R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #301
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kwellst

sorry for double posting i noticed that the diff gears were loose, side by side, but i cannot turn them if i hold both of the outdrives. any help would be much appreciated as i do not want to drive the car and tear it up.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #302
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bxpitbull
for the cyclone acceleration issue, you can increase acceleration by tightening your belt on the bearing mount, but you may have to replace your belt more often with this adjustment. i'm not sure but i think the minor noise is normal, in my car i just make sure that my drivetrain works properly without bind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwellst
i noticed that the diff gears were loose, side by side, but i cannot turn them if i hold both of the outdrives. any help would be much appreciated as i do not want to drive the car and tear it up.
try rebuild it, check if any of the parts are broken.

mangoman: that car must be fast
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 AM   #303
Tech Adept

i pulled both the diffs out. first i made sure they were still tight and didnt loose their settings. i then pulled them apart and inspected everything. nothing was broken, i rebuilt them per the instruction manual. they still do it. i dont wanna leave it and run the car in fear of tearing the diffs up, yet i do not see a fix for it. i emailed hotbodies to see what they have to say and i am waiting for their reply.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #304
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you are referring to a slight wobble of the drive pully, that is normal.
Long Island Raceway
Capt.Micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #305
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS STORTI

cyclone s with graphite chassis,topdeck,rear deck in the sale forum
DENNIS STORTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #306
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl
I wish it was The car seems to be jinxed.

So far ive had the following problems:

First Run/Meet
Installed HB front one way with version 2 universals. The version 2 universal wouldnt fit in the plastic diff outdrives so i had to run dogbones on the rear diff
After runing for 3 heats switched back to old car because the car was undrivable. Only found out after the meet that the centre pulley was stripped so the car was rear wheel drive.

Second Meet
Stripped the centre pulley again, pulled out the oneway which as i suspected fixed the problem. Rest of the meet the car was doing strange things and i had to revert to old car again. I think it was doing strange things though as i was running spring sets which were WAY too hard on the rear.

Third Meet
First run main chassis snapped between the rear pivot blocks, so i needed to order parts quick
Turns out the 3racing centre pulley was released i think the day after i placed my order

Last weekend
Had to take off all the 3racing aluminium bulkheads and the 3racing motor mount due to what appears to be problems with tollerances. But have the graphite main chassis upper deck and shock towers with aluminium bulkhead covers. Car is nice and light as the plastic is lighter than the aluminium.
Hopes are high as the car looks nice with the graphite parts and bits of shiny aluminium.

Anyway first run the car is playing up, turns out the diff came loose. Did it up and it comes loose again in the second run. Im thinking hmmm should i go back to the old car. Over do the rear diff this time. One last run.
The car stops halfway through the race. The rear diff has come loose and the front diff is like a spool. **SIGH**
I get home checked the car both diffs damaged. The rear diff which was coming loose the post on the out drive which sticks out for you to put the small bearings on (or bushings on the standard kit) has snapped off. The other outdrive the D on one side of the outdrive which holds the actual ring had sheared off there was plastic all through the interals of the diff.

Oh well i think it will be a couple more weeks now before i order more parts to get it going again, i think the car has jinxed me because i was thinking about buying the full kit and shouldve done it at the time
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #307
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
bxpitbull
for the cyclone acceleration issue, you can increase acceleration by tightening your belt on the bearing mount, but you may have to replace your belt more often with this adjustment. i'm not sure but i think the minor noise is normal, in my car i just make sure that my drivetrain works properly without bind.

Figured it out, but decided to trade it. I got lucky and someone has a Pro 4 they are willing to part with. I found the sweet spot but for me, I like the instant response of shaft. Coming out of turns, the Cyclone, between the two cars, cant be beat.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #308
Tech Master

Quote:
bxpitbull

It was tight, and someone suggested loosening. I figure its easier to go back to what I am good at and thats shaft.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #309
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
I wish it was The car seems to be jinxed.
try loosening your belts so your drivetrain parts, specially the center pulley, won't be stressed much. your motor must have serious power

i had the same experience with the one-way, good thing i had spare spring steel one-way outdrives laying around. just need to get rid of the "play" with something to get a good fit.

bxpitbull
now that was fast, good luck
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #310
Tech Master

Quote:
try loosening your belts so your drivetrain parts, specially the center pulley, won't be stressed much. your motor must have serious power

i had the same experience with the one-way, good thing i had spare spring steel one-way outdrives laying around. just need to get rid of the "play" with something to get a good fit.

bxpitbull
now that was fast, good luck

I know how I am about this hobby. If something isnt for me, then I move on.I would hate to pour a ton of money into the car and not be totally satisfied. The Pro 4 suits my aggressive driving style and I guess I got used to the pushing into the corner. Thanx.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #311
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Micro
If you are referring to a slight wobble of the drive pully, that is normal.
i was referring to the pulleys on the diffs
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #312
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwellst
i was referring to the pulleys on the diffs
That is normal on the cyclone
Long Island Raceway
Capt.Micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #313
Tech Adept

i didnt know, ive only owned shaft drives up until now. after racing the season againsts a bunch of belt cars. i thought i'd try it and see what would happen. i always thought belt cars would need more attention. ie: that the belts would stretch soon after and i'd have to buy/replace belts every 2 weeks.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #314
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah i always assumed that too, but my friend assures me that is not the case. The thing which concerns me most though is the open diffs. I hate having to clean my car and dont look forward to regularly having to clean the diffs out.

Most of the time I dont even usually bother dusting my shaft-drive car down.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #315
Tech Adept

i did my tamiya before and after each race not rounds but race. and that was with foam tires, i started with foams in july and ive still got the set ive run on since, yet i havent trued them yet... no tire truer tho. but im gonna go back to rubber since that is the rule. we just started a carpet track here and our first race is sat. lets see what the stock setup can do. oh my tamiya had 1 deg rear toe and the cyclone comes stock with 3. ive noticed so far that the cyclone turns in alot easier(because of toe). so i will have to adjust my driving style until i get some rear toe blocks.