R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #421
Tech Initiate

Default Loose Diffs

Hey guys, does anyone know why my diffs lossen up after a couple of runs?, just running a stock 27t motor and 81T/52T spur/pinion, I saw someone earlier mentioned locktighting the nut in the diff. Is this common practice, do you often have to tighten them or is thier something wrong? Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It shouldnt be coming undone that quickly with a stock motor, are you sure you have it done up tight enough in the first place?

Also have you pulled it apart to see if its broken? I had one where the centre post of the diff had snapped off. But it came undone every run when that happened.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #423
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to premium_rc

will someone pose me a list of part #s and items from the cyclone that will work on the sport version please

thanks............. -wiliam-
premium_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #424
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
It shouldnt be coming undone that quickly with a stock motor, are you sure you have it done up tight enough in the first place?

Also have you pulled it apart to see if its broken? I had one where the centre post of the diff had snapped off. But it came undone every run when that happened.
No I havnt pulled it right apart, I do that in the next few days and check, I know its a difficult answer but how tight should it be??

Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #425
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium_rc
will someone pose me a list of part #s and items from the cyclone that will work on the sport version please
thanks............. -wiliam-
I am no expert by any means, but as far as I can tell you can use almost any part from its big brother.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #426
Tech Master

Quote:
bullfrog is basically correct.. you could take any part on the cyclone and put it on the 'S' eventually. Some cases it may take a combination of parts like the center pulley system. You could convert the whole system to a cyclone but you can't just use the shaft. Make sense? Generally the 100% shared parts are the HPI ones from the Pro4.... like arms, C-Hubs, knuckles, bumper, etc... It would be a lot easier to ask about parts for a specific area of the car.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #427
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to losi09

So how do u all like the Cyclone S?
losi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #428
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi09
So how do u all like the Cyclone S?
I love it!! Mine is only about 50% stock now but I've just upgraded as I broke or wore out parts basically. A few parts are little brittle in stock form but performed well for me immediately. As you read through here you'll find it fairly consistent what people think the best upgrades are. If you want something that works well right out of the box, inexpensive, and upgrade as you go I'd highly recommend this car. I think it really is a lot like they stated in the XtremeRC comparison to the T2R. It doesn't look as fast, doesn't feel as fast, but is actually faster. It really is easy to drive and setup.

Tamiya TRF416X
Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #429
Tech Elite

The cyclone S is a good car however there are a few things which are nice to have upgraded. If you are only racing 540/stock though the car should be good enough in kit form once you upgrade the C-Hubs from some weird brittle plastic.

You do have to watch out when upgrading a few parts though. IE if you upgrade to spool or oneway you should upgrade the center pulley system.

If you go to aluminium pivot blocks then you need to buy pivot balls and some 2mm / .75mm shims
Old 02-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #430
Tech Elite

Quote:
Most parts will fit the Cyclone S. Its probably easier if you make a list of what you want to upgrade....
Old 02-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #431
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
The cyclone S is a good car however there are a few things which are nice to have upgraded. If you are only racing 540/stock though the car should be good enough in kit form once you upgrade the C-Hubs from some weird brittle plastic.

You do have to watch out when upgrading a few parts though. IE if you upgrade to spool or oneway you should upgrade the center pulley system.

If you go to aluminium pivot blocks then you need to buy pivot balls and some 2mm / .75mm shims
Sounds like there is a lot of upgrades to do on that car.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #432
Tech Elite

Well you can upgrade it as much as you need or feel you have to spend ;P

Just like the top of the line cars there are a lot of tuning options which you can add... and upgrades which bring it to the level of a full cyclone.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #433
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi09
Sounds like there is a lot of upgrades to do on that car.
Upgrades you CAN do not that you NEED to do. I have been running either 4300 foam or 13.5 rubber with mine and really the only upgrades I've done that made a huge difference was aluminum diffs and front universals. Yes the center pulley has been know to strip for some. I've only stripped one.... if you are running a 3.5 these probably won't hold up. C-Hubs... yeah kinda odd plastic but they are cheap...don't like them upgrade to the HPI Pro4 ones. I had to because no "S" ones in stock. Lets remember here its a $150 car not $400-$500. TA05 owners swear by their cars but how many have upgraded nothing.... probably no one.

Tamiya TRF416X
Old 02-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #434
Tech Initiate

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey
U upgrades I've done that made a huge difference was aluminum diffs and front universals.
I see the aliminium diffs are the 2 metal cups? do you still use the standard pully and bearing? did you use 3R parts?, I am looking at improving my diffs can you supply the part numbers you used? Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #435
Tech Master

Oh ok cool thanks for the tips on what parts to upgrade. I knew I can upgrade the car but I was not sure wich parts would be the best ones to upgrade.