally a little cheaper also. Both are close though.

Also you are correct about ratios.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by padailey
If you are going to go the one-way route then the parts listed is correct. If you go diffs you'll need 2 CY-17's and CY-10. Check out www.precisionrc.com or www.rcstation.com for the parts. I've had good luck with each. I tend to lean towards rcstation because they are a tiny bit cheaper and shipping is generally a little cheaper also. Both are close though.

Also you are correct about ratios.
Ok, I havnt had to go down the one way 3racing path at this point, I have souced some spur and pinion 64 pitch to achieve the rollout I need. However because of the open track we race on I think I will shorlty have a go using the one way setup and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice and help.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

padailey, how did you end up going with the bulkheads.

It turns out that there are faulty bulkheads, the new ones can only be used on the correct left or right side, where as the old ones look the same and can be used on either side.

I have a feeling rcstation are very close to 3racing so if you ordered from them hopefully you got the new version of the bulkheads.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

So if I were to go with this knew Cylone S car I should be able to upgrade it to the "pro" car right?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mangoman
padailey, how did you end up going with the bulkheads.
I haven't gotten them yet. I did get them from RCStation and it took about a week for them to ship them which is unusual for them... in my experience. I hope it all means I got the new ones. I was thinking you were probably right about the bulkheads because for awhile on the 3racing site it stated the bulkheads were unavailable. Must have meant they had to redo them... well my guess anyway.

Should have them early this coming week and hopefully can get them installed to run on our Wed race night. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by losi09
So if I were to go with this knew Cylone S car I should be able to upgrade it to the "pro" car right?
Yes you can. Nice option if you want to do it a little at a time, but it will probably cost you more. Now if you only want to go part way to a Cyclone and/or use 3rd party parts then it works out pretty well. Mine right now is an "S" with aluminum diffs, universals in front, carbon lower chassis, and a few misc other upgrades. It is very fast... a couple of the better racers at our track ran it and thought it was pretty close to their cars or even setup better. They run an RDX and a 415 MRE.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by losi09
I am about to start racing, I had a test run on the track and feel pretty good about keeping up once I have gotten the gearing sorted (parts have been ordered) I am having my 1st race in about 4 weeks so time will tell! I am oretty happy with the car and plan on upgrading it as I go and learn more!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

ok got all the bulkheads last night and put them on to race. All went together pretty well but then I broke my first diff screw and stripped my first center pulley. So can't give too much of a report other than the drivetrain was very smooth when done... no binding. I think I just had my rear diff too tight so when I went to adjust the front to make it a tad bit tighter I broke the screw. Now the pulley could have just worn out or could be the 3racing motor mounts. On the "S" there is a spacer on the center shaft which would not work (too wide). I think it will be fine when I get it shimmed properly. I have no reason to believe everything won't work fine.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Good to hear things seem under control.

I assume the centre pulley mustve stripped when the diff broke, i assume the diff bound up a little like a spool.

So with the bulkheads did you get the new or the old ones? As mentioned the old ones can be used left or right while with the new ones there is a specific right and left bulkhead which must be used on the right side.
I suspect that using the 3racing aluminium diff holders may get around the problem though.

Did you also get the 3racing motor mounts? cause yeah they are narrower than the standard plastic and aluminium ones, so you have to remove the big spacer, but then that leaves a fair amount of slop
Old 02-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Must have gotten the old bulkheads... couldn't find any difference between the 2 pieces. Yes also go the motor mount... just need to get it spaced properly.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

anybody looking for a cyclone s with a ton of options please check rctech forsale.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigb11
anybody looking for a cyclone s with a ton of options please check rctech forsale.
http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?cPath=51_98

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.