R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #511
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Question to determine the fate of my Cyclone S...

Is it possible to somehow extend the wheelbase of the car? Protoform bodies are a bit too long for the car...

The car itself is pretty competetive (I can run down or at least keep up with the fastest local guys, and I know I'm not the best driver), but little things like that bother me.
JEMCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #512
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Cyclone S

Hi,
I had my first run with my Cyclone S today and all I can say is this car impressed me. I have not raced electric tourers for nearly 2 years now (I turned to the dark side and raced Nitro tourers) but this car is right on the money and very similar in handling to my last electric drive JRX-S the turn in is very much like the JRX-S and for a sport car it was quite quick and only needed minor tweaking to be on the pace in stock class. I cant wait to get the 13.5 brushless stock in it.

Taffyjnr5
Taffyjnr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #513
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run a Cyclone world's. One of my friend's just bought a Cyclone S, What hop ups would you guy's suggest to get him to buy to make his car competitive in Modified. I read a artical in an Australian magizine called Racing lines where simon Feigl test and reported on how good the car was. I told him about a month ago and my mate bought the car so any input and or picture's would be great.
Thanks
addam
Wing Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #514
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I PERSONALLY WOULDN T RUN A CYCLONE "S" IN MOD. DEFFINATE HOP UPS WOULD BE ALLY BALL DIFFS
pti goliath crawler... (always being modified)
hpi baja 5b ss 29.5 cc setting up 4 1/4 scale speedway
acko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #515
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Chun
I run a Cyclone world's. One of my friend's just bought a Cyclone S, What hop ups would you guy's suggest to get him to buy to make his car competitive in Modified. I read a artical in an Australian magizine called Racing lines where simon Feigl test and reported on how good the car was. I told him about a month ago and my mate bought the car so any input and or picture's would be great.
Thanks
addam
yup ali ball diffs,
a mod or stock motor will make short work of S parts fairly quickly,,,get a mod car WCE for a mod race.
And no titanium, carbon or ali hop up part will make a competive driver, without knowing what the chassie and set up is doing,,,i cant see a tub chas doing the motor justice.
buy all the hop up's that come with a wce car and you should be right...
MANGOMAN's advice is a little more constructive than mine so take his advice, he has given your question good credit..and all in this thread by the look. you must be a saint mangoman giving hope to the weary....
ROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #516
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 194 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROV
yup ali ball diffs,
a mod or stock motor will make short work of S parts fairly quickly,,,get a mod car WCE for a mod race.
And no titanium, carbon or ali hop up part will make a competive driver, without knowing what the chassie and set up is doing,,,i cant see a tub chas doing the motor justice.
buy all the hop up's that come with a wce car and you should be right...
MANGOMAN's advice is a little more constructive than mine so take his advice, he has given your question good credit..and all in this thread by the look. you must be a saint mangoman giving hope to the weary....
For stock the S is great. I have one and race one. It has more traction than plate chassis Cyclone. The high traction arms are basicly on the tub car. Plus the flex the car has increases grip with rubber tire. The only problem guys have had with the S are the cheap caster blocks and the center pully. Change to the 3 Racing center pully and your good to go. For mod, the diff outdrives, center pully and spur hub need to be replaced. They will not last as long in mod.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 PM   #517
Tech Master

Thank's Guy's for your feedback on the Cyclone S
This is what John has ordered for the car.

PARTS
Front and rear Pivot blocks (purple)
Front and rear arms
3 Racing center pullies (purple)
Aluminium rear diff
Front worlds solid axle
MIP CDV front and rear from the world's
Front and rear Cyclone shocks
Jet Racing front C hubs (purple)
Jet Racing Rear hubs (purple)
Jet Racing Knuckle Arms(purple)

Is there anything eles you think he should get.
Thanks
Addam
Old 05-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #518
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

One of our local drivers was driving a cyclone S pretty much stock in mod. Speak to Alonso about it (you know the chap ;P).

But basically the things you should upgrade are:
Since spool would be best in the front upgrade the centre pulley system otherwise the plastic centre pulley to the front will strip.

Upgrade the dogbones to 44mm HD Steel universals. You will also need to get wheel axle stubs and universal rebuild kits.

Maybe upgrade the ball diff to proper diff cups, the plastic on the stock ones is pretty ordinary.

