Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
what do you want from a battery company? >

what do you want from a battery company?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what do you want from a battery company?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Don't wait...start developing Li-Po. Then we don't have to deal with those special team drivers only 1.2953V special match cell for $30 each cell. LOL

P.S...I am sure when Li-po are the standard, there are always someone will come out "MATCHED" Li-po to seperate $150 and $300 per pack...battery wars will never end, so does brushless motor.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hand out battery races

One way to handle this for big races is that each racer gets 12 battery cells (2 packs) as hand-outs, just like they do for motors.

For each heat you teched to ensure you are using the hand out cells.

Then this gets around the issue that some people have better/newer (just released) cells, that the others don't have. It's the luck of the draw to who gets which good cell.

Of course mfg's will hate it, since they can no longer advertise that their new cells dominated at a race. In fact the handouts can be the old 3300's that are now at the bottom end of the pricing scale.

So going to a race would overall mean less $$, don't have to buy the new expensive batteries, instead use that cash on the lower priced hand out batteries.

If a racer burned up their batteries, well it's tuff luck and they're done. So that prevents people from trying to get a different set of handout batteries if they didn't like their initial set.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by deforest
One way to handle this for big races is that each racer gets 12 battery cells (2 packs) as hand-outs, just like they do for motors.

Then this gets around the issue that some people have better/newer (just released) cells, that the others don't have. It's the luck of the draw to who gets which good cell.

Of course mfg's will hate it, since they can no longer advertise that their new cells dominated at a race. In fact the handouts can be the old 3300's that are now at the bottom end of the pricing scale.

So going to a race would overall mean less $$, don't have to buy the new expensive batteries, instead use that cash on the lower priced hand out batteries.

If a racer burned up their batteries, well it's tuff luck and they're done. So that prevents people from trying to get a different set of handout batteries if they didn't like their initial set.
I think the best way to save money on big races is to skip them and simply race club races. Big races mean increased competiton on all levels (driving, equipment). What next? Handicap better drivers or faster chassis with time penalties?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deforest

I think you need to try "spec" racing.....This type of stuff is not meant for National events as we have them now. Perhaps you should ask Roar to start some sort of "Spec" or "Sportsman" class for something like this.

EA
Old 05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

MY FAMILY HAS BEEN RACING SOMETHING CARS BOATS TRUCK GO CARTS FOR 50 YEARS MY DADDY ALWAYS SAID RUN WHAT CHA BRUNG AND HOPE YA BROUGHT ENOUGH!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Personally, I want Lipos. I'm sick of Alkaline, NiCd, and NiMH, low runtimes, poor performance, etc.

I also love when I write a company asking them a question, and the person who replies speaks to me as if he actually wants to help me, wants my business, and most imporantly, knows what he is talking about. I'm so sick of writing a company, then getting a reply from someone who doesn't know anything beyond how to type, and then when I ask a follow up question because they couldn't answer my first one properly, they get short and rude with me like I'm the stupid one. Not my fault the company can't put all pertinant information right on their website.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Big races are big for a reason. They're a chance for all the manufacturers and drivers to show their best against the best for the world/nation to see. If that means one manufacturer has a better motor, battery, chassis, etc... then they deserve to win the race. Their product was/is better. Big races aren't really meant to be economical. Granted, we all try and save money and cut cost where we can. Especially those of us who are paying out of pocket. But you can't limit everything on the cars. Handout motors are used in the stock and some 19 turn classes at most big races. Those classes were originally for the independent drivers who didn't have factory support and were there to show their talents to the manufacturers.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi everyone im Joe and im very excited about VOODOO... trust me Dr Voodoo does not play games. his stuff is goin to break new grounds as far as quality and pricing. i know first hand on what this company is capable of. 6-1-06 watch out!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

This is what we want from battery manufactureres:

Build the highest capacity battery rate for RCs. For example, after 3300s, why didn't they just jump to 4300s instead of coming up with 3600s or 3800s? I believe that 4300s are the highest as of now. Skip the 4600s, 4700s or 4800s. Hopefully, the next one will be a 5200 or 5300. If it's possible to build 8300s, why not?

Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I want them to push Ifmar/roar approval for Lipos
Old 05-10-2006, 06:03 AM
SPC

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
.... I'm so sick of writing a company, then getting a reply from someone who doesn't know anything beyond how to type, and then when I ask a follow up question because they couldn't answer my first one properly, they get short and rude with me like I'm the stupid one. Not my fault the company can't put all pertinant information right on their website.
1. Honest numbers on the cell labels!
2. Customer service.
3. Competitive pricing.
4. Assembly offered as an option.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SPC
1. Honest numbers on the cell labels!
2. Customer service.
3. Competitive pricing.
4. Assembly offered as an option.