R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #316
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I havent run the car yet but found problems with tolerances in two areas. When screwing down the bulkhead covers it seems to put so much pressure on the standard plastic diff bearing holders that it causes binding in the drive train. (dont know what to do with this yet....)
Hmmm wonder if that might be my problem also. Got my 3 racing chassis yesterday and everything went together well till I got the front upper bulkhead and shock towers on. Before that everything was loose and free.. felt great. I wonder if a tiny little shim between the bulkheads would cure it. Guess I should experiment a little and see if that is actually the problem.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:45 AM   #317
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Anybody that is looking to update their Cyclone "S" with a graphite chassis, I have a complete Kit that I no longer need, its a brand new chassis,top deck and shock towers!! pm me if interested.

I bought a hara kit and built it for carpet (BMI chassis)
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #318
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can you take a cyclone S, slap a BMI chassis on it and use it for carpet? Or are some parts on the S not as high quality as a regular cyclone?
JoelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #319
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelV
Can you take a cyclone S, slap a BMI chassis on it and use it for carpet? Or are some parts on the S not as high quality as a regular cyclone?
you can
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #320
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelV
Marcos is right about the chassis itself... however with the whole BMI kit you will need the cyclone upper bulkheads to use the BMI shock towers. As far as not as high quality .... well the "S" is plastic so and the scaled down version so yes some of the parts are not as high quality. The parts causing me the most grief are the dogbones, plastic diffs, and chassis. I've replaced the chassis and parts coming for the others. Another common problem folks have been having is stripping the center pulleys.. personally I've had no issues with that. Even with those issues I really like how the car drives, its just those parts are causing me to break a little more than I should be.

Tamiya TRF416X
Old 11-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #321
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl
try loosening your belts so your drivetrain parts, specially the center pulley, won't be stressed much. your motor must have serious power
Okkie thanks pearl will try. Unfortunately the motor doesnt have that much power Just been using a CO27 and had a couple of runs with a Komodo
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #322
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey
Hmmm wonder if that might be my problem also. Got my 3 racing chassis yesterday and everything went together well till I got the front upper bulkhead and shock towers on. Before that everything was loose and free.. felt great. I wonder if a tiny little shim between the bulkheads would cure it. Guess I should experiment a little and see if that is actually the problem.
Yeah i was thinking about shimming it too, but when i placed the bulk head covers over the bulkeads with the diff bearing holders i saw there was quite a large gap. I figured that shimming the part would still create a fair amount of flex to occur and esepcially as they hold the shock towers i decided to ditch the bulkheads and just use the bulk head covers with the graphite shock towers till i get some feedback on the items.

I posted a query on the 3racing.com.hk forum about this but noone has replied yet
Old 11-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #323
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

What should I do? I can get the Cyclone "S", but need it to be able to handle Novak 4.5R motor. Dont know if the stock plastic outdrives can handle it. Will propably need front aluminum outdrives or steel ones, and delrin rears. Will need new CVD's. Will also get CF shock towers, top deck and chassis. Any other suggestions?

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #324
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim
What should I do? I can get the Cyclone "S", but need it to be able to handle Novak 4.5R motor. Dont know if the stock plastic outdrives can handle it. Will propably need front aluminum outdrives or steel ones, and delrin rears. Will need new CVD's. Will also get CF shock towers, top deck and chassis. Any other suggestions?
It will definately need metal outdrives. The dogbones will hold out, but be prepared to work those diffs. To reduce flex, upgrade to main and upper chassis woven from Horizon Hobby. Stiffen the springs and you are almost there. Most places dont have the metal outdrives in stock. Titanium racing does, but it aint cheap. $71 dollars for the car, shipped. BUT, they help. Also, get the Cyclone blades. Ebay has the shock towers for like $17 apiece, so get it while they last.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #325
Tech Master

yyhayyim - Might want to upgrade the center pulley system also.

Tamiya TRF416X
Old 11-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #326
Tech Elite

yyhayyim, If you know you want to upgrade that much stuff you should do some calculations to see how the pricing compares relative to buying the full kit. I've sunk a bit of money into my cyclone S at the moment, although it was partially done with the intent of seing how it would upgrade.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #327
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kwellst

where can you get the blades at??
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #328
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

who has the cheapest price on these?
TZona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #329
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
yyhayyim, If you know you want to upgrade that much stuff you should do some calculations to see how the pricing compares relative to buying the full kit. I've sunk a bit of money into my cyclone S at the moment, although it was partially done with the intent of seing how it would upgrade.
Marginally, upgrading in increments comes out to be slightly more expensive in the long run but, that being said, there are hop-ups that one doesnt need to purchase for the car to be competitive.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #330
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwellst
where can you get the blades at??
I would try speedtech or if all else fails contacts Champs in Japan.