Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tub Cyclone `S`

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hobbipro
Will a orion 4800 lipo fit? Not the new one with the carbon sticker, but the square box looking lipo.
It fits but you have to remove the thick foam on one of the side preferably the outer side. The battery will shift a little front and back so you need to space it out with thin foams.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

I raced my cyclone S today. I did well in practice. The car was doing well.

Then as we started qualifing I started to have trouble. I made it through the first qualifier. The second qualifier I hit the wall pretty hard and broke the castor blocks on block sides. Maybe it was two wall hits!! Prior to that I knocked the turnbuckles loose causing the dogbones to fall out.

Somewhere in the mist of all this I managed to strip out one of the center pulleys. The car was smooth until I started hitting stuff. Fun day though. I should have practiced more.

How tight should the belt be?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

those centre pulleys are getting a name for stripping out. i've done about 6 of them.if you have broken the caster blocks,check that the upright/shock tower hasnt cracked.i have done a few of those too. the car seems to be very quick and smooth for a budget car,put they cant take a hit
Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

I am ordering the one that comes on the other cyclone kit. Is it stronger?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yup, it is aluminum.

Maybe try the P-dub foam bumper on the car. You can use the pro4 one on the CF cars so I it should work on the S as well.

How was the build of the car? I have a bud that gets his Friday and we are gonna build it for him to race Saturday, just wondering if there is anything you have found we should check.

Are the kit tires belted?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

lawtonlosi, I posted a question in the standard cyclone forum you could probably help me out with if you get a chance. As far as the build goes it was simple to me. Nothing major at all. You could almost do it without instructions honestly. I think if you have some better turnbuckles and cups I'd throw them on. I was racing down in Memphis today and they kept popping and bending on me. Be careful with the antenna hole too. I snapped mine trying to get the tube in. I'm not sure if the tires are belted or not. They seem to have very soft inserts that lets the tires balloon to much. Oh and like I mentioned above the pulley strips pretty easy.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The kit tires are slicks with a foam insert like the ones that come with HPI's street tires. After a few runs on the kit tires I noticed that the foam would bunch up to one side. You would be better off buyimg RP36's or CS27's.
The build is easy and fast. Take note on the rear suspension hinge pin mount that goes over the belt. I foung out my belt has been rubbing it at high speeds. I checked and double checked to see if I got it wrong but I did not.
I do love the way theis car handles on corners.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

bigair78 -

Do you run with the MSRA? If so I ran my cyclone there in August at the BTH. Car ran great. We ran RP36 Premounts. I will do some checking on the drive shaft question. Im sure they have to have a cvd set that comes in a pair. I will probably let Bailey use my spare pro4 turnbuckles if he has any problems.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

here is a section of a post taken from another forum:

In order to fix this onto the layshaft though, you will need to get the same layshaft as the higher end Cyclones, which also means you will need to get a new spur gear adapter (also aluminium) in order to do the modification. What you will need is:

1 x HB70743 (Direct Layshaft)
1 x HB70711 (Spur Gear Hub)
2 x HB70725 (16T Direct Pulley)

I would also recommend getting the Spur Gear Support Plate (Carbon) which will help keep your spur gear running true. The part number for that one is HB70733.

That should resolve the belt pulley issues as its the same as what is run on the Original Cyclone, as well as the Surikarn and Hara Edition Cyclones
Old 10-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The 3racing website (www.3racing.com.hk) says that they have an aluminium centre pulley coming out. I hope its soon

Lots of other bling coming too, im eyeing off the aluminium spur gear adapater as well.

Are you sure its the plastic stripping or is it a case of the pulley moving out of position? Im going to see if i can shim it out a bit or maybe put a bit of glue on it (but not keen on that).
Old 10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigair78
Anyone having any trouble with the steering throw.

How tight should the belt be? The factory settings seemed to tight and made alot of noise.
I loosed the rear belt a bit by turning the mounting ring around the diff so the notch was facing backwards. After a few runs the rear belt loosened up so i moved them back to face forwards.

With the steering throw check that its not binding at the centre post where the servo saver is. Disconnect it from the servo saver and check that its moving smoothly. Also i found that mounting it on the top hole of the servo horn was making the steering bang hard up against one side of the bulkheads. Ive dialed out the end point on one side of my controller as i dont think this can be a good thing for the servo or the handling.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I run with MSRA. I was at beat the heat for a few runs. Had some problems and called it a day. I sat beside Pooky with Ralph C. I was the one that didn't get there until about 4. My first practice run was my first qualifier. So things didn't turn out great for me. It was only my third race ever.
Originally Posted by lawtonlosi
bigair78 -

Do you run with the MSRA? If so I ran my cyclone there in August at the BTH. Car ran great. We ran RP36 Premounts. I will do some checking on the drive shaft question. Im sure they have to have a cvd set that comes in a pair. I will probably let Bailey use my spare pro4 turnbuckles if he has any problems.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

I am having trouble finding a place with all of this in stock.

Anyone have any idea?

Originally Posted by moot
here is a section of a post taken from another forum:

In order to fix this onto the layshaft though, you will need to get the same layshaft as the higher end Cyclones, which also means you will need to get a new spur gear adapter (also aluminium) in order to do the modification. What you will need is:

1 x HB70743 (Direct Layshaft)
1 x HB70711 (Spur Gear Hub)
2 x HB70725 (16T Direct Pulley)

I would also recommend getting the Spur Gear Support Plate (Carbon) which will help keep your spur gear running true. The part number for that one is HB70733.

That should resolve the belt pulley issues as its the same as what is run on the Original Cyclone, as well as the Surikarn and Hara Edition Cyclones
Old 10-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigair78
I am having trouble finding a place with all of this in stock.

Anyone have any idea?
Try Speedtechrc.com
I think they have everything in stock.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

is hot bodies a japanese brand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.