Old 04-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Help to choose a comm lathe

Hi all,

I'm studing to by my first comm lathe. I'm thinking to buy one ot the follow:
- Hudy Advanced/Tech - V guide
- Integy Auto Lathe
- Team Cobra

Any one can tell more information about them? The fixed speed affects the quality of this late or the arm spin control fix this?

Last question: hudy only work with diamond but or I can put a carbid into them?

thanks for any information

Sampaio
Old 04-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/search.php?searchid=592442
Old 04-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sampaio
Hi all,

I'm studing to by my first comm lathe. I'm thinking to buy one ot the follow:
- Hudy Advanced/Tech - V guide
- Integy Auto Lathe
- Team Cobra

Any one can tell more information about them? The fixed speed affects the quality of this late or the arm spin control fix this?

Last question: hudy only work with diamond but or I can put a carbid into them?

thanks for any information

Sampaio
Of the three you listed, they will all do a good job. The Hudy is the best quality machine, but you pay for it. The Auto-Lathe is a good value, but large in size and weight compared to the others. I would only get a lathe with V - Guides and you can put a carbide bit into a Hudy lathe. I favor carbide over the diamond bits. IMHO
Old 04-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

try this im selling mine

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112140

it works fine i can lower it down to 75 for both..i just got a new integy auto super lathe..
Old 05-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had the Integy Auto and, honestly, it couldn't cut for balls. Several people - experienced racers, I might add - tried for hours to get one decent cut from that thing, but we always got "ripples" and striations on the comm.

The first cut I made with my Hudy Advanced - and every cut thereafter - has been perfect... and that's with a $3 carbide bit, I might add.

I really do not recommend the Integy Auto. The Hudy is nice, but expensive.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

for real?? im getting mine this thursday...i will try it... mybe theres a miss alignment or some technical setup problem you over looked
Old 05-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jason B
I had the Integy Auto and, honestly, it couldn't cut for balls. Several people - experienced racers, I might add - tried for hours to get one decent cut from that thing, but we always got "ripples" and striations on the comm.

The first cut I made with my Hudy Advanced - and every cut thereafter - has been perfect... and that's with a $3 carbide bit, I might add.

I really do not recommend the Integy Auto. The Hudy is nice, but expensive.
Hi Jason B,

Thanks a lot for information, reading about the lathe, I think the best options are Hudy and Cobra, I know Fanton many guys said that is graet too, but is too much expensive to me. But other single question, about the diamond bit, I ask McMaster about international ship, They tell me not ship to overseas (I'm Brazil) and I want to start with carbide. Anyone know if is possible to use Integy, Cobra or other bit into Hudy?

If anyone has carbide bit for Hudy to selle I'm interested......

[]s

Sampaio
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Cobra uses standard 1/4" square lathe tooling that should be available anywhere. I have a diamond bit, but I can't imagine why its necessary. I used to work in a machine shop as a lathe operator and we didn't even use carbide or diamond bits on brass, just standard HSS properly sharpened cuts fine. On the other hand, we are making very minimal cuts on the comm and perhaps diamond bits work better at making such minimal cuts. Nothing I ever had to do for work. You took your measurements and cut off as much as you could in one pass. Its all about productivity in most cases.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Orion or trinity both really good. For the money Get the orion unless you just like trinity better<><>
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sampaio
Hi Jason B,

Thanks a lot for information, reading about the lathe, I think the best options are Hudy and Cobra, I know Fanton many guys said that is graet too, but is too much expensive to me. But other single question, about the diamond bit, I ask McMaster about international ship, They tell me not ship to overseas (I'm Brazil) and I want to start with carbide. Anyone know if is possible to use Integy, Cobra or other bit into Hudy?

If anyone has carbide bit for Hudy to selle I'm interested......

[]s

Sampaio
That sucks that McMaster won't ship internationally... I use standard AL4 bits on my Hudy (the same as the Integy) and those bits are $3USD a pop. I spent $15 and got 3 excellent bits.

My Hudy lathe is some of the best money I've spent (in R/C, that is).

As far as mis-aligning the Auto lathe, there is no alignment to be made. Everything is keyed. I suppose maybe I got a defective one, but I've heard others complain of the same. Big Jim swore by the auto lathe, but I personally thought it needed improvement.