R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2002, 08:07 PM   #16
Super Moderator
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mike, you do know that's a machine wound arm, right?To my knowledge, ALL 19 turn arms for those spec 19 turn classes are machine-wound..
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12
Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:55 PM   #17
Team EAM
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Originally posted by rcconcept
You guy`s should go see BigJim.
LOL and why would we want to go see him? He's just a disgrunteled former employee!! But where credit is due he is one of the best motor designers/builders/tuners out there.
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | ORCA | Apex RC | ProSpec America | Killer Concepts | AVID | Futaba.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:04 PM   #18
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Ummm, if I remember correctly, Paul Lemieux works for Trinity as a motor arm winder. Maybe you could fuss at him the next big race...

Mike I'm not taking sides with Trinity, in fact I'm not a big fan of theirs, but I bet if you just send it to them they'll send you a new one.

BTW, Paul really does (or did) wind arms for Trinity. I think he told me he just runs the winding machine. Also, I talked to Billy Easton the other day at LRP- he's in customer service and he's actually a very good customer service rep. Very professional and customer oriented. Not that I'm surprised or thought any less of him, it just isn't how I envisioned him.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:08 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Everyone must keep in mind that these motors are produce in such huge quantity that the workers that are hired to wind the arms probably do not have the best experience in perfecting a balance arm, or have the patience to actually do it.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:27 AM   #20
Tech Elite
Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Guy's .... No where did I say it was hand wound did I? I know these are machine wound. All I am saying is that someone has to take the arms that the machine winds and put them in a truer and balancer (since it was advertised as a Pro Arm)....becasue we all know machine wound arms not balanced very well. I do not see how someone could balance the arm or tru the arm with the windings sticking out as it is....unless that person put 3-4 metal shims on the end to give it enough clearance in the v-guides.....in which case he would have had to see that it was bad and probably not within spec and it should have not been packaged. I e-mailed Trinity and have not heard back from them yet. I just don't want to send it in to them because I had a friend that sent back some stuff to trinity and they said they never got it.

RCInfinity- That is fine and all but if they don't have the patients or understanding of how to Balance a arm then they should not be working in the area where they do teh PRO Arms... IF you are going to sell Pro Arms then I hope the people that are doing it know what they are doing.

Last edited by mike_Webb; 12-31-2002 at 06:29 AM.
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:31 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Thats why I always use Axiom Top motors. Never had one bad top or mvp arm.
teamAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:10 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

I am sure they will replace it but you are right. Say they make 10000 arms and some are sold as pro versions you would think they could find one you could just install and run (not have to mess with 3 washers and it still hitting). The wire not touching the others like that would have to affect the efficiencey. I heard storys about the aluminum stuff being crappy( parts not fitting set screw threads not being cut right ect) oh and try to get picco parts and then be able to afford them!
BIG DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 01:37 PM   #23
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wanna talk about the Big T aliuminum parts, they sure look and claim they are machines aluminum.... however they are cast!! I have a freind who had a set of XXX-S rear hubs that broke in half!!!LOL

Remember when they did the Ad blitz for the aluminum parts.... the one comparing the Big T set-up with the guy in a lab coat to a small shop which had some scruffy bumb looking dude?? The guy in the "ther guys shop" was actually a Trinity employee who worked in shipping!!! Who was fprobably finally promoted to the position at which QC'd Mike's arm!!!LOL
G's RC Raceway- Best off-road track on the east coast...period!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:38 PM   #24
Tech Elite
Default Trinity Quality

I'm NOT defending Trinity, but I do have several Friends that work for them and just like any big company defects slip through time to time.
I have met the guy that makes most of Trinity Aluminum parts and HIS stuff is TOP Quality machined from Billet Alum.
I had some of his prototype RC10GT Aluminium parts and they were definately machined from Billet Alum.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:52 AM   #25
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

a couple of points -

first, if you don't buy the Pro version it likely won't be balanced. Supposedly, the Pro versions are balanced and trued

second, truing, winds and balancing are separate things. The picture above shows a crappy wind.. .not unusual in a Trinity motor.

Third, and most damning to me - I have, for a long time, bought the pro versions of the P2K and P2K2 because they were balanced and trued. BULL. First thing I do is to true the comm and IT AIN"T TRUE! Nowhere NEAR true. . .

On the other hand, take a Peak motor out, put it on a lathe and just check the trueness of the comm. . .man, it's dead on!

Now I just gotta find out how to make them run as fast as a Trinity. . .
RC10L2.5W - RC12.4 - RCNTC3(bmi) - TC4 (modded) - B44.2 - plus rent-a-rides! :D
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 09:04 AM   #26
Tech Elite
Lightbulb Re: Trinity Quality control

Originally posted by popsracer

Anyone thought of using a magnetic balancer like the Top-Flight to check balance. Think I will try during the next teardown.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:28 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

I bumped into Big Jim one time at SoCal Raceway and asked him about some comments he made in his motor book about the way motors are handed out by Trinity. His response went something like this.

The best arms & cans go to team drivers.

The other good stuff becomes 'pro' versions

The leftovers become the 'standard' versions

He said there are only two things you can look for to indicate a good arm.

1. Drilling on 2 or less arm segments
2. Comm is centered or slightly to left of center (stock only)

I'm sure when he said this he wasn't discounting bent shafts, broken parts, or windings so loose they don't clear the can, however he did say that loose windings aren't necessarily a bad thing.
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote