Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP Pulsar Charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default LRP Pulsar Charger

Hello people, this is my first post.. yay.

Anyways, i am wondering anyones oppinion on the LRP Competition PUlsar Charger, what are you experiences? waht have you heard? etc.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2002, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

It works very well for me. The only things are that it is getting a bit hot when "mathcing" (charging/discharging) packs, and that you can`t discharge with a higher Amp-rate, and to a lower V-setting(when discharging packs with few cells).
Old 12-15-2002, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

sorry guys.. searched and found heaps on it..

sorrys
Old 12-15-2002, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Hello,
I have the LRP pulsar now about a month and it is a good charger.
What do I like about it:
+ it doesn't false peak
+ it can run my com lathe and my soldering iron
+ it can run in my motor
+ it can match my packs, ie charge - discharge, and then give
you discharged capacity and avarage voltage and time
+ it charges up to 8A
+ you can set a charge delay
+ I like it's blue color

What don't I like:
+ it doesn't have a temp sensor
+ it only discharges with 10A
+ the blue backlight display is unreadible if you don't have
enough light

All in all I bought it especially for the run in possibility to power my
com lathe, soldering iron and to run my motor (in races I always let my motor run just before the start).

I think it is a good charger to but I also have a Robitronic 2000+ charger and this one is still my favourite charger (temp sensor, clear menus,...).
Old 12-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I have had a pulsar for about a month. I like it very much, however while breaking in a motor today I noticed the voltage varied. The motor speed went up and down. I measured the voltage at the leads and found 1.2 volts when the display on the charger said 3 volts. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-16-2002, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That is my big beef with this darn charger. The motor voltage varies no matter what you put into the charger you will be lucky to get at most 3 volts out to the motor. if you turn it on without a motor on it, it will read the correct voltage but when you hook up a motor it will be much lower. I called lrp and talked to them and they said that it is designed to lower the voltage depending on the amp draw. Now I ask what is the good of that it is pretty much useless to break in motors or run a com lathe. In my opinion they false advertised it who wants to run a motor at 1.2 volts it barely turns over.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Hmmm. Dissapointing. Actually, I was considering this charger, but this dont sound nice.

The manual promises a lot, but if that motor-run-in-thing dont work properly....

From the manual:

MOTOR RUN-IN

You can use this function in a number of ways, e.g.:
• Running in the motor or motor brushes (check for excess current consumption).
• Powering com-lathes
• Powering 7.2 V soldering irons
The voltage setting (you can change this during operation), current and operating time are displayed.
SET Motor Run-In Voltage:
The voltage is continuously variable from 2.0 V to 7.2 V. We recommend a voltage of 4.0 V for running in
motor brushes. The special run-up electronics allow trouble-free running-in of motors with very high no-load currents and low number of turns when you set the charger to low voltages.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Basically it cannot handle any load at all. Even a crappy stock motor will pull about 5-6 amps at 2-3 volts on a turbo 35 and on a lrp it limits the voltage going to that same motor to only about 1-1.5 volts and at that voltage it is useless for anything it would take you a year to break in a motor.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

You're right to a point that the run-in feature wasn't perfect, the voltage was limited to make sure all motors can be run in some way. So it was even possible to run a 8t with high timing, this would draw way more then 9A! The downside was that the voltage on the display was wrong under some circumstances and that the motor ran rather slow sometimes!
But this really doesn't mean that the brushes can't be broken in or that the comm-lathe will not run fine, that will work without a problem at all.

Anyway, we recently did an update and the newer models have spot-on voltage and allow currents up to 14Amps!

Guess that all the positive features shouldn't be forgotten! It was certainly never the case that we tried to mislead anyone.

Hope that helps and answers the questions.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Iceman (racing partner) just got one, and the dang blue backlight went out before he ever got to charge a battery!! He called LRP and they said it must be the fuse, but he replaced the fuse- still no light. He's pretty disappointed and so am I.

Kingzj- sounds to me like a lame excuse for a problem they didn't catch before going into full production- what about you?
Old 12-16-2002, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Ya it was pretty lame I am still waiting for mine to get back from lrp I sent it in because I thought their was a problem
Old 12-16-2002, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Burito, you said there is an update that will allow more amps, will LRP update the early Pulsars for us or are we out of luck? Also, even when using 2-3 volts for a motor or a lathe the voltage varies causing uneven RPM will the update fix this? I really like the charger, the timed start for charging is an excellent feature as is being able to change amps during charge. I would hate to get rid of it, I just don't like the output issue.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

As a charger is is fine everything else sucks
Old 12-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by burito

Anyway, we recently did an update and the newer models have spot-on voltage and allow currents up to 14Amps!

What will be done to all existing chargers? I just bought mine about a week ago. Am I SOL??? I guess I'll have to give AE a call and see what can be done.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

Reto, Are the new ones in full circulation yet?? I am thinking about getting one in the next couple of weeks, so would obviousely rather an updated version.

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.