R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Rear Wing Position..... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/112168-rear-wing-position.html)

Skiddins 04-30-2006 04:14 AM

Rear Wing Position.....

Does moving the rear wing have much of an effect on rear end grip?

I know there is limited movement that can be achieved by the mounting position on the rear deck but there is also the position of the bodyshell.

How much effect can the positions have or is the basic design of the bodyshell the main sticking point?

Skiddins

Manning 04-30-2006 08:02 AM

Moving the wing towards the front or rear of the car makes a noticable difference..... Easy to try if the wing is bolted on and the all the holes are already there.

Never tried moving the entire body.

Tsquare 04-30-2006 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Does moving the rear wing have much of an effect on rear end grip?

I know there is limited movement that can be achieved by the mounting position on the rear deck but there is also the position of the bodyshell.

How much effect can the positions have or is the basic design of the bodyshell the main sticking point?

Skiddins

All three variables you mention have an effect on the handling of the car. The basic body design probably being the most important, then body position and rear wing. You will need to experiment with your driving style and setup to really determine what is going to be most beneficial to you. Good Luck. :)

eR1c 07-17-2018 01:12 PM

I realize this is a super super super old thread, but didn't want to start a new thread (since this one existed).

I recently purchased a Protoform Type-S body for my on-road 17.5 touring car. I notice that the rear wing has 3 positions to mount it. I know that each position will have a different effect on handling, can someone tell me ...what effect does moving the rear wing forward towards the front of the car vs back away from the car have?

I can take a photo if it helps, ..but figure this should be an easy thing to answer.
thanks,

Marcos.J 07-17-2018 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by eR1c (Post 15262927)
I realize this is a super super super old thread, but didn't want to start a new thread (since this one existed).

I recently purchased a Protoform Type-S body for my on-road 17.5 touring car. I notice that the rear wing has 3 positions to mount it. I know that each position will have a different effect on handling, can someone tell me ...what effect does moving the rear wing forward towards the front of the car vs back away from the car have?

I can take a photo if it helps, ..but figure this should be an easy thing to answer.
thanks,

more to the back more stability

eR1c 07-17-2018 01:18 PM

Thanks,
;)

Skiddins 07-19-2018 02:17 AM

And vice versa, the further the forward the wing, the less rear stability you have, but you usually gain some steering as a consequence.

Don't ever remember starting this thread lol

eR1c 07-19-2018 11:34 AM

Don't ever remember starting this thread lol
LOL, ...you started this thread over 12yrs ago ...who knew it would still be relevant to someone at some point?!

Simond001 03-29-2022 05:28 AM

And still relevant :)

TT02 has the option to increase the rear wing angle. I am guessing the steeper the angle the higher the downforce. is that correct?

0010 03-29-2022 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Simond001 (Post 15889646)
And still relevant :)

TT02 has the option to increase the rear wing angle. I am guessing the steeper the angle the higher the downforce. is that correct?

Yes, and more drag. Everything is a tradeoff.

glennhl 03-29-2022 09:57 AM

Both the drag on the wing and the downforce of the wing acts on the perpendicular distance to the rear axle as a lever to remove the front downforce and put it on the rear. Moving the wing back increases the lever arm for the downforce proponent of the rear wing. Also, moving the wing up increases the lever arm for the drag proponent of the wing. So moving the wing back and/or up removes downforce on the front tires and puts it on the rear tires.

Nerobro 03-31-2022 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by glennhl (Post 15889719)
Both the drag on the wing and the downforce of the wing acts on the perpendicular distance to the rear axle as a lever to remove the front downforce and put it on the rear. Moving the wing back increases the lever arm for the downforce proponent of the rear wing. Also, moving the wing up increases the lever arm for the drag proponent of the wing. So moving the wing back and/or up removes downforce on the front tires and puts it on the rear tires.

No, it acts on a virtual point defined more by the suspension geometry and spring rates. Not the rear axle.

Unless you're seeing massive changes in ride height, you're not removing downforce.... But you are changing the center of pressure.

trx-1racer 03-31-2022 05:48 AM

The general trend is to mount the body farther forward on the chassis and then the wing as far back as possible. With the goal being to generate as much downforce as possible at BOTH ends of the car.

fat500 03-31-2022 08:58 AM

Trx1 Nailed it...Bam!:nod:

glennhl 03-31-2022 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nerobro (Post 15890249)
No, it acts on a virtual point defined more by the suspension geometry and spring rates. Not the rear axle.

Unless you're seeing massive changes in ride height, you're not removing downforce.... But you are changing the center of pressure.

Would like to know more how the springs and suspension geometry affects the CP. But yes, what I was saying is that as you increase the rear wing leverage, it removes front downforce and puts it in the rear, thus moving the CP rearward. In Indycar they increase the front and/or rear wings to move the CP fore and aft. And they have a real world measurement of this. They know the load on the front and rear axles while the car is racing and since they also know the static weight on each axle, they can do some quick calcs to determine where the CP is.

The way I look at it, the downforce/drag on the rear wing reacts into the ground at the rear tire. And since it produces a moment at this point, it pushes down on the rear tire and pulls up on the front tire. The springs are just along for the ride. Increased load on the rear tire will compress the rear spring by Force/spring rate. The front spring will actually increase in length because of the moment removes some of the force on the front tire. Mind you, even though it removes some force on the front tires, it's not enough to remove all force down on the front tires.

I'm open to anyone's interpretation of this, I'm always willing to learn as much as I can.

EDIT: I think I could state this more clearly. When I say it removes front downforce, it doesn't really, there is the same amount of aero downforce on the front, it's just that some of that goes to the rear tires because of the lever moment of the rear wing.