And give the c hubs to an xray driver and if they fit tell them they are great bling!!!! (the stock cyclone S Chubs are made of some really brittle plastic, throw them away and get proper carbon graphite ones).

After that you are looking for bling factor and lightening the car.
I would got for CF main deck next, that lightens the car significantly. If you replace the main deck and not the top deck i found you need a couple of shims for the top deck (dont remember what i put in there i think 1.5mm)

From what i can tell:
Don't change the pivot blocks unless you get a carbon fibre main chassis. I did it and the chassis snapped at the rear on its first run. I think that the tight fit of the pivot block and the fact thats it is metal transmits a lot of stress through to the frame. Also the stock plastic pivot blocks have shims built in already so that the roll centre is already raised. Havent worked out if the add any kickup or anti squat or not.

You dont need to add ackerman to the steering it already has ackerman built into it (i think its 4mm)

Thats all that comes to mind, he should do just fine
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #519
Tech Elite

Ooops should have read all of the posts properly first, dodgeguy pretty much listed everything :P

I note pivot blocks are listed on the list of purchases, please be wary using them, although now that i think about it i didnt raise the pivot block so that would mean there was a massive amount of antisquat on the car which could also stress the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Tub Cyclone `S`-resize-img_2022.jpg  
Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #520
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROV
you must be a saint mangoman giving hope to the weary....
Oh my a jittery driver like me!!! I'll tell you what though when i got the cyclone S i originally had no end of problems with it and if i recall correctly the first 4 or 5 meets i had there was some kind of catastrophic failure where it didnt finish

I remember i was quite peeved at the time and when originally building the kit i was critical of a few issues. Also when building the kit wing chun make sure that the shafts dont bind in the bottom of end caps. Its a common problem and you may need to gently use a reamer or drill bit to round off the hole ( i went straight to some old pro 4 shocks, so i still havent built my ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMCIV
Is it possible to somehow extend the wheelbase of the car?
You can change the wheel base a little but not by much. There are a couple of shims in it which can be rearranged. where the rear hub carrier fits to the suspension arms (step 25 of the manual) you can move the shim z817 inboard to where the z814 shim is (but that will only give you 2mm of adjustment).

If you upgrade the pivot blocks there are also shims which sit around that which can probably be arranged to push the arms further back.

Which reminds me wing chun, dont forget to put shims on the hinge pins if you install pivot blocks. There should be an addendum sheet in the kit which explains this.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 AM   #521
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 194 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Chun
Thank's Guy's for your feedback on the Cyclone S
This is what John has ordered for the car.

PARTS
Front and rear Pivot blocks (purple) Stick with stock
Front and rear arms Why new arms?
3 Racing center pullies (purple)
Aluminium rear diff
Front worlds solid axle
MIP CDV front and rear from the world's No for front. Go with V2 steel
Front and rear Cyclone shocks The stock shocks will work fine
Jet Racing front C hubs (purple) Not needed
Jet Racing Rear hubs (purple) Not needed
Jet Racing Knuckle Arms(purple) Not needed

Is there anything eles you think he should get.
Thanks
Addam
After looking your buddy should just get a WCE. Why get an S when your going to add all of these? If he is running mod and thinks the Aluminium will make the car more durable. He is wrong. It will make the car break more.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #522
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
After looking your buddy should just get a WCE. Why get an S when your going to add all of these? If he is running mod and thinks the Aluminium will make the car more durable. He is wrong. It will make the car break more.

Thanks Guy's
I agree Dodge, When he first bought it, he was going to race in stock not mod. He use to race mod years ago. He said after all this he should have bought a hara,suri or andy, Ha ha.
Oh well if it does not work out he will run it in 540 and buy another one.
Thanks
Addam
Old 05-31-2007, 03:04 AM   #523
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

LMAO @ Addams Sig. I might have a buyer, my brother in law wants to get another car, lemme know how much he wants to sell it for. He should just sell it straight away and get a Cyclone, before you guys hack him to pieces on his first night.

Cheers
Adrian
Old 05-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #524
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

Anybody looking for a cyclone S with lots of options, go here http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...21#post3210221. it has 3r and hotbodies options.
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #525
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

i hope this will be my next car :-)
i730 is offline   Reply With Quote