new to me EVO III questions.... >

new to me EVO III questions....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Valor

new to me EVO III questions....

Old 05-15-2021, 09:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new to me EVO III questions....

Hello everyone, just as the title reads, I acquired a lightly used Evolution III from my brother. He built it, ran 1 battery pack, and raced it the next day. And that was that. He ran it for the weekend and stored it. Fast forward 18 years to last weekend when he was cleaning out his garage and there it was in all its glory. Still looks great today and very clean. KO Propo transmitter and receiver, Keyence ESC, and some stock motor. I know I have to rebuild the shocks but what else is recommended other than lubing some moving parts here and there. My goal is to get it up to date and get it running as it did back in 2003.Need suggestions on motor, ESC, and transmitter/receiver. I don't think it can handle todays brushless setup and I'm on a budget. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
wtcc likes this.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think you could run brushless, just don't go overboard. The weak point in this chassis was often the diff pinion gear, I still have an Evo III Surikarn I've been contemplating putting some gear in.

I think you'd be fine with a 21.5 or 17.5 setup, Hobbywing do some nice combo kits with motor and ESC together.

Servo, my personal choice is Power HD, the R12 is a solid low profile servo and well priced.

Radio, I'd go Futaba 3PV or 4PV. Plenty of useable features but not silly money.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Rebuilding the shocks is a good idea, new seals etc- I would make sure you rebuild the rear ball diff as well, and I assume this has a front one way?

If it's been sat with weight on the wheels I would be looking closely at the sway bars if fitted as well