R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2007, 03:25 AM   #466
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog_racer
I'm pretty impressed with my Cyclone S, I lined up on my first race day against about as much carbon fibre and alloy at the tour de france! I thought I would get toasted with my plastic tub chassis Cyclone S as I was up against Yoko's tricked out TA05's TC4's etc. I won my first 3 B-Grade races and made the A final, I started 6th and if I had of avoided putting the car on its lid in the final few laps would have got 4-5th!. The only changes I have made so far was to locktite the diffs (which didnt budge all day after that!) and ran some Sorex 28R tyres.

I am now keen to complete a few upgrades 1st I am going to do front universals and cups, any other suggestions??

Cheers
Good to hear you had such good luck on the first time out. I'm struggling a little with the set-up in my car. Does anyone mind posting/pm'ing a basic setup?
What motor were you running?
I'm only running a silver can.
Also, my motor is getting very hot. I'm running about 4.19 gear ratio. Is this too low??
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #467
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle
Good to hear you had such good luck on the first time out. I'm struggling a little with the set-up in my car. Does anyone mind posting/pm'ing a basic setup?
What motor were you running?
I'm only running a silver can.
Also, my motor is getting very hot. I'm running about 4.19 gear ratio. Is this too low??
I'll try to remember to post my basic setup in the next few days for you. I only run a silver can also. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #468
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Turtle when you say you are struggling what is the car doing wrong?

Also you will find the 540 motor does get hot in the car. I reckon this is due to the fact that the bottom vent gets covered by the chassis but with another person i know racing the cyclone S they seem to think its fine with the motor.

I dont know about gearing but with 540 i used to start with a rollout around 38-44mm. Probably best to start around 38mm.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #469
Tech Addict

At the moment the car seems to be 'taily' when coming into corners (off-power) and then on-power it has understeer.

I might try gear it differently to try not lug the motor down too much.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #470
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
I dont know about gearing but with 540 i used to start with a rollout around 38-44mm. Probably best to start around 38mm.
I just worked out my rollout (using rubber tyres at 63mm) and i got 47mm!!!
Best I get some other gears and have a play.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #471
Tech Elite

Hmmm thats strange especially in 540. Is the car still stock standard and what tires are you running?

Looks like you run during the day on some pretty grippy asphalt maybe your tires are overheating?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #472
Tech Elite

Oh one thing you can double check is your droop. Make sure when you lift the rear or front of the car that the suspension sags down. IE if you lift the rear (or front) gently a mm or two make sure the wheels are still on the ground. Otherwise as the car corners the wheel will pick up off the ground and youll be driving on 3 wheels.

Also out of the kit the plastic shocks bind at the bottom so make sure that the shocks move smoothly.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #473
Tech Addict

Quote:
Hmmm thats strange especially in 540. Is the car still stock standard and what tires are you running?

Looks like you run during the day on some pretty grippy asphalt maybe your tires are overheating?
Car is bog stock. I have been using Kyosho 30's for tryes since I had them lying around from my Nitro tourer, with red medium inserts.
I have been having a bit of trouble getting heat into the tyres, usually tak a good couple of laps for them to come good.
Since we run a 1525g weight limit, I have had to put some weight in my car. When i put it in it handles like a dog, but that was just me putting it in the wrong spot i think
When the car had no weight in it, it handled really well.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #474
Tech Addict

Quote:
Oh one thing you can double check is your droop. Make sure when you lift the rear or front of the car that the suspension sags down. IE if you lift the rear (or front) gently a mm or two make sure the wheels are still on the ground. Otherwise as the car corners the wheel will pick up off the ground and youll be driving on 3 wheels.

Also out of the kit the plastic shocks bind at the bottom so make sure that the shocks move smoothly.
My kit shocks wok fine, they have shown no sign of binding. One thing I have found though is that over time they seem to 'sag'. I run say 5mm ride height one week, then come back the next week and it has sunk to 3 or 4mm. Is this a common prob?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #475
Tech Addict

Can anyone tell me what effects do the various degree's of front c-hubs have on the cars handling (0deg, 2deg, 4deg)?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #476
Tech Elite

I dont recall ever seeing people running foam tires in 540, perhaps you should ask to borrow some decent rubbers off someone (or a different set of foam, 30 sounds really really soft) to try a few laps?

Shocks probably will sag as the oil bleeds out of them. However, you probably want to store your car with the chassis resting on something instead of on the wheels. That way the shocks are not under constant pressure at all times.

C-Hubs have something to do with stability of the car in a straight line. Ie like the front wheel of a bike tracks straight.
I dont think ive ever seen anyone knowingly use anything but 4 degrees.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #477
Tech Addict

Quote:
I dont recall ever seeing people running foam tires in 540, perhaps you should ask to borrow some decent rubbers off someone (or a different set of foam, 30 sounds really really soft) to try a few laps?

Shocks probably will sag as the oil bleeds out of them. However, you probably want to store your car with the chassis resting on something instead of on the wheels. That way the shocks are not under constant pressure at all times.

C-Hubs have something to do with stability of the car in a straight line. Ie like the front wheel of a bike tracks straight.
I dont think ive ever seen anyone knowingly use anything but 4 degrees.
By Kyosho 30's , i meant rubber tyres.
I always store the car up off its wheels. Maybe the 'sagging' effect will get better over time.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #478
Tech Elite

Im not familiar with kyosho's are they old tires? If you are using tires which are old first the rubber from current tires are better and grippier.
Second the old tires (especially if out of the packet) dry out and lose grip.

Try getting some WD40 and clean the tires with the WD40, use enuff so there is at least a sheen on the tires then throw them in a plastic bag and leave them a few days before racing.

They will come out a lot stickier, wear a little more but it might help.

30s are probably a little hard for 540 racing. I would aim for Sorex or Xenon 28s or Take Off 27s. When you build the tires use a thin insert. You should be able to feel the gap in the tires. And if the tires start over heating you may want to enlargen the hole in the rim or drill a second one. In 540 you probably dont need to play with the holes unless you are racing on a blisteringly hot summers day.

With weight make sure you try to place it so the car is as level as possible down the centre line to start off with but you may want to experiment a little. I know one guy who likes to put a weight on the top of the centre of the front shock tower.

OH BTW turtle, these are just my thoughts if you dont agree with anything please let me know though as i do like to know what does or doesnt work for people
Old 03-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #479
Tech Addict

Thanks for the help. The tyres are brand new, might be just a little too hard.
Thanks again
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #480
Tech Elite

Hmmm im not familar with the brand so i assumed they were some old type. However the fact you had them on a nitro car seems a bit odd as i dont think ive ever seen a nitro runnig rubbers (but i know nothing about nitros).

Are they standard width rims with 0 offset? Double check the rims arent rubbing on the ballcups on top of the knuckles and rear hub carriers. Also double check they arent rubbing on the bottom of the shocks.

One final thing make sure your steering is correctly set, you may need to take some out. The Cyclone S has a lot of ackerman built into the steering. This means when you turn the servo to full lock on your controller it might be smashing up against the bulkheads (which is obviously bad).